Jet Jon Build Pics ...VIDEOS LINKED!!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

majkowskid

Reaction score
So, with help from a couple of people i've met online, i've been in the process of converting a 13.5' Explorer fiberglass flat bottom boat into a 'jet-jon' utilizing the engine/jet pump from a 2000 yamaha xl700 ski.

it's been slow going until recently, because of the mass amounts of fiberglass work i had to do. lots of cutting, sanding, glass, etc.

I've never attempted anything like this before, and i must say i'm proud of myself! the boat was given to me, and the jet ski was wrecked and i've traded a bit of labor for it. The engine only had 51 hours on it, so it's in prime condition.

I hate to say, i didn't have pics of the boat before i started working on it. didn't have a camera at the time.

This is what it looked like as i was fiberglassing in the bottom portion of the jetski hull / jet intake and motor mount section.
beforebottompaint2.jpg

Finished fiberglass and applied 4 coats of Easypoxy marine bottom paint. used a 12$ spray gun from harbor freight tools.... this is before i put a clear coat on it. This is my first ever attempt at paint! Came out pretty good!
boat2.jpg

Finally got a trailer and was able to flip the boat over and start on the interior. Engine mounted.

interiorb4paint2.jpg

Interior painted with Easypoxy topside paint gloss grey. PWC trailer tongue extended 4 foot, painted metallic black.
afterinteriorpaint2.jpg

Started interior flooring.
boatupdate2.jpg

That's how it sits as of today. very little budget for this. gotta save up some cash!

stay tuned for further updates! planning on front deck, aluminum fuel cell, minn kota trolling motor up front, center console, etc.

UPDATE 9/27!

99% DONE! just waiting on the fuel tank to come in the mail! throttle successfully installed yesterday, and works PERFECT. all electrical except for trolling motor wiring complete, key ignition installed, and console built. (console is not complete together in these pics. coverings are just laying in place. not secured down yet because of wiring to be completed)

runs GREAT. can't wait to get it on the water! hopefully next week!

IMG_20110926_181944.jpg

IMG_20110926_182024.jpg

Majkowskid, looks good so far.

You might have some air ingestion problems with those two big strakes but the ski hulls spoon might save you.

Are you going to straddle the engine with the center console or try to stay in front of it?

Jamie

Jamie,

ya know, that's my biggest issue right now. i have NO idea whatsoever as to where to hook up the controls.
i was thinking that i'd sit in front of the engine, but that pus me up really far in the boat. basically, i'm going to build a box around the engine that will be easily removable. i figured the front side of the box i could lean on and use for the seat back. but man, that puts me sitting WAY far up front!

on the other hand, i could build the steering wheel assembly (how i do that i have no idea yet) into the BACK of the same box, and i'll be sitting behind the engine, on top of the prop driveshaft tunnel. but that may be too much weight in the back.

i've got a custom gas tank on order that'll be going in the front of the boat, along with my optima blue top battery, and trolling motor, so that may weight down the front quite a bit, so sitting in the rear may be ok.

i just didn't want to be sitting way up high in the boat..... i think i'm going to have to wait to plan the control center until after i get the flooring in and such, and i get a better idea of how much room i have to play with.

what would you suggest?

I would suggest reading my build thread. I tried to explain what I did and why I did stuff. Might help you make some decisions.

The engine looks like it's right at the CG... Do you have any better pictures, say of the side profile and maybe some dimensions for the center of the engine?

I still think straddling the engine may be your best best, think OCC chopper. Maybe make a flip forward console / engine cover / seat assy. Reusing the ski steering and throttle setup will save money on cables and probably the wiring too. If the fuel tank was behind the engine on the ski I would put it there on your hull too. Battery and troller up front should counter the fuel tank weight.

On mine I'm sitting right on the front of the engine. Front of the console is mid point on the hull and I straddle it with my knees. What's the endurance on the engine fuel wise? Mine will go through 9 gallons in 45 minutes at WOT but it's only a 5-6 minute run to my fishing area.

Jamie

Jamie

Trust me I've read your entire build 100 times :) if u remember I e mailed you a couple of months ago before I started this build. I would love to sit right where the engine is but I am afraid ill be sitting up too high. For such a small boat. Right now the top of the motor is about 3 to 4 inches higher that the sidewall of the boat. Boat is 48 inches wide by the way........as far as fuel goes its a 2 stroke and from what I've read it'll run wide open for about 1.5 hrs on a 13 gal tank....I'm having a 9 gal tank built 4 it.

I plan on using the stock cables if possible but I've got to figure out how to adapt the steering cable to what I've got for a steering bow....I've got a steering shaft and gear box from a lawnmower id like to use.....for a throttle I've got a hot foot :)

Lemme finish the floor and engine cover and ill see what it looks like for sitting in the engine box.....it may work out good!

Sorry, the boat get's lots of fan mail. #-o

My butt is about 4" above the gunnel, doesn't seem to be an issue and if anything it helps me see down into the water to avoid the nasties.

Jamie

Hmmmm....you've just about got me convinced to sit on the engine.....ur boat just looks soooo much bigger than mine. Well I guess I can always change it later......marine carpet just got here on freight truck....time to finish up the floor!

I love the project, but I have to agree with fender66 I wouldn't be sure whether to put the water in it, or it in the water.

wow, you guys are harsh! it's virtually the same thing as a 14/48 aluminum jon boat, just a bit squarer. it's an explorer brand boat, made for saltwater flats.

hopefully when it's finished and rigged out for fishing, you guys will change your mind :)

carpet just got here. it's corinthian charcoal grey marine carpet. i couldn't believe the difference in quality between the stuff at home depot or lowes and this stuff. has a rubber backing and is extremely flexible. should go nicely with the boat.

within the next week or so i should have the front deck complete and the trolling motor mounted.... then it'll be time for the float test!

The motor looks like its right in the center of the boat? I like Ranchero's Idea of using a center console as a hood for the motor.

You could put a deck on the back with some sort of fuel cell integrated into it running lengthwise down the center line. Maybe a bench seat mounted on it that flips up to access everything.

I have no idea what im talking about! Just throwing ideas out there.

I wish I had the skills, imagination, equipment, and guts to try one of these builds!

it's not exactly in the center... it's about a foot and a half more towards the rear. i think ranchero was actually talking about me physically sitting on what i build to cover the engine.... mount a seat on top of it basically, and making a small center console much like his to mount a foot or so in front of it.

Sort of. I'm thinking straddle the engine from behind like a chopper with the low slung seat where the gas tank is about chest height, except instead of a gas tank you'll have a console and controls sitting on the engine. You are going to need to be tail heavy to run well so I don't you'll want to be forward of the engine, especially if you ever plan on taking someone along.

BTW, you are overthinking your steering. There is no effort to turn the nozzle and I'm only about 90` lock to lock on the wheel.

Jamie

jamie,

i thought you meant to sit on top of it... i'd LOVE to sit behind it, but i think it's a bit too large to straddle :) i'd be sitting like i was riding a horse... a BIG horse... or at least i think i would... have to do some measuring this weekend.

I say sit/stand behind the engine too. You may have to build the floor up a little to have it be flat in that area. You want to be in the back if you hit waves/chop. Since you are talking about flats boats, take a look at some pics of them. The console is always close to the back even on long boats. The front bounces up and down on the waves, and the back is where the most comfortable ride is.

I think it'll work. Put a mid height casting deck 4" below the gunnel that ends at the back of the engine mount the steering setup from the ski at the front edge of the engine. My console is 18' wide, no drama.

Throw a stool in the boat, sit on it and make some motor noises. Helped me considerably. :)
Jamie

got the flooring completed and carpeted. battery box mounted in front of engine. Next step is to build the console/engine/battery box cover.

carpetinstalled.jpg

finally got the cooling lines figured out. the pisser exiting the back of the boat (hanging in pic) will be removed. there will be 2 pissers exiting the top of the transom directly above the jet. hopefully front deck will be completed this weekend and i'll be able to float test it with the trolling motor!

update 7/25/11

Got the deck extended up in the front 11 inches. new hatch in place. trolling motor mounted.
there's now storage both in the front white hatch, and right behind it. planned on putting the fuel cell in the seat area that i built up front, but that's not going to work. i float tested the boat this weekend (no leaks! yay!) and there was far too much weight up front with me sitting there, and the 60 lb battery.

i placed the battery and weight in the back, and it floated much better, so i'm going to locate the fuel cell to the rear with the battery.

here's a pic of the deck finished, exhaust mounted, another drain plug in place, and all new cooling lines.
deckfinishedsma.jpg

got visual pisser installed left side of boat. rear deck almost complete. seats coming in the mail. this pic doesn't show it, but i got the bow and stern lights mounted and electrical ran. horn mounted on bow. electrical parts coming in mail from a buddy. another drain plug installed.

nearing completion! hopefully this weekend seats should be in, engine cover built, and steering built. perhaps i'm too optimistic. :)

reardecksmall.jpg