the build has begun

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monsterkat11

Reaction score
started work on my 16 foot flat bottom. started out with the back transom, unfortunetly the way it was made, the back braces were welded to the transom, there was literally no way to get one solid peice of board, all the way across behind it, ended up using two pieces of 2X6 and two 2x4's with a plywood brace on the outside, as well as the back. The Next Thing i did was started the framework for the front deck. there's still a few things we need to do to support the front more, but we decided to knock out cutting out the deck template last night too

The Transom
boat1.jpg

Back Support
boat2.jpg

The Start Of Framing
boat3.jpg

The Boat
boat4.jpg

In The Middle Of Framework
boat5.jpg

Template
boat6.jpg

Template With notches
boat7.jpg

thanks for the replies guys.

today i finished the front deck support, got everything screwed together, and removed it to start sanding for paint. this boat will be unrecognizable by the end of this weekend :)

thanks jim, thats my parents dog, i got a wussy little basset hound...although...i shouldn't say wussy, he'll back the german shepard up when he gets mad...so...maybe the shepard is just the wussy. haha

Nice boat and nice trailer, good score!

Isn't that board that you using to thin ?

Where did you get those handles and how are you making the contact session water proof ?

My boat needs handles really bad, but I am afraid of making any more holes in it...

boat2.jpg

the board, is about as thick as i could go, as you can see i had to sand two notches in there just to be able to mount my motor to the back! it's really just there for the extra extra support but let me tell you...that thing is SOLID.

as far as the handles go, right now i'm only using them to mount my tie down straps. i haven't sealed them, but there was already two holes on each side when i got the boat, just so happens them handles fit perfectly, i'm gunna fill the holes and coat the bolt area with some silicone-type gasket sealer.

yeah i figured i'd make a fun little game with the storage, called "find what your looking for" the concept of the game is choose from one of three doors and hope that what your looking for is in the general area of your chosen door :)

one quick question guys, what kind of saw did you guys use to cut out your decks? a jig saw or a circular? i would assume jig

You can use either one as long as you have a metal cutting blade in it... I plan on using my circular saw for the long cuts, then the jig saw for the corners.

I can cut straighter using a circular saw, but if you use a jig saw, just set you up a guide and use that to run your saw against. Then again, it's not a bad idea to do that with the circular saw.

i figured maybe it would be better to use a jig saw because there is a slight constant bend in the cut to follow the contour of the boat

started priming yesterday, will finish priming and painting today.
don't be too jealous of our "ghetto fabulous" paintjob :) good ol' computer paper :)

Picture049.jpg

Picture046.jpg

yeah, its pretty wide, 48 at the bottom and like 64 at the top beam. which is funny because i passed up a boat because i was concerned that it was too narrow, looks like i found one to suite me well :)

well, we painted today, used the walmart special krylon camo spray paint (olive-extra flat) and it looks pretty dang good, i think putting in the effort of sanding then priming made it look so good. it's not a pro paint job but it's exactly what i was wanting. gotta get it inspected tomorrow to acquire a title, luckily the place i gotta take it to get inspected is about 100 foot from a boat ramp, so i figured i'd plop it in and see what the stability is like in that baby. after that it's cutting out plywood, carpeting and finishing :)

post some pics of your paint job!

It looks awesome so far, can't wait to see the finished product... great modding!

well here's the updated picture of paint, i didn't paint the whole inside because for one, i don't need to, and for two..i ran out of paint :)

Picture042.jpg

Picture043.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Latest posts