Well, this was kind of sudden

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
OK, here is the order of how things progressed:

1) We did a recent camping trip to the coast that involved staying in a large travel trailer.

2) Mrs Ldubs really enjoyed the travel trailer experience.

3) We take delivery of a shiny new 23’ travel trailer the first week of December.

We are fortunate to have big side yards with a 9’ gate on one side of the house and an 11’ gate on the other side. This is important because the local rule says we have to park these kinds of toys behind the fence. The 9’ gate side has a second side fence about 20’ back. I’ll have to move that fence back to accommodate the boat. The trailer will on the side with the 11’ gate.

This morning I will be trimming branches up so I have height clearance for the trailer. The two tracks shown will leave me about 4” on either side. Plenty of room (I hope).

Before I wasn’t even thinking about RVs. Now I will be dividing my time between taking the boat out and taking the RV out.

Can’t complain!

IMG_2436.jpeg

Not a 5th wheel. Just your standard travel trailer. It is legal in California to tow a boat behind a 5th wheel (I think). But not legal to tow two trailers. So I'll be dividing my time between taking the boat out or taking the trailer camping. Our son and his wife like to camp. We can take both if they join us.

On the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is making music with my friends
And I can't wait to get on the road again
On the road again
Goin' places that I've never been
Seein' things that I may never see again
On the road again
Like a band of gypsies we go down the highway
We're the best of friends
Insisting that the world keep turning our way
And our way
Is on the road again
Just can't wait to get on the road again
The life I love is makin' music with my friends
On the road again.

Best wishes. Be safe.

=D>

Can you load a small jon boat into the trailer or on top of her? That and a 5 HP will get you some fish. A 2S might be better so you can store her any way you need.

I've been thinking kayak or canoe (with a motor of course). I could put one of those on the truck. I haven't shared this idea with my Chief Financial Officer yet.

We take delivery next week. Mrs Ldubs is doing the "outfitting". I might as well start having lunch ready for the Prime delivery guys because they seem to be showing up every day. Right now our front room looks like a branch of Camping World. I might need a bigger trailer. Haha.

Nope, don't approve, not one bit. The only ArrVee that I find acceptable is one that allows you to tow a boat behind it.

316026bdc3a597e5ae0bea4aab44b84e.jpg

WHAT IS THE POINT OF CAMPING IF YOU DON'T FISH????

Something I'd thought of when I was traveling a lot....and wanting my cake and be able to eat it, too - I had a 33 ft travel trailer and had the same problem - can't tow anything behind it, as you can with a 5'er. I thought of extending the frame in "front" of the body to move the hitch farther out and build a platform in the new space, but never did get to it.

A few weeks ago, I saw one going thru town that had just that done. Wish I'd chased him down for a picture now. He'd extended the frame of about a ~25 ft travel trailer about 8 ft and built a large cargo area in front of the camper section, behind the hitch and was carrying 2 ATVs on there. It looked a little strange, but no denying the practicality of it.

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to picture a jon boat on something like that with the bow up on the trailer via a unit such as people use to load their boats on the roof of a truck canopy. The motor, gas tank, etc. could go in a lock box under the boat.

I would have never thought about extending the tongue to make room for more toys. That is good old yankee ingenuity, but the engineering to do that is beyond me. The real good solution would be a motor home. My chief financial officer, also know as Mrs Ldubs, and I agreed that buying one of those was a little too much of the kid's inheritance. haha.

Right now my immediate issue is I bottom out on backing up the ramp on the side of my house. I avoid that by adding the thickness of a couple of 2x's for the first 10' or so. The tracks are made of pavers. Might have to pull them up, change the grade and put them back in to avoid the hassle every time I pull it in or out.

LDUBS said:
Kismet said:
You know, some folks make some really nice inflatables.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

justsayin'

Been looking at some of those too! Been doing a lot of "just looking" at all kinds of options. Haha.

Heck, as long as you are just looking and noodlin about options, the thought occurs that the Macy's Christmas parade was severely curtailed, and I bet they have experts there who could work out a really spiffy solution involving an inflatable kayak, some helium, and a few guy lines and a tether of carefully measured length, and you could tow the kayak, above the ground, but below 10 feet or whatever the heights are in underpasses and toll booths.

Just tryin' to help, here. :idea: :roll:

Latest posts