Bicycle fishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I've found a number of places inaccessible by car to hand launch my 10' tinny and are only available by horse, walking or bicycle, no motorized vehicles. I have no horse, don't want to walk, and have a few bikes.

I'm rigging my trail bike with a rod holder, and I'm wondering if anyone else is fishing places only available by bike?

I got curious and Googled bicycle fishing gear. There is a ton of stuff out there from rod holders to specialty trailers including kayak trailers for Bicycles. There is even a pop-up tent trailer for bikes. Pretty neat stuff.

I'm not aware of bike accessible only places but there are plenty that are long walks. A bicycle, if allowed, would be good to have.

Anyway, I personally think you should get a horse instead.

I've used a bicycle for both hunting and fishing instead of walking into those spots. For fishing, I rigged up a piece of PVC pipe with a notch in it to hold the reel handle in place and zip tied it to the side of a plastic milk crate that I also zip tied to a small bicycle rack that I had on the back of the bike.
I could carry a bunch of stuff in that crate, I had to cut it down a bit just behind the seat so I wouldn't sit on it, but with a couple bungie cords I could carry everything I needed.

My creative juices got going and re-using a rod holder from my tinny I mounted it on the frame for less than $5.00.

What prompted this (aside from another reason to go fishing) my doctor weighed me and while many could use losing a few pounds that scale told me it was time :)

fisher_bike.jpg

I used to ride to all sorts of small lakes and ponds when I was young. I started out taking my one piece rod with me but it ended up being too unruly when going through heavily wooded areas. I switched to a two piece rod for a while but settled on packing a telescoping rod with a small tackle box in a backpack. I still occasionally bring a telescopic rod with me on my ATV or pack it in my truck when I travel because you never know when you'll find some enticing water.

If you make a rig like this, you can tow it behind your bike. Made from a folding golf cart.20171211_114127.jpg

Attachments

• 20170524_161643.jpg
    20170524_161643.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 873
  • 20170524_161935.jpg
    20170524_161935.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 873
  • 20171211_114010.jpg
    20171211_114010.jpg
    825 KB · Views: 873
  • 20171211_114403.jpg
    20171211_114403.jpg