10' SeaMaid Flat Bottom Mod (Updated 7/18/10 - Finished)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weezer71

Reaction score
Hi! This is my first post and have been looking at this site for about a month or two after I discovered it. I really love this site! Got alot of info and ideas on making modifications to my 10' SeaMaid jon boat. I know that weight is an issue for a boat of this size, so I wanted to make flooring, seat mounts and storage area that were lighter in weight and removable. I would like to be able to take this boat on the river at times, so that is the reason for the "removable" part. I used 1" X 4" bracing for the front deck with 3/8" ply wood that I treated with water seal. Not alot of room up to the gunwhale, so I had to keep the deck as low as possible. This is NOT a casting deck, just something to keep a seat on and some storage underneath. Next the benches I used the same plywood, but used 1" X 2" wood. The flooring is just the same ply with 1" foam sheeting glued to the plywood with space for the bottom bracing.
Anyway, this will get me through until I decide that I want a bigger boat and then maybe I'll have another OCD modification fit with it too! This project was fun(and my first ever attempt)! It isn't fancy at all, but I feel made a difference. Please let me know your opinions/feedback. Thanks! :)

Scott P.
IndianaBoat 016.jpg

Attachments

• Boat 001.jpg
    Boat 001.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 5,069
  • Boat 005.jpg
    Boat 005.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 5,069
  • Boat 006.jpg
    Boat 006.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 5,069
  • Boat 011.jpg
    Boat 011.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 5,069
  • Boat 013.jpg
    Boat 013.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 5,069
  • Boat 015.jpg
    Boat 015.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 5,069
awesome job on the boat. =D> i just finshed modifying my 10 ft jon boat also. on mine i used 2"x3"s to attach everything to and i put a front deck on it from the middle seat to the front seat and a back deck from the back seat to the transom. the plywood i used on the decks was 1/2" and 3/8" and it didn't add much weight, my boat only sits maybe 1" lower but heres mine: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=14073 i havent updated the pics because my camera aint working but this should give you an idea. oh and i added a custom made aluminum livewell.

Thanks! I just made a makeshift portable livewell with a taller cooler and a bait aerator. Only got to use it once so far though. Now a trailer is in the future! :) Hope you get the camera working, like to see your progress. Thanks again!

Looks pretty nice, have you fished it yet? My dad got one to hang off the back of his 28' Chris Craft for marsh exploring and I can't see putting raised seats on it. I think your inner ear will rebel after a couple hours rocking back and forth up there...

Jamie

Thanks! Everything is finished, just need to put it in the water to see how the seats will feel. Not util my truck gets fixed this week though :x . I did wonder about the seat height too. Tried to keep it as low as I could for mounting, but if it doesn't work, then I will get some other pedestal mounts that will fit lower. Will be adding a fish finder soon too! (Birthday this week) and I plan on making a removable mount for it. Got this idea from a video that I saw on RC Boat Videos.com and it is a really cool and simple set up. I'll post pics when that happens. Thanks again for the reply/feedback!

Well I finally got the fishfinder, removable transducer and rod storage holders mounted!! :D All in all I think this project turned out pretty good (better than I expected). It isn't real fancy, but makes the boat look better and is alot more compfortable with the swivel seats! took it out for the first time with the mods and it went pretty well. The added height with the seats made the boat a little more wobbly, but was managable. My son doesn't have his "sea balance" and hated the extra rocking movement!!! :LOL2: I've added some more pics of the finished product and some close ups of the removable transducer. Like I posted awhile back, I got this idea from a video on RC Boats.com. It turned out really well and the fishfinder worked great! The only downside to that is we ended up with an empty livewell :x Guess I'll just have to keep trying which really breaks my heart :LOL2: Please let me know your opinions. Thanks!

Scott P.
Huntington, IN
(weezer71)

Attachments

• Boat 017.jpg
    Boat 017.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Boat 018.jpg
    Boat 018.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Boat 019.jpg
    Boat 019.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Boat 020.jpg
    Boat 020.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Boat 021.jpg
    Boat 021.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Boat 022.jpg
    Boat 022.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Boat 023.jpg
    Boat 023.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 4,482
my custom made aluminum livewell leaked and all i did was put water in it found the hole and resealed it with geocel 2320 (the best gutter/aluminum sealent ever)

BaitCaster said:
Nice work and welcome. For a second I thought that was a PowerPole mounted on the transom!
LOL :LOL2: Never looked at it that way! On second thought, it may be an idea as a pole for a satellite dish!!! Add that with a grill like yankyfan's got and I would have it made!! :lol:

just bought an 8fter OMG does it rock! I was thinking I might go catarmaran and put an outrigger on one side with a single rudder. Im gonna get me an 8 ft piece of PC or ABS an rig it up with some unistrut somehow so I can paddle from one side. I figure if I fill the pipe with triple expanding foam ans cap it on both ends it'll help with the weight and stability. What say you?

I really like the mod here because its so functional and simple. I have a 12' V hull i recently bought. I plan on doing a similar type setup as displayed here. But I guess my real question is, what are the typical ways that one would attach the base framework of the front deck. Is it just a snug fit, or are a few of those 2"x4" supports riveted etc to the alluminum?

mattmean said:
I really like the mod here because its so functional and simple. I have a 12' V hull i recently bought. I plan on doing a similar type setup as displayed here. But I guess my real question is, what are the typical ways that one would attach the base framework of the front deck. Is it just a snug fit, or are a few of those 2"x4" supports riveted etc to the alluminum?

The front deck is just a snug fit. The majority of the support(s) are on top of the front aluminium deck already riveted on the boat. I just extended it out a bit with supports on the side and bottom (to the floor) so I could have some storage space underneath and more room for the front seat. One of the pics posted shows the underneath side of the front deck. There is a small "track" if you will right below the gunwhale that the edges slide into and rest upon. Not a perfect fit, but really close and it is enough to to the job and yet still be able to slide the decking out when I am done. Hope this helps and thanks for lookin'! :)

coalcracker said:
just bought an 8fter OMG does it rock! I was thinking I might go catarmaran and put an outrigger on one side with a single rudder. Im gonna get me an 8 ft piece of PC or ABS an rig it up with some unistrut somehow so I can paddle from one side. I figure if I fill the pipe with triple expanding foam ans cap it on both ends it'll help with the weight and stability. What say you?
Not sure how that would work? :roll: There are a few people that have posted similar ideas and show different ways to do it.One of them used aluminium tubing and welded it to each side of the boat. Didn't look like it stuck out much either. I would use the "search" tool bar on this site. Might start with "Outrigger for small jon boat"...etc and see where that takes you. Hope this helps and good luck :)

My wife and I just bought a little 10 foot jon boat just like the one that you started with here. I told her that we were going to build (mod) a boat, and she wasn't sure what we could do with such a small craft, but your project is an inspiration. Thank you for sharing!

that realy turned out real nice. i might rethink the seats being up that high. the lower you are the more stable . those are nice little boats . i have a 12 x48 ,there ain't nobody gettin in there but me. that thing is just toooo unstable unless i'm right in the middle,but ...it will do 40 plus mph . hummm they must be like bikes the faster you go the more stable . well anyway , wear your life jacket and have fun !

Latest posts