10' SeaMaid Flat Bottom Mod (Updated 7/18/10 - Finished)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
weezer71

Post by weezer71 »

Hi! This is my first post and have been looking at this site for about a month or two after I discovered it. I really love this site! Got alot of info and ideas on making modifications to my 10' SeaMaid jon boat. I know that weight is an issue for a boat of this size, so I wanted to make flooring, seat mounts and storage area that were lighter in weight and removable. I would like to be able to take this boat on the river at times, so that is the reason for the "removable" part. I used 1" X 4" bracing for the front deck with 3/8" ply wood that I treated with water seal. Not alot of room up to the gunwhale, so I had to keep the deck as low as possible. This is NOT a casting deck, just something to keep a seat on and some storage underneath. Next the benches I used the same plywood, but used 1" X 2" wood. The flooring is just the same ply with 1" foam sheeting glued to the plywood with space for the bottom bracing.
Anyway, this will get me through until I decide that I want a bigger boat and then maybe I'll have another OCD modification fit with it too! This project was fun(and my first ever attempt)! It isn't fancy at all, but I feel made a difference. Please let me know your opinions/feedback. Thanks! :)

Scott P.
Indiana
Boat 016.jpg
Boat 016.jpg
Attachments
Boat 015.jpg
Boat 013.jpg
Boat 011.jpg
Boat 006.jpg
Boat 005.jpg
Boat 001.jpg
Last edited by weezer71 on 19 Jul 2010, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P.
Andrews, IN
(weezer71)
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14475

redneckfisher

10' SeaMaid Flat Bottom Mod

Post by redneckfisher »

awesome job on the boat. =D> i just finshed modifying my 10 ft jon boat also. on mine i used 2"x3"s to attach everything to and i put a front deck on it from the middle seat to the front seat and a back deck from the back seat to the transom. the plywood i used on the decks was 1/2" and 3/8" and it didn't add much weight, my boat only sits maybe 1" lower but heres mine: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14073 i havent updated the pics because my camera aint working but this should give you an idea. oh and i added a custom made aluminum livewell.

weezer71

Post by weezer71 »

Thanks! I just made a makeshift portable livewell with a taller cooler and a bait aerator. Only got to use it once so far though. Now a trailer is in the future! :) Hope you get the camera working, like to see your progress. Thanks again!
Scott P.
Andrews, IN
(weezer71)

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Looks pretty nice, have you fished it yet? My dad got one to hang off the back of his 28' Chris Craft for marsh exploring and I can't see putting raised seats on it. I think your inner ear will rebel after a couple hours rocking back and forth up there...

Jamie

weezer71

Post by weezer71 »

Thanks! Everything is finished, just need to put it in the water to see how the seats will feel. Not util my truck gets fixed this week though :x . I did wonder about the seat height too. Tried to keep it as low as I could for mounting, but if it doesn't work, then I will get some other pedestal mounts that will fit lower. Will be adding a fish finder soon too! (Birthday this week) and I plan on making a removable mount for it. Got this idea from a video that I saw on RC Boat Videos.com and it is a really cool and simple set up. I'll post pics when that happens. Thanks again for the reply/feedback!
Scott P.
Andrews, IN
(weezer71)

Froggy

Post by Froggy »

Very nice for a 10ft, I would stay close to the bench, unless the water is calm.

cavman138

Post by cavman138 »

Looks like a great/smart mod for a 10 footer. Good work
My work in progress:
My PolarKraft 1648 Mod!

WaHooWa
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

weezer71

10' SeaMaid Flat Bottom Mod (Finished)

Post by weezer71 »

Well I finally got the fishfinder, removable transducer and rod storage holders mounted!! :D All in all I think this project turned out pretty good (better than I expected). It isn't real fancy, but makes the boat look better and is alot more compfortable with the swivel seats! took it out for the first time with the mods and it went pretty well. The added height with the seats made the boat a little more wobbly, but was managable. My son doesn't have his "sea balance" and hated the extra rocking movement!!! :LOL2: I've added some more pics of the finished product and some close ups of the removable transducer. Like I posted awhile back, I got this idea from a video on RC Boats.com. It turned out really well and the fishfinder worked great! The only downside to that is we ended up with an empty livewell :x Guess I'll just have to keep trying which really breaks my heart :LOL2: Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

Scott P.
Huntington, IN
(weezer71)
Attachments
Gonna try to get a trailer next. think it would be a good idea, but at least it is still tailgate portable.
Gonna try to get a trailer next. think it would be a good idea, but at least it is still tailgate portable.
New fishfinder!
New fishfinder!
Boat 021.jpg
Boat 020.jpg
Closer view. Used a car radio puller bracket as a guide for height and centering.
Closer view. Used a car radio puller bracket as a guide for height and centering.
removable transducer mount
removable transducer mount
Boat 017.jpg
Scott P.
Andrews, IN
(weezer71)

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

I'd drop the seats down and take it for a trip to see if it's more comfortable being stable.

Jamie

redneckfisher

Post by redneckfisher »

my custom made aluminum livewell leaked and all i did was put water in it found the hole and resealed it with geocel 2320 (the best gutter/aluminum sealent ever)

BaitCaster

Post by BaitCaster »

Nice work and welcome. For a second I thought that was a PowerPole mounted on the transom!
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14160

Loggerhead Mike

Post by Loggerhead Mike »

good job brother look'n pretty slick!

weezer71

Post by weezer71 »

Thanks 8)
Scott P.
Andrews, IN
(weezer71)

weezer71

Post by weezer71 »

BaitCaster wrote:Nice work and welcome. For a second I thought that was a PowerPole mounted on the transom!
LOL :LOL2: Never looked at it that way! On second thought, it may be an idea as a pole for a satellite dish!!! Add that with a grill like yankyfan's got and I would have it made!! :lol:
Scott P.
Andrews, IN
(weezer71)

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

just bought an 8fter OMG does it rock! I was thinking I might go catarmaran and put an outrigger on one side with a single rudder. Im gonna get me an 8 ft piece of PC or ABS an rig it up with some unistrut somehow so I can paddle from one side. I figure if I fill the pipe with triple expanding foam ans cap it on both ends it'll help with the weight and stability. What say you?