To deck or not to deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asinz

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new here to the site and would like to say I enjoy reading about everyones mods, so I have a question. I just purchased a 14ft jon with 48 wide beam, wanting to put a front deck on and wanted to get feedback. Don't know the brand, not a sticker on it anywhere. I know wider is better but this was such a deal I couldn't pass it up. I searched for anyone that has done the decking on this width but didn't find it, or overlooked it. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• 2_edit.jpg
    2_edit.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 19,255
  • 4_edit.jpg
    4_edit.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 19,257
  • 5_edit.jpg
    5_edit.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 19,264
  • 6_edit.jpg
    6_edit.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 19,262
Welcome asinz,
Thanks for joining! :D Can you post up a picture or 2 of your boat?

From the dimensions you mention, Its seems like it would be no problem.

Jim

Thanks for joining - and posting.

Pics woudl really help, if not yours, then maybe you can Google up one just like it

Beam size isn't as important as bottom size. Measure it from the transom. I personally would not deck any boat less than 36" bottom width.

It's 32. I won't be dancing on it, unless I bring in a trophy! Then I guess we will both be in the water.

I would deck it, but I would do like esquired said and leave the back open, I mean your partner doesn't have to be able to flip effectively. :p

All I can say is I decked mine and it is much nicer now. I kept the mid decks really low. Have a look at my post on my 14 foot jon to get some ideas. Decks don't always have to be high to be functional.

It will be decked, just not as high in the front. It will be a little different than others I have seen, so as soon as I start I will post pics of progress, at least I hope it can be considered progress.

Here it is, not as high as I would like it but I hope it will feel a little more stable. The bench seat was cut out into a U shape and then reinforced, the foam that was under that seat will be placed under the deck. Didn't take any pics of the frame below the deck but if anyone wants to see it I can. Will post more pics as I progress.

Attachments

• 7_edit.jpg
    7_edit.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 18,371
  • 12_edit.jpg
    12_edit.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 18,365
Got some more done will post pics later today, but on a different subject, has anyone had any dealings with these trailers,

Safely transport your boat to and from the water. Large back signal lights are easy to use. Light weight for maneuverability.Shipped in three cartons (due to size of components). Width between fenders: 38-1/2".

* Load capacity: 600 lbs.
* Boat length: 12 to 14 ft
* Overall length: 154"
* Overall width: 50"
* Tire size: 4.80" x 8" ID

On sale for $299, regular price $329

Attachments

• 05002.gif
    05002.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 12,195

Latest posts