Blink's 1973 AMF Crestliner 12' V-Hull (Update 05-05-12)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink

Reaction score
My friend's dad gave me this boat and trailer for $1 each last year.
I have fished her a few times, but have realized that the layout is a bit uncomfortable, and all the wood is rotting.
Here are some before photos.
6803026086_3a29a0e87b_z.jpg

6949136473_8c07b58dd0_z.jpg

6803026444_afdc4dea57_z.jpg

I have removed the benches and platforms. The Transom is also coming out.
6949313679_1137924fde_z.jpg

I fish a lot of electric only lakes, so i will have 2 transom mount trolling motors on it, and i eventually want to put a bow mount foot controlled motor on the front.

I want to deck the entire boat, at the height the benches are currently.
I want to have storage underneath.
I want to have the front seat further forward.

I have an idea on how i want to frame it out. Rivet joist hangers 16" OC all the way down the boat and hang 2x6's in them, and just connect plywood to the top.
Has anyone tried something similar?

Using 2x6 is going to add a lot of weight, I think 2x4 would be more than strong enough to span a 4ft gap with 16's on center and carry the weight of a couple people easily. I did my boat mod a little diff than you plan on doing but I framed mine out with 1x4 and 1x2's to keep the weight down and my boat is as solid as a rock. I was a carpenter for years though. Looks like an inviting project you have there and you cannot beat the price you got it at :D

I have a bunch of 2x6 joist hangers left over from building my deck, and that is why i planned to use them.

I could probably trade them out at Lowes for 2x4's i will save the money on lumber anyway.

Great deal !
I like the green color. I bet it would look real sharp
with just new wood benches. Also, have space for storage underneath.
I would be a little concerned about decking the entire boat the height of
the benches, but if you can stand on the benches comfortably
go for it.
Just my 2 cents. Enjoy your project.

I am going to be decking it out 2" lower than the top of the current bench height.
I do stand on the bench and cast with no problems, but usually we sit to cast when two are in the boat.
I will be putting new seats in with risers, so we will be seated a bit higher than normal.
I think it will be fine though

I decided to use 2x4s. I started the framing this evening and got two lengths of beam installed. its going to be extremely sturdy.
It got dark on me so i didnt get any photos.

I got some work done on her this morning.
Removed the transom.
6952816423_0c283aea34_z.jpg

6952816607_5e0b61be8b_z.jpg

I decided that i will not deck out all the way. I have a section in the middle that i am not going to deck.
I got most of the framing done this morning though, and blocking for the rear seat.
6952818215_be828421b4_z.jpg

6952818481_ba0518a895_z.jpg

For the front, i am going to leave the angle clips as they are and shim up as necessary. I will add angles at the very front to attach to as well.

YES - not spar varnish or poly though...Spar Urethane.

Three coats at least and you will get the optimum life from your frame.

I decided to put a couple of vertical supports from joist to bottom of hull. Its really unnecessary, but i like to build things tougher than i think i have to.

I put the first coat of Spar Urethane on a few minutes ago.

I have attached a preliminary layout. What do yall think? The gray at the bow and the stern are the decks. The dark circles obviously seats. Blue are batteries, dotted lines are hatches.

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3,708
Nice job...I think you are going to be a little starboard heavy though. Try centering that third battery more - batteries are heavy and that combined with the trolling motor being starboard may put it off balance a lil much.

Wow...280 + three batteries + your weight, trolling motor, gas, main motor...2x4 construction...you must be pushing close to your weight limit?

no gas. dual trolling motors in the rear, bow mount in the front.
The framing and decking i am installing really doesnt weigh much more than what i took out.
I had the boat out a couple weeks ago before i tore the old stuff out, with my 280 friend and the 2 batteries in the back.
its still sits pretty high.

Bass Pro Shops up in Lawrenceville has a one day only sale on folding seats. Regular $49, today only $22.
New seats at $50+ were out of my budget, but i can do $22!!

I ended up getting two of the seats at basspro today. They are really nice for $20 a piece.
I ended up splurging on plug in mounts. they are going to be much better than the steel ones, and only like $16 more per mount.
i have a hole saw the right size for the inset already (from installing a dryer vent in my house)

6967706479_fbe0b198d3_z.jpg

Latest posts