1966 Polarkraft 14' (Completed)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan20021982

Reaction score
Hello everyone new member here but have been looking at pics and reading for awhile before even registering. Now I have a project of my own.
1966 Polarkraft 14' and a Mariner 5hp
got em both for $500

Plan on doing some mods such as:
Front casting deck
extend the rear seat to go all the way across
remove middle seat
paint
carpet
new seats
and a bunch of other little things

Just want to say thanks to everyone on here for giving me so many ideas with your own projects, I can literally sit on here for hours reading build logs and looking at members boats.

o4AV6.jpg

wSpgh.jpg

h3FvA.jpg

Well got some stuff done the last few days

The motor was only $100 because it would run and then when warmed up would die, so I had it in a bucket of water and got it running and noticed it wasn't spitting any water so I decided to take off the lower unit and check the impeller and this is what I found. After putting it in properly it worked great.

DSC03494.jpg

Then I got working on the boat and removed the center seat and the rotten transom, sorry meant to take pics of inside of boat before flipping it over for sanding but forgot.

DSC03579.jpg

Then on to the trailer. Sanded down and removed all the unneeded parts and parts to be replaced and a fresh coat of paint. New rollers on order.

Before:

DSC03497.jpg

After:

DSC03577.jpg

DSC03578.jpg

Well the boat got sanded down and got all the inside that will be exposed primed and flipped over to prime the bottom tomorrow morning when there isnt any bugs around. Primed with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer and the paint should be here any day, using Parker Duck Boat Paint in Bay Gray.

Will post pics when all done primed

Great looking mod ryan. The impeller looked like a mess :LOL2: Glad that was an easy fix. The Parker Paint in Grey looks great, should add some life to the old hull.

Ictalurus said:
Great looking mod ryan. The impeller looked like a mess :LOL2: Glad that was an easy fix. The Parker Paint in Grey looks great, should add some life to the old hull.

Thanks Ictalurus, and ya this old hull needs something lol

Got some more stuff done and pics

Boat is all primed and ready for paint when it gets here

exP5B.jpg

r5oTQ.jpg

Transom area all cleaned up after removal of the old one

7FYQa.jpg

Got a nice size piece of aluminum diamond plate from my dad that he had laying around so decided to cut a piece to go over the new transom which will make it the proper thickness with 3/4 wood, the old one was 1" thick

PSTi8.jpg

Got a bunch of other stuff ordered and on its way like some lights, cupholders, nav lights, carpet, seats.

Kinda hard to explain this but I want to make the side have a ledge to mount stuff onto, I wont be using up any floor space to do it but rather just making the sides straight up and down. I will use wood to make an angle to meet up with the vertical rib and make the side and then use some aluminum flat to make brackets to hold the rib and the wood together, I made a pic to kinda show what I mean.

qRXJ5.png

Ryan

You may find that by creating sides, the amount of space in the boat will be cut drastically. Take some measurements and give it a good thought. I would lose over 1' of space if I did that on my boat. This is assuming the 90 degree sides run the length of your boat.

I wouldn't loose any floor space at all, the black in the pic is the boats ribs and the red is what I want to add and then the white will be little plates to hold them both together. I would rather have the sides straight up with a shelf at the top to mount stuff too since that isn't really floor space anyways.

Got the new transom all done today its 3/4 wood with aluminum diamond plate over it, all stainless hardware and 3M 5200 shot in all the holes before bolts.

qtPWt.jpg

C7HR5.jpg

Boat looks awesome so far! I have a 1985 model 14' PolarKraft. doesnt look like they change much at all

Thanks Dixie

Got the inside painted 2 coats and 1 coat on the outside will do a second coat and then its time to start installed and modding

OsAHo.jpg

Hey man, nice boat, I also have a 14ft Polarkraft. A quick piece of advice. With your impeller, you said it runs great now that you took it out and fixed it, but I would still consider buying a new one. I imagine it wasn't too hard to replace, mine only took about 15 minutes. BUT, you should be able to find one on Ebay for less than $20 I bet. There's no telling how long that thing was in there messed up like that, and it could have stressed the rubber to the point where flipping the fins to the other side could crack it in the future. No reason to take a chance like that with something that is so cheap and easy to fix.

dixie_boysles said:
is that Parker Bay Grey duck boat paint? if so, thats what I used on my Polarkraft

Yes it is and I'm liking it

SVOMike86 said:
Hey man, nice boat, I also have a 14ft Polarkraft. A quick piece of advice. With your impeller, you said it runs great now that you took it out and fixed it, but I would still consider buying a new one. I imagine it wasn't too hard to replace, mine only took about 15 minutes. BUT, you should be able to find one on Ebay for less than $20 I bet. There's no telling how long that thing was in there messed up like that, and it could have stressed the rubber to the point where flipping the fins to the other side could crack it in the future. No reason to take a chance like that with something that is so cheap and easy to fix.

I actually ordered a whole water pump kit so I dont have to worry about it, I was just trying to figure out the problem when I was talking about it. Thanks for the tip

Good deal Man. That transom looks awesome with that diamond plate on there. Wish mine was that easy to replace. My boat has aluminum trays that surround the gunwhale around the transom for storage. Would be a HUGE pain to take it all out to replace it, luckily it's not in too bad of shape. Can't wait to see how your's turns out.

SVOMike86 said:
Good deal Man. That transom looks awesome with that diamond plate on there. Wish mine was that easy to replace. My boat has aluminum trays that surround the gunwhale around the transom for storage. Would be a HUGE pain to take it all out to replace it, luckily it's not in too bad of shape. Can't wait to see how your's turns out.

Thanks man, I actually wasn't planning on using it but the old one was a full 1" think and I had some 3/4 so I needed to find something to fill it in and after looking through all I had i wound up at my dads and saw it and said hey you gonna use that, lol and he said no take it. So that was a cool deal. I also plan on using it in the back compartment to go on the floor and up the sides some.

Well I got some more done the past week, just waiting for stuff to come in now to get measurements and stuff before making deck. All the framing is pretty much done just a few little things left

Also I have a bunch more of the diamond-plate left from the transom and wanted to make some panels for the rear compartment and make another piece to wrap up and over the transom and polish it to protect the painted part from getting all marred up and to make it thicker but I need it bent, has anyone ever tried bending 1/4" thick without a press or brake? Can I just make a jig and heat it up to bend it? Have done that will steel but I just wanna make sure the aluminum wont want to break or something. Thanks

ZM62e.jpg

mcBI7.jpg

Got a few things in yesterday

i9PIy.jpg

Now its starting to look like something, most of the panels are just sitting there not if you see one not sitting square or level thats why.

sM35y.jpg

nXPEn.jpg

mdjc6.jpg

Latest posts