Alumacraft 1236 Makeover- livewell pg 11 - update front deck

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 04 Oct 2008, 19:58

Well... it's been a while. Last month was H E Double Hockey Sticks!

1 - full week of jury duty
2 - second week was vaction which was awesome - but while I was cruising the Caribbean, I happend to turn on the news to see AIG was in trouble (remember I'm an underwriter... well here's the great company I work for...) So for 6 days I was pooping bricking wondering if I was going to have a job when I got back home. And I do still have the job, and will have for some time - we are now becoming the backbone for AIG
3 - brokers going nuts asking tons of questions for their insureds, and us having to go through all the details of how it was the parent company in trouble, not my division which is pretty much financially set
4 - my wonderful 80lb 9 month old German Shepherd must have got hungry because he ate.. and I mean ATE my wiring harness on the trailer (don't ask how I know he actually ate it... it wasn't pretty, but he sure had a bright tail light when he hit the brakes).. anyways, he left me 1/2" to connect a new harness to... needless to say I wasn't happy

anyways, enough bickering.... on to the good stuff!

I am now about 3/4 of the way finished with my boat. I still need to paint the insides and move the bunks on the trailer. But after the shotty month I've had, I needed to get it in the water for the maiden voyage. I got to the ramp at 8 (when the gate opens) and left at 5 (when gate closes). All in all it was a good day, but I did see a few things that would have to be fixed.

No leaks (thank God) and it is very stable - much more stable on the water than it was on the trailer with me walking around trying it out.

1 - on the way to the gate, I get on the interstate and right when I get up to 55mph, I happen to look in the rear view to see my middle bench seat doors fly up - I had 3 EXPENSIVE rod/reels laying across them... luckily they only lifted up with the door, but I still bout busted a nut trying to get on the shoulder. I fixed it for the rest of the trip with a long tie strap I had behind the seat. So the first thing I gotta do is rig a bungee cord from one side to the other to hold the seats down. You'll notice in the pictures that they open front to back. I did it like this because I didn't want them to open to the front seat, I wanted to be able to sit there and get into the middle console to change baits. I also mounted a center console I got from WalMart for $3... that was great. I wasn't looking for my scissors, needle nose pliers, cell phone, scents, camera... and most of all my Mountain Dew!

And here is everything that fits in it... that's almost all of my tackle, line, 2 batteries... Awesome storage - and it's functional

2. Batteries

I only decided to go fishing yesterday, so I had to run power lines - at 11pm there's not too many places that are open, but luckily WalMart had 6' 4ga wire (10bucks) with connections on both ends. I couldn't find any type of junction box, so I just attached the trolling motor wires directly to the 4ga. I had both batteries charged, but I didn't run them in parallel like I plan on doing. I figured that I would carry both, and if one battery ran out, then I could just switch places with them. Turns out - that walmart battery ran me ALL day, and I mean ALL day. No anchor, and it was windy. I hooked it up when I got home, and it still had 75% remaining. I'll be buying another so that both batteries hooked in parallel will be the same.

3. Front Stop... ok, I don't know what it's called

This was my biggest problem on the whole stinking boat. The handle on the winch was too long, so I could only make a half turn to let the strap out, or bring it back in. I moved the bracket down, fabricated a piece of steel to fit between the bracket, then screwed 4 - 3" screws into a 4x4 block of wood that I carpeted. It only took me about 15 million ideas before I came up with that one. Works pretty good too - it just needs to be about 5" longer.

4. Stickers

OK, so I finally got around to putting my new stickers on (check out https://www.namemyboat.com.. they have a ton of different fonts and other variations you can create... not to mention cheap prices. While I was putting them on, my wife (who wasn't helping, but was reading the directions to tell me what I was doing wrong) told me that they aren't supposed to get wet for a couple of days after putting it on. I hope that only means washing it - I don't think it got that wet while it was in the water. Either way, these went on better than any I have ever done before... and I've done a lot (I used to tint windows, so when vinyl stickers for the windshield were popular, I was the one doing them)

Well... I guess that's about it. I've still got to paint the inside. A friend of mine gave me some Herculiner, but I'm still undecided if I want to use it. This boat makes almost no noise which I found odd, but not I'm fussing. I'll try to update some more later this week.

RazorBaits
russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 04 Oct 2008, 20:03

almost forgot... for more pics, click HERE

FishingBuds

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by FishingBuds » 04 Oct 2008, 20:23

Awsome, your ideas are cool

1. I like how the battery's turned out.
2. I would've never thought about the car console thingy-sweet :)
3. The sticker decals makes me want to do that too :wink:

It turned out great, it looks it from here but was everything comfy and easy to get too?

Oh, cool on still haven a job there =D> Guess we kinda need them :lol:

Is your dog OK? wonder if he passed the wire harness, that could get bad for him :( they will eat anything #-o
2TIM 4:7 I Have Fought the Good Fight, I Have Finished the Race, I Have Kept the Faith.

