Season starts with a thud........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
Sunday and Monday were a tough couple of days to be starting this years fishing season. The crappie have started to bite in preparation for the spring spawn so I thought I'd get the boat out. Sunday was a nice day but the fishing was poor with only 1 crappie and 2 small bass. Things went a bit different on Monday though. I knew it would be a toss up fighting 17-19 mph winds but it was a beautiful day otherwise, so away we went. First, my motor started dying at random intervals. It didn't take long to discover a slight air leak at the lines connection to the tank. We decided to press on since we could get back to the ramp with the trolling motor if absolutely necessary. Well that thought didn't last long as shortly after dropping the TM into the water I bumped into some submerged cypress knees and the housing on the head of my MinnKota AT40 shattered. I guess that age and lots of UV light had made the housing brittle because it wasn't much of an impact. So today the wind has dropped off and the temp is in the 70's but I'm sitting here waiting on snail mail to deliver parts so I can repair my trolling motor. I'm headed out the door in a few minutes to get a new fuel line connector that will hopefully solve my air leak issues. I hope everyone that is able to get out and fish is having better luck than I am. :cry:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=347223#p347223 said:
Loggerhead Mike » Today, 13:39[/url]"]I really hate those days.... but it makes the good ones that much better
Yes, it's just the sort of thing that makes you learn to appreciate some of the simple things in life.

My luck has apparently improved a bit. I located a new fuel line connector immediately and the replacement part for my trolling motor arrived super fast via USPS (which really shocked me). I got both issues resolved and only missed one day of marginally decent weather to fish in. This wind is really getting old though. My buddy and I decided to brave the winds and give it a go yesterday. The wind was so bad that at one time I had my TM on 5 and couldn't gain an inch of ground trying to go against the wind. After 2.5 hours of that and not a single bite, we gave up.