YES! It's Dec. 21st.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS225

Reaction score
That day when the northern hemisphere will start tipping back toward the sun. The days will slowly get longer, the average daily temp will start to increase, and before long, we'll see the first Robins of spring, and the new growing season will be upon us.
The days of me feeling cold all the time will be gone, and I'll no longer have to fight the prehistoric, caveman-like urge to crawl into a hole and hibernate until spring arrives.

Roger

It’s just starting to get cold here in Nova Scotia. Most of the lakes just froze this week. Days will get longer but the next 2 months are when we get snow, so no boating for a while.

All I can do now is prep and dream of next years fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTS225 said:
That day when the northern hemisphere will start tipping back toward the sun. The days will slowly get longer, the average daily temp will start to increase, and before long, we'll see the first Robins of spring, and the new growing season will be upon us.
The days of me feeling cold all the time will be gone, and I'll no longer have to fight the prehistoric, caveman-like urge to crawl into a hole and hibernate until spring arrives.

Roger
Yeah, thank goodness. I'm less excited about it warming up-- my weather station says it's in the 60s right now-- and more excited about increasing day length. I never realized how short the day was until I bought a boat!

For us, winter is a growing season. We usually grow lettuce in the winter. Unfortunately, my planter boxes finally disintegrated this past summer, and need to be rebuilt. I did just harvest 100+ pounds of oranges this past Saturday, though. Not bad for a single tree in the middle of the city!

Oh, and about robins. When I lived up in Illinois, I always wondered where the robins went. It turns out that they pass through Savannah by the hundred of thousands, on their way to the Okefenokee swamp, where many of them spend their winter. For us, seeing the robins is a sign that winter is near. I think they went past about 4-5 weeks ago.

Our "winter" involves a 10-day period in January where it gets near freezing at night, but stays in the 50s during the day. Occasionally we get into the 20s, and rarely do we get into the teens. It has never been below zero here. Since 2001, I have seen snow twice. We once had an inch of snow on the ground for about an hour. It's pretty rough.

No way the avg daily temps start warming here in NJ, we won't reach our coldest until Jan. Feb. I wish Dec was our coldest month. But thanks for the warm thoughts.

There is a reason snow birds head south from just after the holidays and don't return until April.

Today its 58 degrees here. After last winter season with hardly no winter, it looks more nomal this time. We have already had several good frosts, and the atlanta area had 5 inches of snow, nothing but rain here though. Oh btw
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FRIENDS HERE...!!!

Latest posts