21ft flat bottom The "Bucket"

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
JBoze

Big flat bottom boat re-build Progress Update with new pics

Post by JBoze »

Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Flat Bottom

Big flat bottom boat re-build Progress Update with new pics

Post by Flat Bottom »

Little more progress, The aluminum sheet I'm using puckered alot when I welded it in. I figured it would but what do you guys think? I had to cut a relieve line down the center of the new piece because it bowed to much, now i'm just sucking it up to the angle pieces, but I ran out of wire today so... maybe I'll get some more done tomorrow. Slowly but surely... guess i'm gonna have somewhat of a wavy bottom :)
Attachments
Many forces of nature working against me on this one. This is the pucker I got from trying to get this all fit in good. It should shrink up a little when I weld the line down the center... or so I hope.
Many forces of nature working against me on this one. This is the pucker I got from trying to get this all fit in good. It should shrink up a little when I weld the line down the center... or so I hope.
IMAG0194.jpg
IMAG0193.jpg
21ft Flat Bottom Project
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=17020

"America... love it, or get the H#$% out now"

BrazosDon

21ft Custom Flat Bottom Overhaul. Check it out lots of pics

Post by BrazosDon »

Flat Bottom, is the thickness of the metal that you're welding in the same thickness that the boat is made of? If not, there will be a deferential distribution of heat between the two pieces of metal causing the metal to warp the thinner metal. Also, you might be welding in one area too long so the metal can't cool sufficiently as you weld. Remember heat range and speed. The trick there is to weld about an inch then go to another spot(maybe on the opposite side) and do the same thing and keep doing that until the welding is done. Also practice on some pieces before you start on the main project. Practice makes perfect

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

BrazosDon wrote:Flat Bottom, is the thickness of the metal that you're welding in the same thickness that the boat is made of? If not, there will be a deferential distribution of heat between the two pieces of metal causing the metal to warp the thinner metal. Also, you might be welding in one area too long so the metal can't cool sufficiently as you weld. Remember heat range and speed. The trick there is to weld about an inch then go to another spot(maybe on the opposite side) and do the same thing and keep doing that until the welding is done. Also practice on some pieces before you start on the main project. Practice makes perfect

Thanks for the feedback Brazos, Both old and new are 1/8" thick. Nothing on the cutout, or my welding job is perfect :) I weld aluminum like I'm tightening lug nuts, all over the place. but you are right. The pucker is a combination of the boat's bottom not being level, a little un square, and of course heat. But at least I got the dang thing in there, now just have to fight it a bit.
21ft Flat Bottom Project

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

Got the last piece of the puzzle bent today, 66degree angle, got a bit more cutting and welding to do but she's nearing the point of water worthy once again. Guy at norco said the alchoa (sp?) plant that is the main provider of my beloved 5356 aluminum wire burnt down so there is a national shortage of the wire. Luckily i should have 3 more 1lb rolls coming tomorrow that is under a different name so other than it raining today, i'm waiting on wire to get the project wrapped up.
Attachments
Transom piece bend, just have to cut to fit and weld. time is nearing for first float test.
Transom piece bend, just have to cut to fit and weld. time is nearing for first float test.
21ft Flat Bottom Project

fool4fish1226

Post by fool4fish1226 »

Starting to take shape and looking good too =D>
Work: A dangerous disorder affecting high public functionaries who want to go fishing

Project "A Little Snookered" https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=22132

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

Yeah, it's been a long time coming :)
21ft Flat Bottom Project

bigwave

Post by bigwave »

I am curious. You are welding that piece back into the hull. Why don't you weld some angle iron over the smooth area on the bottom, It seems that you could get close to the original strakes with the correct size angle iron. To me it seems that that much smooth area might affect the boat, and maybe even let the ass end slide under a hard turn. I have already made up my mind, I will learn how to weld aluminum for my next project. It makes me jealous watching this build, like you I do not have that much experience with welding, but I do have some good ideas. I don't mind making mistakes, but I sure do wish i had the ability to weld on my current mod.....why you ask? I would make the boat bullet proof for years of hard use, might even put in some rocket launchers and battering rams for the weekend clowns around here....... :lol:

Good job so far
Kevin
1984 14 Deep Fisherman Mirrorcraft
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23315

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

bigwave wrote:I am curious. You are welding that piece back into the hull. Why don't you weld some angle iron over the smooth area on the bottom, It seems that you could get close to the original strakes with the correct size angle iron. To me it seems that that much smooth area might affect the boat, and maybe even let the ass end slide under a hard turn. I have already made up my mind, I will learn how to weld aluminum for my next project. It makes me jealous watching this build, like you I do not have that much experience with welding, but I do have some good ideas. I don't mind making mistakes, but I sure do wish i had the ability to weld on my current mod.....why you ask? I would make the boat bullet proof for years of hard use, might even put in some rocket launchers and battering rams for the weekend clowns around here....... :lol:

Good job so far
Kevin

I have alot of experience welding... just not aluminum, and it's a monster of it's own lol. I hear what your saying about the strakes, but I think i'm gonna give it a try without them, mainly $$ but it will still have side runners, i dunno we'll see. I hear you on the battering ram and rocket launcher mmmmmmmm..... Hopefully My work now will last a long long time on the boat.
21ft Flat Bottom Project

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

Progress report, just about in floating condition some of the welds are uglier than I would like but oh well just a little more welding and a big transom board away from seeing if it will indeed float. This thing is a pain in the ..... To flip over.
Attachments
IMAG0201.jpg
IMAG0199.jpg
IMAG0197.jpg
21ft Flat Bottom Project

BrazosDon

Post by BrazosDon »

Looking good, Flat Bottom. Is there a wooden transom board that goes in there? Also, what kind of wire feed welder are you using? What type of gun, spool gun or other? I have the Millermatic 130 with the standard welding gun(M15) that came with it. I would like to have a spool gun but there is not one for the MM130.

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

BrazosDon wrote:Looking good, Flat Bottom. Is there a wooden transom board that goes in there? Also, what kind of wire feed welder are you using? What type of gun, spool gun or other? I have the Millermatic 130 with the standard welding gun(M15) that came with it. I would like to have a spool gun but there is not one for the MM130.

Hey brazos, I'm using a mm180 with the 100 series spool gun. For the amount of welding I had to do it was alot easier than trying to push aluminum wire through the normal leed. If you were to upgrade in the future the 180 seems to be a fairly well rounded machine
21ft Flat Bottom Project

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

Not much to report, the wind has been blowing constantly so I can't get any welding done, hopefully we have some calmer weather coming up here as I'm very close to testing this bad boy out in the water. I'll report back soon
21ft Flat Bottom Project

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

Update, back on the trailer, slapped some paint on the bottom and decided to go see if it would float. Floats good, a couple small leaks through the transom where i tried to weld some holes, so after a couple failed attempts to weld them back up, i went with jb weld... leaks solved. Today were gonna work on the transom board, hopefully get the boat ready for the engine within the next day or two.
Attachments
IMAG0202.jpg
buddy of mine checking for leaks
buddy of mine checking for leaks
IMAG0204.jpg
IMAG0205.jpg
21ft Flat Bottom Project

Flat Bottom

Post by Flat Bottom »

More progress, I have managed to get alot done in the last few days. painted what was left to be painted (at least the first coat) got red oak hardwood plywood cut and drilled for the transom and coated 4X with spar urethane (that stuff makes a beautiful looking durable finish) cut and coated a few wood cross members i'm using on the new part of the hull. as of now, transom is ready to accept the engine, and i need to start modifying the console and get it riveted in so i can plumb everything for the engine. I'm going to leave it floorless for the first few test runs just to make sure the hull is good and sound. Here are a few pictures.
Attachments
I am very pleased with how this turned out.
I am very pleased with how this turned out.
IMAG0208.jpg
IMAG0207.jpg
IMAG0206.jpg
21ft Flat Bottom Project