14' Semi V sea nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perchin

Reaction score
I picked this up for $250.00. Started sanding it down in order to rough it up for steelflex. The wind was being uncooperative today, so I built a temperary enclosure to work in for the week. I also added some length to my trailer. I'm not positive what I'm doing yet as far as the mods go, but I'm sure it will be a journey. Here are some pics.

Temp. set-up
DSCN0510.JPG

before cleaning it up.
DSCN0511.JPG

After clean-up.
DSCN0517.JPG
DSCN0516.JPG

Trailer before
100_3413.JPG

Trailer After
DSCN0514.JPG

Added 24"
DSCN0513.JPG

Well got a little bit done today, I applied the first two coats of self etching primer. I didn't do the very bottom becuase I am steel flexing it. ( I would rather the steelflex adhere to the boat itself rather than a film of paint.) Now its just a waiting game on the weather, if its not 80 by friday then I will be doing this in my garage with a heater.

DSCN0530.JPG

I know the shine looks like dents but are really only wire brush cup marks.
DSCN0528.JPG

Man I love my wife.... She's a graphics designer and created this for me. She's making this image into three decals for me, two for the boat and one for the truck. :D

perchin.JPG

perchin said:
Man I love my wife.... She's a graphics designer and created this for me. She's making this image into three decals for me, two for the boat and one for the truck. :D

**** man, that is awesome.

Got some painting done last night. I'll post up some pictures tonight of the progress. I'm going to water test this thing sometime this weekend to check out its stability.

What does the steel flex do? where would you buy it from?
I like the colors your picked, but the logo is to die for.
GOOD WIFE !

zaneroni said:
GOOD WIFE !

https://www.fascoepoxies.com/

Just call them up and ask about it - you can get olive drab, black, white, gray, hialeah blue, navy blue I think, etc. It is a two part epoxy, hard to work with, that when it cures provides a hard candy coating for your boat. Amazing stuff. Jerry is the guy you want to talk to at Fasco. They only take COD or checks (they must be mailed ahead and clear before shipping).

zaneroni said:
GOOD WIFE !

The steelflex is a 2 part epoxy, you can add their dye to it in a mulitude of colors. This stuff creates a protective barrier on your boat, and also seals up 99% of small leaks, like leaky rivets. On leaky rivets I rebuck them, and then apply steelflex. You can get this stuff from Fasco, below is a link for them. They are kinda old fashion with their payment options but are friendly and honest. You can only pay by COD or send them a check then they send you the epoxy. You'll need one of the two options the #9X neutral mix or the #9X-2000. The #9X can only be put on with roller or brush, and the #9X-2000 some people say it can be sprayed, although jerry at fasco says not. The #9X-2000 contains teflon for a slicker surface, but is much more expensive. I got the #9X grey color (1 gallon of mix) for only $60.00 shipped. Good luck my friend. 8)

https://www.fascoepoxies.com/

lol.... When I started to type my last response, nobody had replied yet, I stopped in the middle of typing to get a new cup of coffee. Sorry Ober51 :wink:

perchin said:
lol.... When I started to type my last response, nobody had replied yet, I stopped in the middle of typing to get a new cup of coffee. Sorry Ober51 :wink:

I only gave 2 lines, you provide way more info, no worries at all.

Well I got some more painting done today, started off by building a temporary paint booth in my garage (I should of done this from the start, as my earlier design fell victom to 40 mph winds :evil: ). I then wet sanded in between coats.......... If I can get the garage up to temp tommorow, I'm gonna do the steelflexing on the bottom. [-o<

Some shots of sanding
DSCN0543 [800x600].JPG

DSCN0541 [800x600].JPG

DSCN0537 [800x600].JPG

Some shots of the third coat, I was fighting the awkward lighting..... darn camera's.
DSCN0546 [800x600].JPG

DSCN0547 [800x600].JPG

DSCN0548 [800x600].JPG

Even the close ups are hard to see.... I can't wait to get this in the sunlight!!!
DSCN0544 [800x600].JPG

Well, I tried my hand at steelflexing today and I must say I would rather hand sand the finish off of something than do that again....... This stuff sucks, and I mean sucks to work with. I got er done though. :|

I started out by getting my garage up to heat with a Kerosine heater and a propane heater.
DSCN0559.JPG

I Tapped off what I didn't want steelflex on
DSCN0554.JPG

DSCN0557.JPG

I then cleaned her up with Acetone.
DSCN0560.JPG

I made a tool out of a corner bracket, piece off all thread, and hardware, which I had laying around the shop. I put the 90 degree in the vise and flattened it out, then drilled it out to 3/8" for the all thread. I then bend down a lil on the sides to form paddles. Made for an excellent mixer on the drill. :D
DSCN0551.JPG

DSCN0552.JPG

I then set up my mixing station
DSCN0561.JPG

I mixed up about 6 batches of this liquid hell.
DSCN0564.JPG

In the end it is ok, but there are a few spots that it sagged a bit. :evil:
DSCN0565.JPG

zaneroni said:
looking good. How many coats for flex are you going to put on it?

I put on 2 coats of the liquid nightmare.... I will never do it again, unless its on a flat bottom.... the crap sags like crazy, I had the shop up to 92 degrees in hopes of getting it to set up faster...... almost 8 hours of nothing but babysitting and trying to fix sags all stinken day :evil: In the end it looks horrible, sags all over the place, I even put on the first coat pretty thin, looked allright, did the second, and all hell broke loose.... at least its on the bottom side, and I don't think the fish will mind looking at it :lol:

The paint on the other hand came out steller :D I just need to do the rub rails and the inside paint, then start the mod.

Latest posts