UPDATE! Maybe tin no more

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
Considering a move from tin to plastic, Sun Dolphin Pro 120. Need to go to something smaller BUT wider, more stability.

Debating whether to sell "AS IS" or to put some time, effort and cash to square it away. Not like there's a lot to be done, don't get me wrong. I think a lot of guys would be putting a personal stamp anyway.

You're actually going to spend $2200 on a plastic boat?
Why not get a paddle boat and put a trolling motor on it?
To each his own, I guess

I just went to the Sun Dolphin website, that thing weighs 238 lbs. Has a 600 lb. capacity, and is 62 inches wide max.
I'd hate to have to muscle that around. Especially with a motor attached.

Oh well, it's your money
Good Luck

If there weren't extenuating circumstances, it wouldn't even be a consideration.

My GF's son had one, it was HEAVY AND it leaked. The manufacturer did nothing but suggest things to stop the leaks. Ultimately he wrote the retailer and they took it back.

1960 yellowboat said:
You're actually going to spend $2200 on a plastic boat?
Why not get a paddle boat and put a trolling motor on it?
To each his own, I guess

I just went to the Sun Dolphin website, that thing weighs 238 lbs. Has a 600 lb. capacity, and is 62 inches wide max.
I'd hate to have to muscle that around. Especially with a motor attached.

Oh well, it's your money
Good Luck

I'm not happy about it but there is a very good reason. I have some time to think on it.

Well it is your reasons and not someone else's that really matter.

About the old boat, unless you are pretty certain you will get more back than you put into upgrades, I would sell as is. The new owner can make it their own.

LDUBS said:
Well it is your reasons and not someone else's that really matter.

About the old boat, unless you are pretty certain you will get more back than you put into upgrades, I would sell as is. The new owner can make it their own.

I think it's going to be as is, as well. I'm still going to wait until spring to sell it though, prime boat sale season. Who knows, maybe another option will present itself.
I actually placed an order for a Dolphin 7 years ago and cancelled when I came to my senses. The situation was a bit different then.

here are two boats you may consider.
A "Pondtoon" custom made 14 ft pontoon type boat made all out of aluminum.
14 ft long and 5 ft wide is the base model.
next is one 14 ft long and 6 ft wide
lastly 16 ft long and 6 ft wide.
www.boatsandfishing.com

Or a Craigcat.

kind of a double catamaran style
www.craigcat.com
good luck

1960 yellowboat said:
here are two boats you may consider.
A "Pondtoon" custom made 14 ft pontoon type boat made all out of aluminum.
14 ft long and 5 ft wide is the base model.
next is one 14 ft long and 6 ft wide
lastly 16 ft long and 6 ft wide.
www.boatsandfishing.com

Or a Craigcat.

kind of a double catamaran style
www.craigcat.com
good luck

Thanks for the time you've put into trying to find a NON plastic option for a boat for me. That's not sarcasm, absolutely heartfelt. A pontoon style boat isn't an option for either. The "best" option would probably be a Carolina skiff type boat. I need something with a wide hull for stability, in the 14' ballpark.
At least I have about 6 months before prime boat selling season.

there are 1242 and 1248 welded jons available that would be my choice. those mini pontoons would be good.

Hammer, you haven't said what your width requirement is only that you need stability.

The Alweld 1242 is 61" wide and only an inch more or less (depending where you get the specs) with similar capacity than what you're contemplating. If you can go up a bit there are other tin boats from Lowe and alweld in the 14' class that are even wider with better max weight capacities.

gnappi said:
Hammer, you haven't said what your width requirement is only that you need stability.

The Alweld 1242 is 61" wide and only an inch more or less (depending where you get the specs) with similar capacity than what you're contemplating. If you can go up a bit there are other tin boats from Lowe and alweld in the 14' class that are even wider with better max weight capacities.

It's deck space, not just overall beam width.

There is another brand called a Ski Barge that has a pretty wide open deck space. I've seen them at the lake. Also recall seeing them on CL in the past. It is not a tin boat. I know they make a 14'. Not sure of other spec's so not sure if it would really be any different than a jon boat with a flat floor. Also not sure why they call it a Ski Barge. Seems like the last thing anyone would want for water skiing.

I saw a guy at the ramp the other day with something I think might be perfect, 14' Carolina Skiff - Stinger Skiff - Boston Whaler. I'll have to keep my eyes open to see if I can catch him again. I talked to him for a few, I asked if I could check it out. I started to ask a few questions but he had bought it used a month ago.
Some of it had to do with the open deck plan. I currently have a side console. I think it might come within a good weight range to move around more easily.

Update:

I was on the water the other day and there was a bit of a light chop. Next thing you know, a wave comes out of nowhere and pushes the bow hard to port while I'm standing on the front deck. Now, I'm not the most graceful of individuals but I had a split second to react and that I did. Instead of going over the gunnel and into the drink, I turned myself toward the lower deck toward the center of my craft.
Hit my tailbone and my elbow hard but I was dry.
I think my concern is to get something smaller to be easier for me to move around and also have something for better mobility inside the boat on the water.

I understand the thought process of something smaller being easier to move around and store, but usually, smaller won't be more stable or give you a bigger deck area to fish from. You would probably need a custom boat to be small and wide and it would probably not handle well or be slow on the water. The smallest mod v I can think of that is relatively wide would be the Edge 1556 but that isn't really small. Here's their website: http://www.edgeduckboats.com/edge-56-series/

JL8Jeff said:
I understand the thought process of something smaller being easier to move around and store, but usually, smaller won't be more stable or give you a bigger deck area to fish from. You would probably need a custom boat to be small and wide and it would probably not handle well or be slow on the water. The smallest mod v I can think of that is relatively wide would be the Edge 1556 but that isn't really small. Here's their website: http://www.edgeduckboats.com/edge-56-series/

I had a chance to think about some things. I've had a few close calls over the years almost fall off various boats. Most recently whacking my tailbone and elbow, only because I dropped myself to the center lower deck, not over the side. Like a said, there's a reason behind my thinking.
I think it might be as simple as tiller steering, no more console. There would be a lot more involved beyond my customizing abilities and finances. There's a lot to it. More than you want to know, more than I want to get into beyond it being a medical issue. I'm just running through my options and letting wiser heads opine. And I do appreciate it.

Latest posts