14ft Sears (Starcraft) Aluminum V-hull Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boat looks fantastic! Love the color scheme and the simple clean lines you've got going with the deck!

Looks great! I really like that color scheme and the front deck looks very nice

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

From those of us who do not have "skills," I would like to express my appreciation of the workmanship and artisan patience reflected in your project.

My ex-wife would like to marry you.

Be well in this pandemic, survive the politics that are coming out of it, and find joy each day of your life.

=D> =D> =D>

Kismet said:
From those of us who do not have "skills," I would like to express my appreciation of the workmanship and artisan patience reflected in your project.

My ex-wife would like to marry you.

Be well in this pandemic, survive the politics that are coming out of it, and find joy each day of your life.

=D> =D> =D>
:LOL2: Thank you!

Had a great summer with it after working a few bugs out. Unfortunately... now time to put it away for the year :cry:

Attachments

• Boat 1.jpg
    Boat 1.jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 186
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 186
Where did you get those pieces that connect your transom to your gunwhale? They seem to be white plastic triangles?

Looks great! I picked up a boat that looks almost identical to that one. Curious on how stable is the boat is with the casting deck? I'm trying to decide if I'm going to add one or not.

Thanks!

@rocksteady1 - If you're referring to the rear corners (and bow.) I'm 99% sure those are the typical stock Starcraft pieces (cast aluminum.) The rears have handles and a star cast in the top. These are just prettied up.

Hello there.
I have been watching your work, and I have learned a lot from you. Thank you!.
I have a situation that you might be able to help me with.
I purchased a 1977 16ft StarCraft aluminum boat, and all the plywood wood have to be replaced all around.
I am having trouble removing the plywood from the transom. I have removed all screws and rivets that hold the plywood in place, but I can not take it out. It is stuck somewhere where it touches the aluminum sheet .
I have hammered, pushed it, and used a wrecking bar to no avail.
It seem glued somewhere, but it makes no sense that the factory have glued the plywood to the aluminum sheet.
So, the only think I could think of is that salt crystals were built in between the ply and the aluminum, bonding them together naturally.
I have worked my way in between them with a machete but I am afraid of damaging the aluminum transom.
I also thought of pouring water in between the parts hoping to dissolve the possible deposits of salt and that way been able to remove the plywood.
If you have a chance, please, give me your advice on this matter.
Thanks in advance.

KrazyAboutTin said:
Hello there.
I have been watching your work, and I have learned a lot from you. Thank you!.
I have a situation that you might be able to help me with.
I purchased a 1977 16ft StarCraft aluminum boat, and all the plywood wood have to be replaced all around.
I am having trouble removing the plywood from the transom. I have removed all screws and rivets that hold the plywood in place, but I can not take it out. It is stuck somewhere where it touches the aluminum sheet .
I have hammered, pushed it, and used a wrecking bar to no avail.
It seem glued somewhere, but it makes no sense that the factory have glued the plywood to the aluminum sheet.
So, the only think I could think of is that salt crystals were built in between the ply and the aluminum, bonding them together naturally.
I have worked my way in between them with a machete but I am afraid of damaging the aluminum transom.
I also thought of pouring water in between the parts hoping to dissolve the possible deposits of salt and that way been able to remove the plywood.
If you have a chance, please, give me your advice on this matter.
Thanks in advance.
Does that boat have a splash well?

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

KrazyAboutTin said:
Yes.
Should I remove it?
You should start your own thread and post some pics. It may be the splash well drains that are holding your wood in.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I will open a thread for better understanding, thanks.
I have removed the two drains and no luck.
I will post some pics later.
Thanks

Hey good job in the work that looks nice and clean ! Always a bonus when you have the shop/time to do a great job. I’m also in that “boat” ... my question is prep for the paint.

I’m starting mine this week - how did you prep to paint ? And you rolled the paint not spray? Any advice/info would be helpful. Thanks and hopefully your son caught some fish on that rig !

Latest posts