Lithium battery - worth the expense?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they not make a comparable battery in the USA? Wouldn't the tariff be put in place to get folks to buy USA made batteries? I'm ignorant to the tariff's reasoning.
Our wonderful government here in Canuck land has handed out billions of dollars to a couple of battery manufacturing outfits from China and Japan to make them on our soil. However, it will be years before the first battery rolls off the line.
The government imposes tariffs when US manufacturers are uncompetitive at something. They use words like unfair trade practices. At the end of the day it’s just tax on the US consumer. China has plenty of other markets outside of the US and they will adapt quickly. We’ll probably start seeing more batteries from Asia and India over the next few years.

It’s beyond my imagination why we would want to bring such a dirty manufacturing process home.

What I didn’t see is when the 25% tariff actually goes into effect. Is it immediate or sometime later this year?

Do they not make a comparable battery in the USA? Wouldn't the tariff be put in place to get folks to buy USA made batteries? I'm ignorant to the tariff's reasoning.
Our wonderful government here in Canuck land has handed out billions of dollars to a couple of battery manufacturing outfits from China and Japan to make them on our soil. However, it will be years before the first battery rolls off the line.
Pretty much the same deal here in the US, in the mean time we consumers are going to be paying more no matter what !!

Here is an interesting update...

Took the kids fishing for the first time in months. Got out there, ran downlake, found some fish. Went to move and the starter turned slower and slower. Oh no... Lead acid starting battery died. Had no jumper cables, and decided to see what the TimeUSB battery would do...

It started the motor (1995 Johnson 70) right up! We were very happy.

Didn't think it would put out that much power, but it did.
I wouldn’t make a habit of it. Most Lithium batteries are not designed to start an outboard due to the high surge current.

In the same situation I would try to jumper the AGM for a few minutes, remove the jumpers and then start the OB off of the AGM.

The government imposes tariffs when US manufacturers are uncompetitive at something. They use words like unfair trade practices. At the end of the day it’s just tax on the US consumer. China has plenty of other markets outside of the US and they will adapt quickly. We’ll probably start seeing more batteries from Asia and India over the next few years.

It’s beyond my imagination why we would want to bring such a dirty manufacturing process home.

What I didn’t see is when the 25% tariff actually goes into effect. Is it immediate or sometime later this year?

I read that the additional battery tariff will start sometime in 2024. No specific date.

In the same situation I would try to jumper the AGM for a few minutes, remove the jumpers and then start the OB off of the AGM.
Agreed! Unfortunately, I had no cables in that boat. Soon, I'm putting a 2nd battery and switch in, so it won't be an issue.

In the meantime, my lithium jump box goes with me on all trips.

Agreed! Unfortunately, I had no cables in that boat. Soon, I'm putting a 2nd battery and switch in, so it won't be an issue.

In the meantime, my lithium jump box goes with me on all trips.
I just ordered a noco lithium jump starter to keep onboard . For what they cost and how small and lightweight they are I figured it would be nice to have in emergency. I can't imagine what I would have to be doing to drain 2 group 27 agm 90ah batteries on a boat that has a 50amp alternator but Murphy can be a real sneaky prick sometimes.

I have the Hulkman 8.5 jump box, and it's excellent. I love that it can be charged with a USB cable while driving or at home. I've had it for maybe 3 years, and it's been outstanding, and starts everything. Here is a link: https://www.amazon.com/HULKMAN-Alpha85-Starter-20000mAh-Portable/dp/B08M41FX48

I must have left something on, because the battery has been just fine ever since that day. Still, I hate only having one battery in any boat.

Latest posts