Eclipse, who is watching?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiskeyJaR

Reaction score
I am curious as to how folks back east are dealing with the up coming hiding of the sun?
They are predicting over 1 mill. visitors to Oregon for the eclipse.
Some of the local forest "camp grounds", the sites are being sold for 800-1000 per night, 3 night minimum. :roll:
Luckily I dont have to go any wheres, just sitting in backyard watching as it passes over head.
Enjoy the shadows folks, and remember your dark glasses. =D>

I will watch it if the weather permits it. I have my welding helmet ready. It is supposed to cross me at about 2:45PM on August 21.
We are expecting a totality duration of about 1 minute and 40 seconds at my location.

last partial eclipse over Florida was back in the early '60s and it was pretty amusing to the kids.
we used the nail hole in a piece of cardboard focused on a piece of paper as a novelty.

I think the rule of thumb for the "Arc Welding" welder's helmet/lense/goggles
should be "shade #10" at the minimum - #14 is preferred.
Gas welding goggles or cutting goggles are too light and could damage the eyes.
candle soot on plate glass is also not recommended.

I guess there will be a lot of clarification on August 23rd from the Medical Association
of what will NOT work for future events.

Johnny said:
last partial eclipse over Florida was back in the early '60s and it was pretty amusing to the kids.
we used the nail hole in a piece of cardboard focused on a piece of paper as a novelty.

I think the rule of thumb for the "Arc Welding" welder's helmet/lense/goggles
should be "shade #10" at the minimum - #14 is preferred.
Gas welding goggles or cutting goggles are too light and could damage the eyes.
candle soot on plate glass is also not recommended.

I guess there will be a lot of clarification on August 23rd from the Medical Association
of what will NOT work for future events.

Don't need a helmet if you watch it at night. :LOL2:

pbw said:
I assume you are talking about Aug 22 event?

If you wait until the 22nd you will miss it. I will we directly under the center of the path on the river fishing. I am going to try to video the event with my Hatcam, to see what the fishing is like before, during, and after. Should have a report put together by the 25th.

Re: the hat cam.
please don't move your head around too fast.
the videos that I have seen on YouTube are so busy they make my stomach churn and not pleasant to watch.
looking forward to your documentary !! you are very fortunate to have this once in a lifetime experience.
good luck !!!

My wife's house is in the zone of totality outside of West Paducah, KY. I'm seriously thinking about being on Kentucky Lake, fishing during the eclipse.
I'd probably have 15 or so jugs out, and be fishing for bluegills during the eclipse. Basically I want to see if fish bite during the middle of the day because it's dark out. :D

My boat is already there.. All I have to do is launch, bait, and sit back with a beer in my hand and go "Yep, it's dark out." And watch for jugs to start moving.

It's the first time I'm really glad I electrified the boat with running lights and LED's.

my cabin in Illinois is in the direct path but I will be home in pa the hotels have been sold out for a year it should be something to see hope it doesn't rain

The wife and I are going to Saint Joseph, MO to watch, hoping the weather cooperates, i.e. not cloudy. The totality is supposed to be 2:30 minutes approximately. There will be two eclipses in my lifetime, this one and the next will take place in about 6 years.

No, even if I were in the path of totality I'd only check it out if I were mowing the lawn. I can imagine the idiots that are going to stop their cars on highways to see it. That is going to be news.

At our place in TN, we will be in the "total" path.

We just found out that thousands of "approved" glasses that the resort sold can't be proven to have valid density lenses. So, as long as we turn them in, we can get reimbursed but, we will be left with no safety glasses.

I just took a cardboard box and made a pin-hole camera. That will have to suffice. Not taking any chances with our old eyes with improper glasses. Lots of counterfeit glasses have been sold through Amazon and other places.

There will be some injuries and some lawsuits. Can't imagine somebody risking someone else's eyes to make a few bucks.

richg99

I took out my telescope today and set it up to watch solar events in which it is designed to do. I took it outside and looked at the sun and could see a few sun spots which are dark spots on the surface of the sun. You don't actually look at the sun through the telescopes eyepiece but look at a white plate that the eyepiece is focused on to see the sun. It works well. Now if the weather cooperates Monday I will watch it with my telescope and my welding helmet. I am ready.

FormerParatrooper said:
I will be outside of Philadelphia, so won't get the full effect. I will go outside and gawk at the gawkers tho. Then back to work.
i'm in philly also I have a place in Carbondale that is in the path I just heard the police are worried about the traffic problems

I'm hearing about traffic jams because of people going to the Pacific Northwest. Campgrounds and hotels are booked up. While driving north on I-5 (the main north/south freeway in the west) a couple of days ago I saw a lot of campers with "eclipse or bust" signs.

i'm waiting to hear about the law suits because the glasses don't protect you even though it has been all over everything that there are a lot of fakes out there DO THEIR EYES BURST INTO FLAMES ?

Rode motorcycle down south of Nashville from Paducah today. Signs on all major roads warning of delays and no parking on the side of the roads.

Saw a sign outside of a farmers market.

Free Solar Eclipse! Enjoy!

Latest posts