Reasons to miss work

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
After 35 years of managing people I have heard some good ones, but this week I had new one.

"I had to take my husband to the emergency room because he broke his arm when he fell through the lawn chair he was standing on while changing the engine in his pickup truck."

Was it one of those 1970 models?

00_1.JPG

New stories pop up everywhere.. while I was an acting sgt. in basic training two of the recuits came back one day late from a weekend pass... I had reported them AWOL. when they reported in their excuse was that they were ready to boad the bus to return when for some reason someone started the National Anthem and while they came to attention and were saluting, the darn bus pulled out. Only bus that day they said....and they had to wait till next morning to get a return trip. I still smile when I think of their imagination.... I just couldn't write them up.

Lol the one I'll never forget is when a fella called in and told me a entertainment center fell on him and trapped him all night, he just now got out from under it. Then started complaining its his birthday and all his friends are gone, then some more slurring, and then I was invited over to celebrate his birthday by bringing more beer, true story! Lol

Then I had one fella call in and say he was at the hospital because he zipped his friend up in his pants, true story, lol he never provided an excuse

I'm often tempted to call in sick with a bad case of "Anal Glaucoma".

You know.....when you can't see you A$$ going in to work! :mrgreen:

We had an intern trying to get full-time in our department. We had decided to hire him, but hadn't told him yet. We all took off half day Friday afternoon to golf, and were going to tell him he had the job right before he teed off. We had 3 in our department and he (the intern made the 4some). Well, about a hour after work started he TEXTED he was sick. Then he didn't answer any of his numbers. Around 11:30 he TEXTED he was feeling better. Then he SHOWED up for the golf day- he had just been tired and decided to sleep in. The cahones of kids these day.

Popeye said:
Did he get the job?

Not that day, but we did have 'a talk' with him about responsibility and such (somebody had to). A month later we gave it to him. It's now 3.5 years later, he turned out pretty good at it and about 6 months ago, moved on to one of the top 5 places to work in the state (for an analyst anyway). I say we trained him well :wink:

I never had a problem calling in sick. I simple told my boss I was sick and wasn't coming in today. Or, use em or lose em.
The wife on the other hand wasn't so easy. She let up a little after I spent 9 months getting better. She still doesn't understand metal health days. :mrgreen:

As for falling through the lawn chair, I can relate. Being 5'8" myself I have to stand on something to work on teh engine when the wheels are on the ground, when I had it up on ramps I pratcially had to pull out my 4' step ladder and crawl in the engine compartment. I have fallen off my portable plastic tool box.

our sick plan has "occurances" instead of "sick" days. first 2 @ 100% pay then drop down to 80% and so on to 75%. so the first 2 times you have to take the whole 5 working days off,and after 2 weeks it becomes short term disability. i always get "sick" :wink: during that long stretch after Xmas and before easter . my wife also refuses to call in sick. i've seen her do it once in 10 years, and she really gets pissed at me when i do it :LOL2:

I've used 3 sick days in the 5 years I've been working where I currently work. 1 was when I was extremely sick and 2 were for when my wife was sick and I had to take her to the ER.

My previous job I also took 3 days off but that was in a 20 year period. Of course in the Navy they aren't Sick Days, they are bed rest days.

Popeye said:
I've used 3 sick days in the 5 years I've been working where I currently work. 1 was when I was extremely sick and 2 were for when my wife was sick and I had to take her to the ER.

My previous job I also took 3 days off but that was in a 20 year period. Of course in the Navy they aren't Sick Days, they are bed rest days.

+1....

Although tempted every day....I haven't missed a day of work due to being sick for 3 years.

fender66 said:
Popeye said:

+1....

Although tempted every day....I haven't missed a day of work due to being sick for 3 years.

Man did I misspeak. I had two different surgeries while in the Navy and each one resulted in me having 10 days of convalescent leave. Man, I am a slacker.

Latest posts