Forum performance issues

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
I'm having problems with the forum and wondering if it's on my end or with the forum. It's being very slow and glitchy about loading pages. It doesn't seem to mater if I just posted a response or if I'm switching from one section to another and reading post. Running my online speed test seems to be fine, so I'm not sure if the problem is with my ISP, a bottleneck or other issue getting to the forum server, or something with the forum. So is anyone else experiencing anything similar to this or is it just me?

JMichael, I have discovered that IE8,9,10,11 are very bugy and have downloaded Chrome and FireFox as
backup browsers. What you are describing was happening to me while editing a website I maintain.
It you encounter a problem, try using either of them to determine where the problem might be.
Hope this helps. :) Jerry

I hadn't thought about it possibly being a browser issue. I use Firefox as my main browser, and I don't remember any recent updates/changes to it, but I'll try IE and see if that makes a difference. Thanks Jerry.

Google Chrome and not one issue. iPhone not one issue either.

A little bit of progress in that I've now eliminated the browser as the problem. I also discovered it's not just this forum, but the problem is also happening with a few other sites but not all. So it looks like it's not a problem with my ISP as well.

Two other steps you might try.
1. Download and run MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (free) to find and remove any malware that may be running in the background.
2. If you are running windows, open the Control Panel, navigate to Programs and Features. under the heading Installed On, is a list in "date order" that is on your system.
Look for anything that seems odd or strange in the list. Google what you find, to see if it really belongs there. If it doesn't,
then remove it. Be careful. Jerry

If you are running Internet Explorer 1st thing I would do is restore advance settings as well as reset the browser. This browser likes to get wonky. If this doesn't solve your problem then look deeper.

1. Open browser
2. Settings
3. Internet Options
4. Advanced
5. Restore Advance Settings
6. Reset

Nothing in installed pgm's that looked strange or suspicious. Ran Malwarebytes with current definitions but found nothing. Ran one of my cleanup pgm's and cleaned out a crap load of tracking cookies. Deleting the cookies seems to have the system running back at normal speeds but only time will tell if that's all it was. I'll be surprised if it was just a bunch of cookies causing that much trouble.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336146#p336146 said:
JMichael » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:31 am[/url]"]Nothing in installed pgm's that looked strange or suspicious. Ran Malwarebytes with current definitions but found nothing. Ran one of my cleanup pgm's and cleaned out a crap load of tracking cookies. Deleting the cookies seems to have the system running back at normal speeds but only time will tell if that's all it was. I'll be surprised if it was just a bunch of cookies causing that much trouble.
Why would that surprise you ?? Excess crap from the internet is the main cause of browser slowdown... followed closely by infections. That said, I use cCleaner at least weekly, but usually always after a heavy browsing or research session. Keeps thins running much more evenly. After a long, involved research session, opening lots of sites and pages (say a Zillow search for a new home or apartment), the browser will be slow and glitchy. Run cCleaner or any other cleanup utility you prefer and I believe you will see what I'm talking about. For better results, get a third party defray utility (like PerfectDisk that will keep your files defragged and can address boot sector defragmentation that slows down startup and shutdown of your system.

Good luck. HTH :)

I use ccleaner as well. If you convert to solid state drives over your normal hard drive you can do away with defrag. That is a thing of the past for me. Will also make your computer fly. ;)

Latest posts