Poorly neglected boat, bringing her back to service

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lckstckn2smknbrls said:
I bought several metal lic plate brackets at my local farm and fleet store. So much better than the plastic ones.
On my tilting utility trailer I used a piece of conveyor belt belting to mount the plate. This lets plate move out of the way when tilting the trailer down.

That is a great idea!

My main boat's trailer has not had the plate mounted in years now, I keep is registered and legal but I will likely put it off till a cop asks me to put it back on.

Another update:

I put it back together, took me a while but eh, it's done now. I had to put a new fuel pump in it as the old one was a leaker. All the gaskets were easy to find and I added some new plugs while I was at it.
FSwigXy.jpg

Water pump in
BGC3MmH.jpg

I noticed one of the bolts was broken off but still had plenty of thread. I looked up the bolt holes only to find a bunch were heilicoiled (sp?)
N4GpTi0.jpg

Took me two+ weeks to test fire it, but it started up with ease. no leaks
UUvr0Iv.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/UUvr0Iv.mp4 - video!

Still have to test it in the water.

Maybe the last update?

I took the rig out for a spin over the weekend. She runs well, gets on plane quickly and hit 17 mph at wot on the 14 footer. I'd guess if I took off the whale tail and fine tuned the mounting height and trim I could squeeze low 20s out of it. I am over it fellas, the fun is gone. I intended to put more effort into the hull, paint or possible a polish, but I am done. If I am honest with myself I just bought it cause it was a good deal, then it all went sideways with the rats nest under the cowl and all the fun was gone.

I sold the 4hp Evinrude that came in the package. I had it listed for $350 and like the 9.9 I was told it was "ready to go" . Once I had a few serious buyers lined up and decided to fire it up on the stand, it fired right away but would not idle down. I called the most interested buyer and explained, we settled on $175 as is. That covered the first round of parts in the 9.9.

Over all I would guess I have about $900 maybe $1000 into the package, and I'd say it's a quick flip at $1200, At $200 profit it's not such a good deal considering the effort I invested. I guess if I sold each piece I could get better money. The hull I'd guess would bring $350 with the new title, the motor $700, the trailer another $400, the trolling motor,battery and fish finder could fetch another $100 and I already took $175 for the 4hp. I think these are quick sale no BS prices, sure I could ask more and wait but meh.

Looked over what I have invested.

Motor investment $165.34

Plug wire $10.60
CDI $77.23
Impeller $18.85
Fuel Pump $14.90
Gaskets $12.83
Plugs $5.98
Start Button $24.95

Trailer investment $89.00

Light Kit $22.31
Roller $23.59
Paint & electrical supplies $30.00

Boat:

Reg & title +tax $42.50

Cost of the boat $700.00

Total investment not counting some tax and shipping $954.34 We will call it $1k

Sold the 4hp Evinrude for $175.00
Sold the boat, trailer and Motor for $1000.00

Kept:
Deep cycle marine battery -$50.00
Fuel tank - new 30hp project -$50.00
Trolling motor -$75.00 traded for an oil change

Came out about $250 ahead - not worth the effort, but I sold it to a friend and just wanted to break even.

My main boat's trailer has not had the plate mounted in years now, I keep is registered and legal but I will likely put it off till a cop asks me to put it back on.
[/quote]
I bought a new Fiero gt in 1987, on day 2 I took of the front license plate mount. One day I was pulled over for no front plate, the cop asked why I didn't have a front plate. I told him it came off in a car wash. He asked when that was I told him 17 years ago. He wrote me the ticket and I never put the front plate on.

Thanks for sharing your experience. It was a fun read and valuable to me.
For what it’s worth I was impressed with your approach and work. Always enjoy everyone’s input.
Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts