1985 Rhyan Craft spruce up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natestep

Reaction score
I just bought a 1985 Rhyan Craft on a home made trailer and it has an old 9.8hp Mercury on it. It has been tucked away in a hay barn for the last five years. I aired up the tires unloaded all the feed sacks, chainsaws, bench vises, and horse tack out of it and drug it out. I took the trailer it had with it and did a paint job on it and replaced the boards and carpet on it. I had a 14' Quachita that I had already fixed up real nice and sold it to a fellow. I am now gonna do the Rhyan Craft. I sanded the outside and it turned off real cold. I decided that I was gonna take it to my Dad's shop cause it is heated. I put it on my old trailer and it didnt fit right at all. I got the boat to his house and got to looking to see what I was gonna have to do to the the boat to ride right. Next thing you know I had the hot wrench fired up and started cutting. The tongue on the trailer was bent and swayed and need fixed any way so it got whacked off. I bought a piece of 3X3X1/8 square tubing and weld it on there for a tongue. Istalled a new 2" coupler, Reese fold up wheel hack, new safty chains, and had to fab a new arm that the front of the boat sets against. I used 2X2X3/16 square tubing for that part then mounted my winch in kinda a neat location. Tomorrow Im headed back to put on the new paint job. I took a bunch of pics but left the camera at the shop. Maybe I will remember it tomorrow night. When I get the trailer done Im starting on the boat. I dont know exactly what Im gonna do yet but Ive looked at a bunch of the boats on here and it unbeliveable what some of these turn out to be. Im a new guy on the site and just want to say that this is the neatest site that I have ever been on.

Oh I forgot the neatest part. I put a fuel line on the Merc. and primed her up. After sitting for 5 years she fired up on the third pull. I couldnt believe it. The impeller appears weak but it was peeing water. Figure it needs changed anyhow.

Well I got the trailer finished today and actually remembered my camera. I uploaded all the pics to photobucket. I started to put some of them on this post and it says that my images are to wide. Can someone help me on resizeing my pics?

I got the boat painted and pinstriped the trailer yesterday while waiting on the boat to dry. Gonna try another pic here.
BoatBuild.jpg

natestep said:
Well I got the trailer finished today and actually remembered my camera. I uploaded all the pics to photobucket. I started to put some of them on this post and it says that my images are to wide. Can someone help me on resizeing my pics?

Seems like everytime I log in to Photobucket, they've changed their layout. At one time, before you clicked on "Upload Pics", there was a dropdown "Upload Options" for what size you wanted the pics to be loaded as. The size I use is the 480 x 640.

Thanks Brine, Im not to computer savy anyhow. I have them all saved. When I get some time I will just delete the album and try again. Im glad I found this site. You boys can build some boats. Im gonna get started on my decking on Monday. I pulled the boat home from my Dad's shop yesterday and a guy was trying to buy the boat. Im addicted to this stuff already. Im already looking for a boat like yours to do next.

I figured out the pic problem thanks to Brine. The top pic is where im at now and the bottom is where I started after taking out some old decks and barn dust. Im gonna post a few more now that I know what Im doing.

The old tongue on the trailer had some issues so I had to fix that.
Boatbuild004.jpg

Boatbuild005.jpg

Boatbuild006.jpg

Boatbuild012.jpg

I painted the trailer with Rustolem gloss black paint. I painted the wheels metalic silver and put some silver pinstripes on the trailer.
Boatbuild011.jpg

photo1.jpg

I have a 1976 Mercury 110 9.8hp motor and it looks pretty ruff. I peeled all the old decals off today and its gonna get a paint job also.
Im starting on the decks tomorrow.

That trailer with the gloss black paint looks great! I'm starting a new boat project too, so I'll be keeping track of yours. Thanks!

Wow, that black looks great nate.

Looks like you made that bow stop solid too. =D>

Thanks Brine. I got the decks framed out today. Im going to change the rear drybox tomorrow. I built it for one lid and have decided to make it two lids and a seat in the middle just in case. Im going to cut all the plywood tomorrow and start getting all the wood work sealed up. I also put a pic of the motor on here. After the boat is done Im gonna give it a face lift with lots of body work, fresh paint, custom graphics, tuneup, and a new impeller.
boatbuilddeckpics001.jpg

boatbuilddeckpics002.jpg

boatbuilddeckpics003.jpg

boatbuilddeckpics004.jpg

Something else I did was made a motor lock. I was looking at them at Academy and they are kinda pricey for what they are. I took a piece of 1" square tubing and knotched one side, with a saw zall, all the way down to about 3/4" of one end. I then drilled a hole in the other and snaped a pad lock through it. It cost me $6.00 for the pad lock compared to about $25.00 to buy one. You can see it in the pic of the motor.

natestep said:
Something else I did was made a motor lock. I was looking at them at Academy and they are kinda pricey for what they are. I took a piece of 1" square tubing and knotched one side, with a saw zall, all the way down to about 3/4" of one end. I then drilled a hole in the other and snaped a pad lock through it. It cost me $6.00 for the pad lock compared to about $25.00 to buy one. You can see it in the pic of the motor.

Could you take a closer picture of this. I am looking to buy one but I am always trying to save a little money.

Trinity I will get you a pic tomorrow. I got alot accomplished today and one of them was forgeting my camera so the only pics today are cell phone pics. I got almost all the decking done, and some of the wiring done today. I still got a piece to put in front of the rear seat and one on top of the seat. Im gonna do them in the morning then get the first coat of spar on everything and run some more wires.
Deckpics2.jpg

Deckpics.jpg

Trinity here is a pic of the motor lock. Its not much but it will keep an honest man honest.
Boatbuild001-1.jpg

I got spar on all the wood today and the battery box mounted. I also built the mount for the trolling motor. I had other stuff I had to do this morning so I didnt get everything done that I wanted. They are calling for quite abit of snow tomorrow so I dont know if I will work on it tomorrow or not. Its getting close and Im ready to see the finished product. The carpet is next and I hope that I have learned enough off of the site that I can manage it. Here are some new pics.
Boatbuild006-1.jpg

Boatbuild003-1.jpg

Boatbuild002-1.jpg

I didnt get anything done on the boat today. It snowed all day and I just stayed home with the family. I did a little shopping around today and purchased a new project so I have another waiting on me now. Here she is.
Tuckersoldboat003.jpg

Tuckersoldboat004.jpg

Tuckersoldboat007.jpg

Its a 1989 Lowe 161 Falcon. It has a Johnson 40hp on it but it has a rod thrown in it. The first step is a clean up to see what I got. Im bidding on complete powerhead on Ebay that should solve the engine issue. Then its time to save up to start the mods.

I got most of the carpet in today. Now I understand why some fuss about the carpet. This is the only part of the build that Im not enjoying. It looks good but just not my favorite part. Ready to get it done and start on the new one.

Latest posts