my new 16 ft. Monark project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshhegwood

Reaction score
Alright here she is i picked this beauty up the first of january. I think i got a deal only paying $600 for her. The package included the boat, trailer, 35 ft. lbs. bow mounted trolling motor, battery box and two folding seats that i have already taken off. I have already ripped out the rotted original transom and got my new piece or Sapele mahogany fitted drilled, and coated three times with spar urethane. I hope to get it installed tomorrow. Plans are to install a front casting deck and floors all covered in carpet. I would like to give a big thanks for all that the members that help out all the newbies out here. What you do here it has given me the confidence to take on this project.

Attachments

• boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 2,794
  • boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 2,794
  • Transom 1.jpg
    Transom 1.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 2,794
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 2,794
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 2,794
One of the prettiest transoms I've seen.

Nice looking boat. I assume it will make its way to Lake Varner.

Your trailer looks much too small for the boat.

Thanks for the comments and Oh yeah it will be making its way to varner, hard labor, and probally fort yargo. one of the concerns i had was the trailer. I hope to be adding about 3 or so feet to the tongue to be able to get the bunks to the transom.

That's a sweet tin man! How wide is she? The fourth seat is very nice, especially with the livewell built in. You can deck over two benches and still have an extra seat, or take it out, the possibilities are endless with that awesome platform.

Hey thanks for all the kind words. Ictalurus she is about 40 in wide on the floor and the gunnels it is 53 in. at its widest point. Its not a super wide boat but it will be more than enough for me. I plan on adding a deck all the way back to the first bench adding a platform seat and then some storage underneath.

I would add some to the rear of the trailer. I looks like there is only a foot or so behind the axle. The more you add to the tongue the more tongue weight you get. If you deck the front that will be a concern. Its an awsome tin.

Hey Nate didnt even think about the weight destribution on the trailer. Maybe replacing the bunk boards for some longer ones a couple of feet longer. Any body see any problems with doing this?

How much boat is behind the trailer now? If its not over three feet I would run the metal on the trailer all the way back. Then move your guides back to there. Its early and I cant remember if you said there was an outboard but if there is it needs to be riding on trailer. I run a transom saver on every boat Ive had. It keeps the motor weight on the trailer and keeps it from bouncing and swinging. If its over three feet add the rest to the tongue. Just my thoughts on it.

alright got around today and buttoned up the transom. Didn't take but a couple of hours. Glad we got some warmer weather so i could get that part of the build done. Ended up using alot of the original hardware on the transom and used new stainless steel bolts everywhere else, and threaded rivits with kep nuts on the sides so i wouldnt have hex head bolts on the sides going up where the angle braces bolted thru the hull. I set the trolling motors up just to make sure everything would jive. Should be going sometime this week to check for leaks.

Attachments

• downsized_0213011609.jpg
    downsized_0213011609.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,398
  • downsized_0213011626.jpg
    downsized_0213011626.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 2,398
  • downsized_0213011611.jpg
    downsized_0213011611.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 2,398

Latest posts