[UPDATE]Finally my tracker 1542 is done! well almost........

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
TimRich

Finally my tracker 1542 is done! well almost........

Post by TimRich »

Good luck on the repairs! Sorry to hear about the damage from the storm.
Current rig under construction- 14 foot flat bottom jon https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 65#p242665

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

got all of the destroyed parts of the boat fixed, went with thompson's water seal instead of the spar urathane, only 1 coat needed and after 3 days of leaving a decent size puddle of water on a test board, it didn't soak in so I'm feeling good about switching.

installed cup holders, repainted all of the interior compartments and installed the 2nd fish finder.

one major problem though, with the 15hp motor on the back and just me sitting back there, the water level is 4 inches below the top of the transom, I'm worried about this, that the boat could easily be swamped. I'm thinking about getting the beavertail float pods but not sure if the small pods will fit the boat and allow the motor to have full range of movement.

any suggestions?

I plan to get some pictures up this weekend after I take the boat out for a day trip.

bryanleavens

Post by bryanleavens »

Hey leekatt , I see your post is older but I'm new to this and saw your post . Was wondering is there is any stability issues ? Would like to put the same front deck on and also if the plywood is just level from one bench to the other ?

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

Bryan, no stability issues, low transom problem was due to some water logged foam.

Ply wood is level from mid bench to front bench, if you look at the framework picture you can see how I have it running from bench to bench.

Good luck on your build, I plan to update this thread soon

bryanleavens

Post by bryanleavens »

Thanks for the reply ,will be working on it this weekend ! Thanks again! Love some of your ideas !

bryanleavens

Post by bryanleavens »

Hey leelatt; hope you don't mind a couple of more questions ! What size motor do you use on yours ? The side boxes you made are an excellent idea and am planning on using them as well but only on one side to install a stereo , if I read correctly you said you use square tubing just to run in between benches correct ?

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

not at all.

I have an 80# minn kota terrova on the bow. It seems a bit overkill but most places near me are electric only and I figure I'm gonna upgrade to a larger boat eventually. it moves the boat pretty fast, I can get in and out of places easily.

On the transom I have a 55# minn kota endura c2 which I got for the boat before I did the decking. I keep it in the stern for use as a rudder to run straight, it also helps immensely for getting the boat onto the trailer since the terrova gets in the way of my trailer.

Just got my 1994 15hp rude working and taking it out saturday for the first time, I plan to take some pics saturday and then update this build and provide info on how well it rides and handles with the motor.

yup, 1 inch aluminum square tube, can get at home depot and lowes for about ~$19 per 8 foot long pieces, I used 8 of these (64 total feet) for my entire build. so about ~$152 total for just the frame work.

to attach the square tube to the benches I first took 1 inch "L" angle aluminum (again home depot and lowes have these in 8ft lengths for cheap) and riveted a piece (as wide as the benches) to the side of the bench. then laid the square tubing over these and then riveted them in place once I was happy with the layout.

typed by ben

Post by typed by ben »

im curious as to the stability of the small triangular casting deck sections on the gunwales- if you step on those do you feel a lot of flex?
Lowe 1648M | 25 hp Johnson electric start | Minnkota 40AT
always in progress.

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

Ben, which portion? are you talking about the corner braces on the transom of the boat?

typed by ben

Post by typed by ben »

up by the bow, you have four joists and to the extreme left and right an unsupported triangular area. i didnt know if that section flexed with the plywood. id like to do something almost identical to my boat but i think im gonna use .125 AL sheet. if i followed your pattern im thinking ill need to run some angle along the gunwale as well to support it- or run angled joists through that section.
always in progress.

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

ah gotcha. there's barely any flex if I stand on that portion but I think that's just because of the ply wood. I was going to run a bar along the gunwale when I designed it, however when I laid the plywood on it for a test fit and I walked around on it, that portion didn't flex so I left that part of the build out.

If I ever decide to replace the front decking with something thinner or even aluminum sheeting I will most likely run some angle or a square tube along the gunwale to support it.

I definitely love the side boxes, I think it is an awesome feature for the boat, I store every thing I need (emergency paddle, light pole, water tight box for phones/mp3/etc, scale, grippers and throw rope) all in the left side box, while the right side box houses all the electrical, spare fuses, electrical tape, spare wire and small tool kit. Plan to add a radio and speakers there as well. you can also cut out a hole in the bench and use it as a rod locker, that was my original idea but I like having everything else stored in there.

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

finally got it out on the water with the gas motor but kept having issues with it all day. didn't take any pictures as it was raining most of the day, will try to when I get her out again on june 1st

typed by ben

Post by typed by ben »

Leelatt » 16 May 2013, 14:26 wrote:ah gotcha. there's barely any flex if I stand on that portion but I think that's just because of the ply wood. I was going to run a bar along the gunwale when I designed it, however when I laid the plywood on it for a test fit and I walked around on it, that portion didn't flex so I left that part of the build out.

If I ever decide to replace the front decking with something thinner or even aluminum sheeting I will most likely run some angle or a square tube along the gunwale to support it.

I definitely love the side boxes, I think it is an awesome feature for the boat, I store every thing I need (emergency paddle, light pole, water tight box for phones/mp3/etc, scale, grippers and throw rope) all in the left side box, while the right side box houses all the electrical, spare fuses, electrical tape, spare wire and small tool kit. Plan to add a radio and speakers there as well. you can also cut out a hole in the bench and use it as a rod locker, that was my original idea but I like having everything else stored in there.
good calls there. still laying mine out. your project got my wheels turning though. seeing all these finished jobs makes me so sick... i gotta get mine done! :mrgreen:
always in progress.

Leelatt

Post by Leelatt »

Don't rush into it is the best advice I can give you. I spent 2 months planning every detail of my boat, must have measured everything a few dozen times just to be as sure as possible.

typed by ben

Post by typed by ben »

Leelatt » Yesterday, 22:13 wrote:Don't rush into it is the best advice I can give you. I spent 2 months planning every detail of my boat, must have measured everything a few dozen times just to be as sure as possible.
no doubt dude. i hate rework.
always in progress.