My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
dixie_boysles

My 1985 PolarKraft project (HELP, I BROKE my boat! page 13)

Post by dixie_boysles »

I am new to the forum. My name is Scott; I have a 1985 14' Polar Kraft Aluminum Jon boat. I bought this boat and trailer combo for $600. It have title for both, so it was a great deal! The trailer is a 1973 Cox Breakaway trailer that is in excellent shape. I had to cut on the tongue and bend it back as someone had jackknifed it at some point in its life. The boat is in great shape. It is not the prettiest thing right now as whoever tried to spraypaint it last sucked. Also, at some point a hole developed in the front of the boat and someone tried to weld it with wrond welder, so there is a huge weld puddle that i need to grind off and have welded back right (any welders near Mt Airy, NC). I need to paint the boat bad and have decided on Parker Coating Duck Boat Paint in Hunter Green from Cabelas. The carpet will probably be tan or something (havent quite decided that yet.) I guess i need to sand on the paint first. The company siad if I had existing paint, i could just asnd that to roughen up and spray/roll/brush it on. Im going to have a friend of mine spray it on for me at his body shop.

so far ive:

Trailer:
-Replaced the ugly running boards on trailer
-fixed saftey chains
-fixed trailer lights
-rewired whole trailer
-fixed bent tongue

Boat:
-pressurewashed boat
-Grinded and drill holes smooth (shards of metal that stick up when you drill into metal)
-Installed my fishfinder on back bench (will eventally go on the front when i get boat done)

Mods planned:

-Sand and paint both trailer and boat same color
-fix hub seal of passenger side wheel on trailer
-Install carpeted floors and sides in boat
-install cusioned swivel seats in boat
-build casting deck on the front with pedestal seat
-trade my 50 lbs thrust manual trolling motor for a foot controlled unit
eventually find gas motor as well

Pics:

Here is my Papa welding on the trailer for me:

My truck and my boat:

Last edited by dixie_boysles on 01 Aug 2011, 13:05, edited 6 times in total.

Brine

Help with my 1985 PolarKraft

Post by Brine »

Welcome to the site.

If you're sanding down to bare aluminum, you'll want to use a Self Etching Primer which can be found at Auto Parts Stores, Walmart, etc.....

Rat

Help with my 1985 PolarKraft

Post by Rat »

What Brine said, use Zinc Chromate Primer if going all the way down to bare Alu. If you are just roughing up the factory paint then you just need to use the primer the top side paint manufacturer recommends, whatever that is. Match your primer to your paint; if you are using a light color paint use light color primer and visa versa. Also get the primer for the right temperature, some (most) primers have temperature ratings for application.

dixie_boysles

My 1985 PolarKraft project

Post by dixie_boysles »

i will be pulling it in my buddy's basement today to start the restore process.

on today's list:

-take boat off trailer and place on saw horses
-Grind any rough areas on boat
-get dimensions of boat to layout on autocad.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

Welcome.. I look forward to seeing your progress

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

dyeguy1212 wrote:Welcome.. I look forward to seeing your progress
speaking of progress, I just got off the phone with a friend, he has found a guy to fix that ugly welded spot on my boat for free! We're going to weld of the JB weld that was placed on top, then sand the surrounding area and have it ready for the huy to weld on tomorrow!

Truckmechanic

Post by Truckmechanic »

Welcome aboard. Your trailer doesn't look too bad. Looking forward to seeing your mods.

dyeguy1212

Post by dyeguy1212 »

dixie_boysles wrote:
dyeguy1212 wrote:Welcome.. I look forward to seeing your progress
speaking of progress, I just got off the phone with a friend, he has found a guy to fix that ugly welded spot on my boat for free! We're going to weld of the JB weld that was placed on top, then sand the surrounding area and have it ready for the huy to weld on tomorrow!

Can't beat that price

dearl

Post by dearl »

Welcome, looking forward to some more pics!

albright1695

Post by albright1695 »

Hey dixieboysles! Cant wait to see your progress on your boat. Better hurry though those smallmouth will be biting before too long! albright1695-fellow tinboats.net and ncangler.com member
CNCBA(Central NC Bass Anglers)

MeanMouth

Post by MeanMouth »

Welcome, nice looking setup! Keep us updated...and don't forget the pics as you go!

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

ok, got the spot grinded on and paint removed around it for welding today! There is also a lip on the front of the boat that was tore up so we cut that off and we're going to put a piece of aluminm angle there. We also removed two anchor tie downs because im going with new ones!

My buddy doing some grinding:

Removing tiedowns:

The piece of metal that is on also got removed. It was messed up. Its getting a piece of aluminum angle put in its place. Im just going to pop rivet that in though.

The spot in floor gining me so much trouble

It gets an aluminum plate welded to it today to strengen it as well as seat that area off.

then maybe i can start on some sanding and priming! Also, as far as little screw wholes and stuff, would it be ok to use an marine eposy and fill them with it, then when it dries and hardens, just sand it down even with boat? help please. i want a nice finish on the boat when its done. Also, where is a good place to get the aluminum oxide primer for the boat; is it ok if I use that but dont remove all paint down to bare metal? I dont want to remove all the paint, but there are bare betal spots, what would be best primer for this application...on the cheap?

russ010

Post by russ010 »

as far as paint goes... I would just use any self etching primer - it doesn't have to be sanded all the way down to the bare aluminum to work... just get rid of all the bad paint.

I used zinc chromate as my primer, but I've seen a lot of guys (and I did on my current boat) use regular spray can etching primer. I got mine at Lowe's... and the paint I'm using is the Krylon Camo paint in tan like you get at walmart... it actually looks pretty good and I've decided to paint my whole boat with that stuff.

dixie_boysles

Post by dixie_boysles »

russ010 wrote:as far as paint goes... I would just use any self etching primer - it doesn't have to be sanded all the way down to the bare aluminum to work... just get rid of all the bad paint.

I used zinc chromate as my primer, but I've seen a lot of guys (and I did on my current boat) use regular spray can etching primer. I got mine at Lowe's... and the paint I'm using is the Krylon Camo paint in tan like you get at walmart... it actually looks pretty good and I've decided to paint my whole boat with that stuff.
Sounds good! I guess ill pick up a few cans (how many cans you think it will take?). Now what about the small holes where things have been mounted before? Can i use marine epoxy or regular epoxy to fill them in and then sand down?

also, what grit sandpaper should i use? I was told 150, but im not too sure.

adodger69

Post by adodger69 »

I just got a 1970 14' polar kraft and trailer,so I can't wait to see
what you do on it cause I figure what works on yours will work
on mine!
adodger69