Moving

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attwanl

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I haven't been on in a few months, trying to get caught up. We sold our place in Nc and got a place in Georgetown Fl. It's a small town just south of Palatka.
So we have been moving. I never ever ever want to move again. It amazes me on how much stuff two people can acquire. Still need to go back and get more stuff.
Between selling the our old place and getting our new place ready, no one had really taken care of the place in 10 years. Things have been kinda crazy and a lot of work, had to do a lot of repairs, but getting a handle on it now.

I hear you there. I moved in january, could not believe how much crap I had that was junk. My step dad has a bungalow down there in palatka. He loves it. Him and my mom snowbird down there from about October to may/june.

yep - I feel your pain !! I am in the same process now myself.
moving from Winter Garden down to Kissimmee just blocks from
the Big Lake Toho landing - really looking forward to the new digs.

Hope you get to go out on the St. Johns soon for some awesome fishing !!!
you gotta watch that Lake George very carefully !!! a strong North/South
wind can capsize a small craft very quickly !!!

congrats on your new home

Welcome Neighbor! Well kinda, We have a lake place just west of you across the St Johns on lake Kerr in Salt Springs. We will be selling our urban home and another place and wintering there when my DW retires in 22 months, 4 days 9 hours and 41 minutes from now. :) We're settlers, we want to downsize to just one place and a motor coach. Summer on the road and winter at the lake.

With the Good Lords blessings that is.

Welcome Attwanl, I too am a NC transplant, but I've been here 65 yrs. We are about 20miles up-stream from you in Debary. I pretty much stay between Lake Monroe and Astor. Johnny isn't kidding about Lake George, it beats me up even in a 1652! There are some nice stretches of river north of you also, lots of places to explore. Don't feed the gators :LOL2:

John

not to get off topic - but -

in the late 1950s, my father made a 12' plywood boat
pushed with a 10hp Scott Attwater outboard. It was
outfitted with a custom canvas top that my mother sewed together
herself and little storage places for weekend camping supplies.
My mother colleted S&H Green Stamps of which she redeemed for a Coleman Cooler
and Coleman Lantern with them. (now, THAT was "back in the day").
They often put the boat in at the Sanford Landing to explore
and camp the St. Johns...... they heard about the Oklawaha River
and decided to give it a try - stocked up for 5 days of boat camping,
they set off..... meandering up the St. Johns, stopping at Astor to top off
two gas tanks .... three quarters across Lake George, the forward
gear went out of the motor and they BACKED across the rest of the
lake and fortunately landed at a fish camp there on the Northern shore.
They spent the night there and scavanged parts to fix the motor the next morning
and went up to Welaka with no further issues. Stocked up there at
Welaka, got some directions and information on the river and crossed over
the St. Johns and went up the Oklawaha which was like stepping back in time
of the REAL unchanged Florida with water so clear you could see bass beds
and huge catfish on the sandy bottom of the river. They said that the blue crabs
were as big as a dinner plate and were easily caught with some meat on a string.
While my mother was night fishing from the bank with a pork belly frog, she caught
a 4 foot Cottonmouth water moccasin !!! She is yelling for my father to kill the snake so she
could get her frog back - my father cut the line and that was that. (funny when she told it).
on the way back home, they stopped at Georgetown and my mother called
her brother to go to Sanford and pick up the trailer and come get them !!!!
Lake George did not claim two beautiful lives that trip and they weren't going
to give it a second chance on the return trip in that little flimsy wooden boat.
In 1959 my father bought our new 14' Crestliner boat with a new 1958 Johnson 35
Sea Horse and then the whole family enjoyed the Central Florida rivers and
waterways SAFELY. My mother purchased a family size Coleman Tent with
her S&H Green Stamps and we made many many weekend trips up the Oklawaha
with three young boys, two adults, camping and fishing gear - BUT - we always
trailered the boat to Salt Springs and put in there - never crossing Lake George again.
My father fought two battles in WWII: The first invasion landings of Leyte, Philippines
and Okinawa, Japan . . . and Lake George scared him more than those two battles together.

so - IF you do venture into Lake George, please make double sure you are fully equipped
and capable of handling open water that can turn deadly in an instant. The large mouth bass
and crappie are out of this world in that area !!!
Try to make it to places like Silver Glen, Salt Springs, Jungle Den, Shell Island, Cypress Hump.
and of course, my most favorite place in the world, the Oklawaha River ..... you will not regret it.
Our fellow member here, Pappy, can vouch for the remoteness and beauty of our rivers.

and also double what John said - to residents and visitors to Florida:
do not feed the alligators !!
it is against the law. Plus, many people are maimed and killed
each year by gators that have lost their fear of humans.

Thanks for heads up about the lake, people here have been warning me too. It has gotten pretty rough a few times since we've been here, storms come up pretty quick too.
Took some time off and went to salt springs Thursday, water was cool and refreshing on a 98degree day.

Latest posts