12' Deep V sketch plans for mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12_Tinner

Reaction score
Hey guys, i got a sketck i did in paint. basically what the picture is what i want it to look like. i want to cut the three bench seats out of the boat then cut a 1/2" plywood floor out to size, get it treated and carpeted and slightly elevated above the floor on blocks. next are 2 seat pedistal kits, useually just the front pedistal will be used but if ts just me in the boat then no pedistals will be in the boat.anyway, that then in the back i want to make a 16"-20"L plywood box with a swing dooron the front closed by a simple hook latch. above it sits another folding chair. under it can be life coats or a cooler with food. other than that i want to make a small box in the front to mount a trolling motor onto(powerdrive minn kota 45lb thrust) and perhaps a hummminbird 500 series or a lowrance with a 5" screen on a nice mount.

the red thing at the bank symbolizes a gas tank.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_06 Oct. 05 14.41.jpg
    ScreenHunter_06 Oct. 05 14.41.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,681
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1,681
  • ScreenHunter_05 Oct. 05 14.40.jpg
    ScreenHunter_05 Oct. 05 14.40.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,672
Be careful removing all the seats, you will cause your hull to flex more without the support of them. Otherwise, seems like you have a decent plan. Should be fun.

X3. You're already warped inwards a little on your right hand side. Nobody's saying you can't remove the seats, just be sure you build reinforcement back in to replace your bracing.

lbursell said:
X3. You're already warped inwards a little on your right hand side. Nobody's saying you can't remove the seats, just be sure you build reinforcement back in to replace your bracing.

How could i keep the sides from flexing outwards, do you have any braces i could make with wood?

Well, you quoted me, so here's my input based on what I can see from your picture and sketches. Just remember this is only suggestions and, as advice, its worth exactly what you're paying for it.

1. Leave the benches as they are. They are an integral part of the design of your boat and are essential to the boat's strength. I'm a big believer in working with what you got. Instead of taking them out, use them as a base to build on.
2. Go ahead with the trolling motor deck you have in your sketch. Bring it back only as far as you need to (and no more) in order to make a secure, strong mount for the trolling motor. That should give you just enough room for the TM and maybe a place to mount your sonar.
3. The back edge of the TM/Sonar deck should (I'm guessing) be just about even or a little past the front edge of the front bench. Enclose that space with a vertical piece of plywood or aluminum, with a door built into it so the enclosed space can be used for storage.
4. Run a horizontal deck from the front bench to the middle bench, again with a hatch, maybe two, built in for storage. Don't deck any higher than the height of your benches. Its a small boat and you don't want it getting tippy.
5. Between the middle and back benches, only deck high enough to take out the curve of the floor.

All of this is nothing more than my suggestions based on the single picture you've posted above. In the end, you'll have to make the final decisions based on the vision you have for what this boat can be for you. Take your time with it, study it for a week or so with a cup of coffee or the beverage of your choice in your hand. Don't make it a high pressure situation. If you don't enjoy the process, it won't be any fun. And thats what this is supposed to be all about.

Peace,

Larry

lbursell said:
Well, you quoted me, so here's my input based on what I can see from your picture and sketches. Just remember this is only suggestions and, as advice, its worth exactly what you're paying for it.

1. Leave the benches as they are. They are an integral part of the design of your boat and are essential to the boat's strength. I'm a big believer in working with what you got. Instead of taking them out, use them as a base to build on.
2. Go ahead with the trolling motor deck you have in your sketch. Bring it back only as far as you need to (and no more) in order to make a secure, strong mount for the trolling motor. That should give you just enough room for the TM and maybe a place to mount your sonar.
3. The back edge of the TM/Sonar deck should (I'm guessing) be just about even or a little past the front edge of the front bench. Enclose that space with a vertical piece of plywood or aluminum, with a door built into it so the enclosed space can be used for storage.
4. Run a horizontal deck from the front bench to the middle bench, again with a hatch, maybe two, built in for storage. Don't deck any higher than the height of your benches. Its a small boat and you don't want it getting tippy.
5. Between the middle and back benches, only deck high enough to take out the curve of the floor.

All of this is nothing more than my suggestions based on the single picture you've posted above. In the end, you'll have to make the final decisions based on the vision you have for what this boat can be for you. Take your time with it, study it for a week or so with a cup of coffee or the beverage of your choice in your hand. Don't make it a high pressure situation. If you don't enjoy the process, it won't be any fun. And thats what this is supposed to be all about.

Peace,

Larry

I like your ideas. A bow mount is a must for the project and I like the idea of the front box with the door...meaning that would be the front bench needs to come out but that's ok. A deck overlaying the middle bench extending to the front TM Base/Storage would be nice too. Maybe in the dead center of that small front deck a pedistal mount on the floor and keep the bucket seat in the back on the bench. I want a low floor in the back, basacially a piece of plywood 2-4" above the floor so water can move from front to back when on plane. I still got to get it painted, my uncle is a pro and he's painting the outside slick shiny black with chrome trim on the top capping stuff that goes along the entire boat...on the inside, pearl white or gray with the back bench varnished and lackered...We will just paint over the trandsom ply wood, seems to be fine still...will replace in a few years.

2 trolling rod holders and my 2 huge power pro decals for the upper tip of the boat on the outside and it will look sick.

I've been looking at these on board chargers by minn kota. I would get the 45lb thrust power drive most likely...not the best unit but it would not take much abuse or weathering however the motor is hopefully a 9.9hp or 15hp 2 or 4 stroke. I will not get a 15hp 4 stroke cause its just too heave but a 4 stroke 9.9 or a 2 stroke 15 would be awesome for the back...I don't know much about these on board chargers but what do i need, just a motor the way it is?

"1. Leave the benches as they are. They are an integral part of the design of your boat and are essential to the boat's strength."......

x2

Outdoorsman