My "1973" 1436 custom jon link!

russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 04 Oct 2008, 20:40

Fishinbuds, the center console is awesome. I made 3 separate doors for the middle bench. 2 battery, 1 "bait box"... I purposefully made it with the piano hinge so that they would only open a little past 90 degrees instead of all the way open so that I wouldn't have to rest it on my legs or incase I had something sitting on the floor behind it. I stand to fish, so I just reached over and pulled out whatever box I needed, set it on one of the battery doors, then put it back. I've never had such a clean boat - bait thrown everywhere, line tangled up in the floor, battery in my way - and the best part with the batteries in the middle is the weight dispersement.... my front is no longer sitting up in the air.

Kodiak (my german shepherd) passed it... I knew something was wrong with him by the way he was acting. He didn't poop for a day and was acting like he needed to, but was afraid to let me see him do it. At this point I didn't know he had eaten the wiring and he knew I'd be upset when I found out, so I think he tried to hold it and then he would hide it later. I check his stool pretty often since he had worms as a pup, but what I thought was a worm turned out to be the ground wire of the harness. somehow he managed to swallow the connector with about 4 inches of 5 lines attached to it. He jumped about 4' in the air when it came out. That was about 2 weeks ago, and he's back to normal again.

As far as AIG goes, I'm glad I still have a job, but I'm glad they were knocked back down to their knees thinking they couldn't be touched. A little humility is needed every once in a while. I'm just waiting for my work email address to change from @aig.com to aig.gov since the government pretty much owns us now, and still will even after the 85billion is paid off.
Last edited by russ010 on 04 Oct 2008, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.

SlimeTime

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by SlimeTime » 04 Oct 2008, 21:01

I wondered where ya been, haven't seen you post in a while. Boat's lookin' great, you've done a nice job & should be proud of it. You might look into some cabinet latches, either magnetic or click-ins. Locks would be another option if you'd want some added security (I just added a few myself). Hopefully things will get back to normal for ya :wink:

ST

russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 04 Oct 2008, 21:25

ST - you are awesome... I just looked at your post about the locks and it never crossed my mind about doing it to mine.

I'm going to have to look into that.. didnt think about the magnets either... but I'd hate to be going down the road all my gear start flying out. I think the locks would be the best option

russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 10 Oct 2008, 13:26

I've done a little more work this week.

I never painted the inside before doing any of internal mods (this was a mistake, I should have done all of the painting before I did the building)... I taped off the outside right under the lip of the gunwhales and just spray painted it flat black. I wanted to do it tan, but I had 7 cans of good flat black spray paint not being used, and I really don't have any extra money to be going into this boat... so I'll just use that as a primer for now, then when the money situation gets better I'll repaint it. I'm also painting the entire interior with the same paint. I forgot about overspray, so some of my carpet now has this black tinge to it - it wouldn't be so noticeable if I had of cleared out all of the stuff I had laying around. When I picked up the stuff is when I saw the mistake I had made. No worries though, I'll get in there and scrub it good with some Spray 9.

I don't have any pics of it yet, but they'll be coming soon.

dedawg1149

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by dedawg1149 » 10 Oct 2008, 15:41

dang man that sounds like my luck hopefully you can get the overspray out :shock:
The fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad

bassboy1
Site Sponsor

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by bassboy1 » 10 Oct 2008, 20:55

dedawg1149 wrote:dang man that sounds like my luck hopefully you can get the overspray out :shock:
Nah, just take all the stuff out, run the sprayer lightly over it again, so the whole carpet will have overspray. Then, it will just look like slightly darker carpet.

russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 14 Oct 2008, 00:56

I just found a Humminbird 727 on ebay for $99 - no transducer. Found a Trolling Motor mounted transducer for $50. For $170 (includes shipping) I just got a $280 FF. I couldn't pass it up. There will be NO more buying of anything for me for a while.

It will be a little while before pics get posted of it on my boat... I'm having it sent to my parents house so that my wife ( [-X ) doesn't find out I bought something else....

dedawg1149

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by dedawg1149 » 14 Oct 2008, 04:51

bassboy1 wrote:
dedawg1149 wrote:dang man that sounds like my luck hopefully you can get the overspray out :shock:
Nah, just take all the stuff out, run the sprayer lightly over it again, so the whole carpet will have over spray. Then, it will just look like slightly darker carpet.
bass boy who pulled you chain i was quoting Russ and then you want to say something like that.

russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 15 Oct 2008, 21:26

Finally... I have pictures!!! They aren't the best because I waited until it was dark to take them, and it's in the garage... so I'll have to get some better ones up during the daylight.

I ended up using paint left over for the inside. 3 cans of Rustoleum Metallic (Black Night) on the sides, then Plastic Cote on the floor. I don't remember why I bought this stuff, but I found it and decided to use it. I've got some Herculiner, but I really don't feel like getting the stuff out and rolling it everywhere on the floor. I'm going to see how this rubbery stuff holds up first and if I don't like it, I'll redo it.

russ010

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by russ010 » 15 Oct 2008, 21:28

Thank goodness I have a can of that plastic cote left over.... those spots I missed (I didn't know I missed some until I saw the pics above).. that's what I get for painting outside under a security light!

dedawg1149

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by dedawg1149 » 15 Oct 2008, 21:56

it looks good i like the black do you think with it being black that it is going to get hot

ben2go

Alumacraft 1236 Makeover

Post by ben2go » 15 Oct 2008, 22:03

It looks real good.I ain't to fur above ya and this southern sun gets real hot.Look for the soles of your shoes to melt.