My Basket Case ( 12' V Hull Restoration/ Conversion)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Ya I had a 15hp johnson, and it ran like 32mph by myself wide open throttle, which is fast for a little boat like this! It was crazy I agree, but I was very young like 15-16 yrs old, and not the smartest person in the world lol, as we all were at that age! What are you gonna do with yours flats fish?
As always tight lines, cold beer, & Go Gators!

my build https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=25185

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Yes, flats mainly from Mosquito Lagoon down to Fort Pierce on the east coast. Lived in Ft. Pierce for about 15 yrs and waded a lot of area's , so I now the spots both shallow and deep. Besides it's the best Snook fishing on the East coast and maybe the best all species fishing on the intacoastal waterway. I will probably drop it in on the local lakes for some Bass and Speck action once in a while also. If I ever get it done. Have to find another place to live, turned in my notice here where I've lived for last 7 yrs.

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Ah yes the joys of moving, god I dread having to move from my place like six months from now! I used to live in Vero before moving to gainesville for college, so I know those waters really well.

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Got a friend who lives in Vero; I know it well. Got the outside of the boat all down to bare metal. Man it took me a while to figer out what worked best on 30 years of paint I used a wire wheel ( best around the rivets, Orbital sander, (ok and nice finish for painting), Aircraft stripper, it was OK , this boat just add about 4 different layers of paint to it, Finally put a sanding pad on my 41/2 inch grinder with 50 grit paper and made short work of it; Just have to have a light touch and keep it moving. On my Broken Braces on the inside I bought 2, 1 foot sections of 2 1/4, 1/8 inch thick channel and slid it up under and around the 2" braces and bolted it through the hull with stainless steel truss head bolts / nylon lock washers and 5200. Stronger than than factory.

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Did a little more since i took these pics. Completed stripping outside down to metal and coated with 2 coats of Gluvit.

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Thought the sanding would never end, Sealed Outside bottom with 2 coats Gulvit and primed; Also covered all the holes along the top with fiberglass tape reinforced Marine Tex (both white and grey).

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Lookin good there brother, =D> =D> =D> =D> what's next?

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Sand couple spots, cut off transom brace, clean up be hind it and install a stainless steel drain plug, reseal transom with 5200; build and install new transom brace lower and upper; Cut off old bench seat brackets; wash it down; 2 coats Gluvit inside and top of outside. Take it to the lake and see if she leaks. If she doesn't I will start installing aluminum bracing for the floor ( 1.25" square tubing ). Picked up a 6" cut off saw at Harbor Freight for 40 bucks ( saves me from having to rent one and rushing to use it and get it back and all that BS ). Not sure of what all I'm going to do to it, but I'm going to keep it pretty basic b/c I don't think the max load on this boat is to high and I'm 250 lbs, another 50 for the motor, then there is gas tank trolling motor battery ( will go up front ) bait/bait well ( not doing a fish live well ) and the girl friend. will be laying the tubing directly on the stringers start at the second one from the rear and runing them parallel atop of them to about where the second bend crease is attaching with 1/4 x 1/2 aluminum rivets as It gets toward the Front stringer it will be 4" to 6" ( or maybe more ) off the center I' be running A 1 1/2 channel down the inside of the keel line riveted to each stringer and extending past the last one to place my center supports in to and support front decking/ battery, anchor locker.

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Nice I had this very boat with a 15hp that I upped to an 18hp Johnson in high school, she ran around 28-32mph with me alone and 25-28 with someone in the boat. Not too shabby for a 12ft boat. Word to the wise whatever motor you put on it, dolphin fins helped it plane out big time.

canadian omc

Post by canadian omc »

Looking good keep up the good work

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Thanks guys. The goal is to at least get it painted before I have to move the 1st of Feb, because it will be spending it's time outside for a while.

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Comin along man, any new pics? Good luck with the move, I know it's gonna kill ya to leave the old Indian River behind!

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Local move just apartment has gotten so expensive that I can rent a house cheaper, plus have a grill. Man I miss a BBQ grill (7yrs), plus work on the boat and car in my driveway. No new pictures been going slow; Will Marine Tex transom holes today and then will have to work for next 3; have Sun and mon off will sand the Tex and hopefully get a coat of Gluvit on the inside. Been pricing out aluminum for floor; going to run 140 to 160 bucks and that's without any front decking or rear bench or the wood, carpet fasteners, glue and every other damn thing! Oh well, knew I could get another boat inbetter condition cheaper before I started! LOL #-o

BoatDawg4120

Post by BoatDawg4120 »

I am also in the Orlando area. I have a boat just like that. I have a question tho. Does the point where the bow V -guard or plate meets the center keel have to be sealed where they meet or did you do that to try and keep water out of there because of other leaks? The one i have is not sealed there and looks to be made that way by the manufacturer. The outer ones on either side of the center keel are also not sealed in the rear.
Projects:
1986 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine FM-161 rebuild and mod.
86 Johnson 30hp Rebuild
71 Mercury Thunderbolt 500 50hp rebuild
72 Mercury Thunderbolt 500 50hp rebuild
1970's Johnson and Evinrude 9.5hp's both running.

My build:https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35599

SDHawgs

Post by SDHawgs »

Nice job so far. Sanding and cleaning is always the funnest part. :LOL2: Just get those welds done and then you will be able to start on the fun parts! Good luck!
Pro Staffer for the Hardwater Hellions.
https://hardwaterhellions.blogspot.com/