my first MOD. '96 16ft alumacraft

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

Men-

my dad and I have owned this boat for 15 years, never modified it. The day has come, and I am pumped. Standard 16 ft boat. rear bench, middle bench, front bench, 8 ribs, 10-15HP motor capacity.

I am toying with all the ways to mod it. Deck up front, remove center bench ( dont think I can without brace) etc. I have viewed a ton of all of these awesome jobs you all have done. Any master suggestions of what to do? If anyone wants to post plans and specs, pics etc that would be great.

goals are to make it extreamly functional for 2 fisherman, keep weight, $ down.

Thanks, Jim

Brine

Post by Brine »

Welcome aboard Jim.

If you haven't done so yet, check out all of the mods for inspiration. That should give you more pics/plans/specs than you'll need for your project.

When you get a chance, take some pics of what you're working with.

Good luck on your build.

jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

Thanks. I assume I can find all those mods under this forum?

See my attached Plans and Idea: I would LOVE feedback. I will post Pics asap.

Questions:

If I Deck out the entire front portion and put a Seat on top front deck, will this make the boat too instable as far a rocking around. Alt- put front seat in well of boat. The lake if fish does have decent traffic so I am wondering if this high front chair will creat alot more rocking.

Can I really remove the center bench? or with this type of boat it will become fragile?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IDAHOAUGER

Post by IDAHOAUGER »

Looking forward to seeing your progress!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Lowe L1436 Jon Boat Project
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=27828

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Post some pictures of your boat - that will give us a better idea of what you can do...

Also, post the following:
- Width of Floor (basically bottom of your benches)
- length of the top of the benches

you can most likely take out the middle bench and the stability shouldn't be a problem if you brace from side to side with storage in between

jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

See the attached pics. This is the As-Is setup.

The floor width at the bottom of the benches is 36 inches. The bench depth is 18 inches long ( for the back and middle bench) including the "lip" the across top bench lenth is 46ish inches i believe.

Debating if I can really make a full platform deck up front and or remove the middle bench?

All ideas welcome!

JC
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

This thing might be 14 feet ! I cant remember.

russ010

Post by russ010 »

That looks a lot like a 14' boat...

I wouldn't deck any higher than the middle benches. If you look at how I decked my 12' boat (in my signature), that's about all you really want to do to remain stable out on the water. I would cut out the top section of each bench, and take all the foam out of them and use them for storage - but I wouldn't take it out completely. You'll need the extra strength so that the sides don't cave in on you.

For the front, I would start decking level with the top of the bench, and use 19/32" exterior plywood for the lids and decking. Then just run that up to the front of the bow so that it is level with the top of the bench. There should also be enough room for some storage hatches right in front of the bench for things like batteries, but I would use it to store anchors, life jackets and other things like that. I would also put in a pin type pedestal seat and get a pedestal that is curved (I think I have pictures in my mod)... that will maximize the room you have on the front of your deck.

The middle bench, when cut out and the foam removed, can store a lot of plano boxes or tackle bags with all the baits you will need, as well as 1-2 batteries on each end for your front trolling motor. You can run the batteries in parallel and get a lot more run time while out on the water.

On the rear bench, you can cut it out like the middle, but I would only do it if you really needed the storage space. You can extend the rear deck forward towards the bow and get more storage. Then just deck the rear hatch area between the rear bench and the transom so that you have some extra standing room.

BUT... before you do any modding
- I would look at getting a bigger (longer) trailer before I did any mods. You don't want to add any additional weight with that much of the boat hanging off the trailer - otherwise you could end up with an inverted V for a boat... You can pick up a trailer pretty cheap off craigslist, or you can check with places like Harbor Freight or Northern Tool. You can take their trailers and extend the tongue on them.

Brine

Post by Brine »

X2 with what Russ said.

The trailer picture jumped out at me.

Here is the link to the mods on the site: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... =21&t=3156

jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

haha. Yall like my trailer? Just borrowed to bring home. DEF getting something more substantail soon!

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Forgot I took my 1236 mod out of my signature... but here it is - kinda shows how I did the front decking, but you have more room on yours to add some storage

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4493

jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

Russ010-

Thanks- So you are saying run the deck from the middle bench to the front bench on a level plane? below the outter rim of the boat? so its below top deck a couple inches etc. like shown in my plan below.

You said- I would cut out the top section of each bench, and take all the foam out of them and use them for storage - but I wouldn't take it out completely.

How much "foam" can be taken out to remain stable? like one side? or the middle part ?like 2 square feet ?

In you guys opinion, when running on open semi rough water will the front passenger be able to sit on the upper deck chair and be stable? or will this simple be used with fishing/trolling etc?

Also i couldnt find your 12" mod in your signature. please provide link.

Thank you

jmcaswell

Post by jmcaswell »

plan

russ010

Post by russ010 »

Here's my old 1236 mod -
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4493

Oh for the foam... I meant take all of the foam out, but I wouldn't take the WHOLE BENCH out completely. The foam is only good for you if you flip the boat over, doesn't help you at all with it being stable while upright in the water.

As far as your plan that you posted - I would start the front deck level with the top of the piece of wood that you put over the middle bench used for a lid, then run that parallel with the boat up towards the bow. You won't be level with the front seat on the bow, you'll be a few inches below the top of that bench. You need to keep your center of gravity low so that you can stand around up front while fishing.

As far as someone sitting on that seat when you're going down the lake - I would have them move towards the back... it will be easier for you to get up on plane. If you leave them up there, they will be added weight slowing you down, plus they will probably get a little wet from the flat bottom boat!

HOUSE

Post by HOUSE »

I love that picture of the trailer :) Good luck with the mod .
With your benches having such large surface area, you might be able to get by with just 1/4" plywood instead of 1/2inch to save some weight. Keep us posted as you go with pics.