Maiden voyage on the SeaNymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
Took the new (to me) SeaNymph for it's maiden voyage the other day. This is my first boat and have no experience with trailers or launching or anything like that. Obviously I wanted to take it easy for the first time out so I could figure things out. So I took her out, along with the wife and 2 kids, on a sunny, Sunday afternoon, where everyone within 100 mile radius who owns a boat was lined up at the launch. #-o [-X

Surprisingly, the launch went super well. Didn't really have any trouble backing the trailer down the ramp, even though I was side-by-side to someone else launching. One of the dock attendants was helping people out with tying up boats so that was nice, as my wife was too scared to touch anything and I was kinda on my own.

Loading her back up on the trailer wasn't as smooth, but I got 'er done. Ended up on the trailer a bit crooked and didn't realize til I pulled it out. Front was fine but back was slightly off center. Feel like an idiot every time I walk by it outside now and see it sitting off kilt a little #-o . Backing up the trailer, WITHOUT the boat on it, for the first time proved to be harder. Couldn't really see the trailer behind my truck and wasn't use to flying blind like that. Had to make a bunch of corrections and there were a bunch of jet skiers scattered about the ramp at the time so I was trying not to also take them out.

A couple lessons learned from the maiden voyage:
1. Get some boat fenders/bumpers. Scratched up the side of the boat a little on the dock as I was trying to load her up. Oh well, she's a working boat, not a trailer queen :lol:

2. My tach doesn't work. Want to fix that.

3. I overfilled the gas tank on accident and had to siphon some out to put the oil/fuel mix in. Woops #-o I'm not 100% sure the gas gauge works yet since I overfilled it and it was still showing full after about an hour of trolling around with some short WOT runs. Mostly went around at low speed just to get a feel for the boat and the bay we were in. We'll see if the gauge moves at all. Hopefully not stuck at full.

4. Kids want to jump off and swim so need to figure out some type of easy ladder setup for getting back on.

5. Boat stalled out when I left it sitting at idle for a couple minutes. Need to investigate that and see what that means. Adjust idle screw? (that's fun with a broken tach)

6. Need to figure out a better cold start process. I started it on a hose in my driveway before we went just to be sure. Still not sure what the best combination is for priming with key, giving some throttle in neutral, etc. I realized after I started it that I never pumped the black fuel bulb, which may have been a miss on my part. It started though so maybe I don't need to? When I got to the ramp I got it started but had a big puff of exhaust smoke so I think I may have flooded it a bit.

Overall, boat ran pretty well. WOT was super smooth. Only sitting at idle did it feel like it wanted to stall if I didn't give it some throttle soon. It did end up stalling, like I said above, when I let it sit at idle at the dock. Hopefully an adjustment or something will get that straightened up.

New Motorguide trolling motor should be arriving tomorrow! Can't wait to get that on there.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1593397740271.jpg
    FB_IMG_1593397740271.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 317
z33tec said:
Backing up the trailer, WITHOUT the boat on it, for the first time proved to be harder. Couldn't really see the trailer behind my truck and wasn't use to flying blind like that.
All and all a good 1st trip!

See here for 'empty' trailer help: https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47533

file.php

Starting sequence - try this:

• Pump primer bulb firm
  • Turn key ON, making sure you hear the warning tone that let's you know the alarm circuit is working
  • Press IN on the key (without turning it) and count to 5 to 8 slow, start at 5 ... (assuming model with push-key-in to choke [primer solenoid] system, not an old fashioned pull choke)
  • Release pushing in on the key and turn to CRANK
  • ... she should fire right up

On some model year OMCs you might need to advance the throttle (in neutral) a bit. Not sure if 70hps were ever equipped with their 'QuikStart' feature that would advance the timing and increase RPMs to warm it up for you automatically.

OB engines are like women ... they all have a different personality to start them up and you need to learn what she likes/wants to turn her on ... but this should help!

Thanks for the tips!

When I turn the key to start, I don't have any alarm... At least not that I recall.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Crazyboat said:
Try a rope ladder.
Here's a GREAT solution to a fixed, but movable safe/secure ladder that was a [glow=red]$46 solution[/glow] only just a few years ago:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45670&p=458327

DaleH said:
Crazyboat said:
Try a rope ladder.
Here's a GREAT solution to a fixed, but movable safe/secure ladder that was a [glow=red]$46 solution[/glow] only just a few years ago:

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=45670&p=458327
That looks pretty good. If I can muster up the confidence to drill some holes in the transom that might be the route to go. Otherwise, I have been looking at the rope ones for a more temporary solution.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latest posts