My Sea Nymph 14 project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonLester

Reaction score
Ok so I have posted a few pics of my trailer and my boat...but now I feel like I have made enough progress that I can start a thread and not make everyone fall asleep.

So I picked up this SeaNymph 14 for $200. Got it off Craiglist. I had a trailer with an old Fiberglass boat that was ...well lets just say a long way from usable. My grandfather had got the boat originaly I believe for the motor or something. I ended up with it and Dad gave me a 9.8 Merc from 1972. So My goal was to make a HP limited lake boat for fishing....I went back and forth about going all out on the thing but decided to keep it simple for now. Basicaly make it look nice and function well.

So first off, I drug the old boat off the trailer and put my new tin on. Man that fiberglass boat is heavy...must be waterlogged or something. The trailer needed new lights etc so as the weather got better I decided to work on that. I wired them up temp and took it to work and set in on powerwashing ...whirebrushing and painting.

Then on to the boat...I decided I wanted to do a black stripe and then add some color (red...blue maybe...I don't know yet) I also roughed out a new transome piece out of plexiglass I found in a barn we burnt down at an farm we have. I figure if it cracks or something I will remake it with wood...if it holds ....then it will never rot.

Anyway I know most of you didn't read any of that so on to the pictures.

Trailer
Before
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

Primer
IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Paint
b04a7572.jpg

Still needs new tires and rims.

Motors
P2150002.jpg

P2150001.jpg

Missing a pic of the trolling motor.

The boat
P1070064.jpg

P1070065.jpg

P1070062.jpg

And some paint
9058b80f.jpg

ab46072b.jpg

And now it looks like this
4a4586b1.jpg

Thanks I thought so too...Makes it ok to spend a little more on making it mine I guess.

Here is a pick in a little more light back at work... I am hoping to get the bunks done today. Found out I needed a little more length on the trailer wiring. Glad I just wrapped up the excess and didn't cut it out.

Anyway the pic.

66e247e0.jpg

Any plans on decking or carpeting? They money does add up little by little when adding stuff, let me tell you. But it has been worth it, like you said, to make it my own.

For now I am just going to leave it pretty basic. I was thinking (after I found this site) about decking it all...but I decided I probably should at least get it in the water first. :LOL2: I like being able to hose it out too.

If I feel I can deck it safely. I was thinking maybe deck the front area at the seat level using the seats for supports. I was thinking I could probably get creative and fix it so I can remove it if I have more of the kids with me.

After I get the transom on (this evening hopefully) I am going to try to get out to the lake with it and see how it does and if anything leaks etc.

Then I plan to clean up the inside and paint/bedliner in it. Paint for sure. I need to reinstall the drain. I also have a few accesories to setup. and the list goes on...Eventually better seats.

I also have a cooler converted livewell in the works for it.

Jason

Yeah I did spray it. Its Rustoleum Metalalic paint or something like that. I put down the self etching primer and did this over top of it. I am thinking about adding a clear coat over top just to protect the metal flake some plus it looks a little uneven (the shine not the flakes) inside. Basicaly I am the only one that sees it I think. I have to get it out on a sunny day and see what it looks like. Other than redoing all the tape it shouldn't be to bad to spray it again if I need to.

I am pretty happy about how it turned out for just using a rattle can. I have been thinking of doing something like the G3 in this pic below, paint wise,...this is where I got the idea of black.

header.jpg

nice paint job. I think I will paint mine like that to match my black explorer.

Yeah the heat really worries me but I love the look...the boat doesn't look 60 years old anymore to me.

I'm gonna fish it some before I decide what to do inside on the floor...I'll make sure there are no leaks etc. Then maybe spray in liner or something...I have found I need a small added bench to run the motor a little easier. I roughed it out already.

What'd you use to primer and repaint your trailer? I have an old rusty white trailer that I want to paint black.

It's just rustoleum. Self etching primer and rustoleum gloss black. I really wanted a satin or flat but I didn't see any in the same brand. It probably wouldn't matter but I stayed with same brand paints thinking they design hen to work together.

I got it out to take it home. Mostly rigged. Have to take it all off tO weigh the trailer thoUgh.

dd4b4f35.jpg

49f67718.jpg

Well it floats.... I took it out this morning and tried fishing out of it. It started raining and drenched me but I had fun. If my phone was right (forgot the GPS) it will do around 20 mph. Plenty fast for me.

I got to try my craigslist trolling motor I picked up for $25. Its a couple year old Minn Kota Endura 30. I replaced all the seals and the brushes and bearings and it worked like a champ. Its not pictured in the pic btw.

...Speaking of that
boatcowan.jpg

An update. I took it out today and tried to fish again because it wasn't raining today. Unfortunatly I must have gotten some water in the spare gas tank (which I poured in the main tank before I left) and it wouldn't run right. So I used my newly rebuilt trolling motor. It worked great but it was so windy I was afraid to go far with just the one battery. I did get it running a few minutes but then it died. No fish either...but it beats working.