Reed's 1542 Alumacraft Swamp Sled.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richg99 said:
Hope it is "closed cell" foam.
The open stuff weighs a ton after water gets inside.
Rich
The label saidit was for interior and exterior use, and it resists moisture. Iput a coat of urethane on anyway just to be safe. It seems to be the same stuff used in the seats of most boats. I'm only out about $14. If it turns out bad lol.

I don't know of an easy test for closed vs open cell foam...but did find this comment on iboats.
"Re: questions on foam under floor?

Glad you ask! This has never been debated ever! lol..Ok maybe once or twice.

You have a LOT of options to go with beginning with no foam actually..
But I would say the following list in order are what is currently in use.

1. Closed cell pink foam from any big box DIY center
2. Poured in self expanding foam (a nightmare to remove and probably whats under your deck now.
3. POOL NOODLES (yes, 99 cent pool noodles)
Rich

I'm gonna leave the regular old foam I got it in it for now. If it gets waterlogged and heavy i will get the other stuff later. It all comes out nice and easy. The hardest part would be going to home dept. 2 miles down the road. No big deal.

I heard about the closed cell foam but when i was looking for it, and I didn't see anything on any of the different foam board that actually said "Closed Cell Foam". So I got the stuff that said it was moisture resistant, and for exterior use. Plus it's what I have seen in other boats so I just went with it. Oh well live and learn. I think it'll be ok for a season or so.

I have abandoned the idea of the console and remote motor. I think I am getting so far beyond why I bought a jon boat it the first place I need to get back to basics. I just wanted a small boat to get back into the creeks and stuff. I guess if I wanted a bass boat or a center console Jet boat i should have just got one to start with.

Im going to finish the flooring this weekend and deck the back bench to the transom and make the hatch for the gas tank. Then make a trip to Gander mtn for a seat to mount on the rear bench to operate a simple pull start 20hp tiller.

All that other stuff sounded good but now that I think about it, it just seems like too much. I just want to get out there and fish/hunt.

I think you have it right, now. Fish, hunt, enjoy. After a season of doing that stuff, you can whack away and make all the mods that are NECESSARY.

After going fishing a few times, I always found things that I should have done. I also often found that things that I did when I first got the boat.... were just time and materials wasted. Just the nature of those of us who hang on this site, I guess.

regards, rich

I did a little work over the weekend and finally got around to posting some pics.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 16,588
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 16,590
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 16,587
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 16,587
A couple more pics. I still need to add the side console ( I decided to go ahead with my original plans) and figure out a way to build a removable front deck for bowfishing but that can wait till after I get a motor and trailer.

I talked to a guy today about a late 90's 40 hp merc 2 stroke with oil injection and power tilt/trim! He wasn't sure if it was a short or long shaft but I can always get a jack plate if the price on the motor is right. I bet that thing would push my "little swamp sled" close to 50mph!

Its all starting to come together.

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 16,585
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 16,585
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 16,585
I bought a 12/36 2 days ago. I think I will follow suit on that back deck. How will you run a tiller motor from those two seats? This is my 1st boat. Sorry if it's a stupid question. Do you think it would be bad to put my TM on that back deck? My 10 yr. old son will be fishing up front and I really don't want him running the TM.

Latest posts