My Basket Case ( 12' V Hull Restoration/ Conversion)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Living with my sister till the 4th of March. Did get the boat Gluvited on the inside and primed. It's at Cousins gettng the trailor worked on. He extended the tungue 3 ft, welded a couple L risers in the back and mounted the lights on them so thieir not in the water and more visable on the road, also redid the bunks and welded my Harbor fraught jack to the front and a post,bow stop and winch. One of the bearings was shot and he's replacing that and putting on bearing buddies.
Once I get moved I will start work on the floor framing, man I have been racking my brain about it, but I guess I'll just have to get some aluminium channel, and tubing and dive in (slowly). Think I'm just going to pait it Grey.

Not sure what your question is about my bow to keel plating. I did a fiberglass covering and gluited over it because it had a leak in the bow. I found the leak when I ground down the inside and it's covered with 5200 and afew coats of Gluvit. I believe I'm also going to spray the bottom of the inside with truck bed liner up to the side rivet line and then paint over that after I get the floor framing in. No welding was done on this boat. all repairs are with stainless bolts and aluminium channel/plating.

BoatDawg4120

Post by BoatDawg4120 »

On the bottom. Right where the bow nose guard meets the bottom of the boat there is a raided rail there that runs from front to back and on mine i also have one on each side of the center one. In one of you pics it looks like you sealed it up. But if you had a leak that would explain why you sealed it up. I was only asking because mine are not sealed off on the front and back of the rail so water actually could run through it and I didnt know if that was supposed to be that way.

Mine had a cut in the bow nose guard where someone had taken it out of the back of a truck and just let it slam down on the concrete. Nothing a little JB Stik couldnt fix. I also painted over the Nose guard with bed liner just for that added bit of protection against further damage.
Projects:
1986 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine FM-161 rebuild and mod.
86 Johnson 30hp Rebuild
71 Mercury Thunderbolt 500 50hp rebuild
72 Mercury Thunderbolt 500 50hp rebuild
1970's Johnson and Evinrude 9.5hp's both running.

My build:https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35599

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Ya, I was initally going to fiberglass mesh all the seams with G Fex but then only did the bow and a couple areas I knew were leaking. The start of those keel runner things were covered to start with because I was going to double up on the front of them. Don'task mewhy, I have no idea. My bow had a leak so I double meshed the nose of the boat with mesh and G Flex ( works really good could disk sand it down like bondo and mesh; It woudserve as a base in which th use fiberglass if one ever needed to.) Flound the leak when stripped all the paintand caulk from the inside. There was a inch long by 1/8 inch slit in the bow bottom, there was metel under it, but evedently it was still leaking; so Ipainted it wit 5200 let it sett a couple days the put 3 coats of Gluvit over that. I am still going to spray the bottom inside with bed liner. May be over kill, but this boat will see it's fair share of salt water.

BoatDawg4120

Post by BoatDawg4120 »

I figured it was sealed due to it leaking. Mine had a cut about 4 inches long about 6 inches up from where the bow nose gaurd meets the keel runner on the bottom and i used some JB Stik on it which took care of the leak. I did also remove the old caulk from the inside and resealed it with 5200. I plan on sprying bed liner over that as well but used up the last can i had spraying my new transom board before i installed it. What size motor are you planning on putting on? I have almost completely rebuilt my Grandpa's 1955 Evinrude 7.5 Fleetwin Aquasonic and with just me on the boat i have to sit on the middle bench and use my foot to hold the tiller in order for it to completely plane off. Im hoping the addition of trim tabs and a front deck might help that situation. Its a strong little motor and the compression is well within dealer specs for that motor just doesnt want to push over the hump so to say when tryin to plane off. Once i got it planed off sitting on the middle bench it was doing 12.3 mph and i have one of those walk/jogging satelite tracker apps on my phone to prove it.
Projects:
86 Johnson 30hp Rebuild

BoatDawg4120

Post by BoatDawg4120 »

Oh and have you seen the Clermont Chain's Ramps? I know you are moving out here and are somewhat close but didnt know if you have ever been to any of the ramps here. If not i can show you where they are. The one on the south side of Lake Minneola is a fairly new ramp but Ive only just recently used it (starting 2 weeks ago actually) and to be honest its a nice ramp but the idiots who designed it didnt leave anywhere for you to tie a boat off when you launch or load. there two cleats at the end of the dock but the water being down so low you cant really tie to them. I just walk my boat off and pull it about 15ft to the side and beach it when im alone so i can park the truck. the other ramp is off Hull Rd and its not in very good condition. Our water levels here in Lake county are the highest they have been in years thanks to last summers rains and its still about 3ft low from the average lake level. So with the water having gotten that low the ramp at Hull rd got so dry you actually had to back your vehicle onto dried up canal bottom to get the trailer deep enough to float a boat and then you couldnt get out of the canal on either end to get into the lakes cus there were spots on the canal that were dry completely from shore to shore.
Projects:
86 Johnson 30hp Rebuild

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

No, haven't been to any of the ramps or any of the lakes for that matter..dried up connection canals sure sucks though. Plan on using mine in the intra-coatalal mostly; will prob do a little fresh water fishing though. Boat came with a 15 Hp Sea Horse ( I think) anyway it was made by Chysler 1975 from what I can tell: ran when I bought it, but I haven't run it since December with the moving and all. In storage right now. Moving into my place March 4, at sisters in Winter Haven now.

Gators5220

Post by Gators5220 »

Where are some pics of the work you had done man? I'm thinking of lengthening the trailer tongue on mine too by 3' or so, mostly to make it so my truck doesn't have to be in the lake or river to launch my boat.
As always tight lines, cold beer, & Go Gators!

my build https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=25185

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

I asked my cousin to send them to me on FB has'nt happened yet.

BoatDawg4120

Post by BoatDawg4120 »

Well the connection canals are mostly back up to a level they can be traveled thru even on your heavier ski and pleasure boats now. The water level is higher now than it was last time i used the Hull rd ramp and we still made it out to the lakes on a ski boat then. We hit bottom once and i was on the bow and it thru me into the canal which was about knee deep where i went in lol but managed to keep my beer in my hand so it was all ok. haha.
Projects:
86 Johnson 30hp Rebuild

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

In my place now, boxes still need unpacking and I won't even talk about the crap in the garage. Drove out to Sanford today to ACME Building Sulpply and bought a mess of aluminium to frame the floor; cost me 80 bucks which is 1/2 of what the retail aluminium place in Orlando wanted for smaller stock; then drove to Oveito to visit my boat and and cousin. picked up a couple wheel bearings and Bearing Buddys from Tractor supply and installed one new bearing (only one was bad, will get to other one later) and the buddies. Sill need to mount bunks and rollers and rewire the lights on the trailer, but at least I did something. Drove 50 miles back home.........without my boat and trailer :(

BoatDawg4120

Post by BoatDawg4120 »

Ouch. Sanford and Oviedo are a good distance from the clermont area. That really sucks. Hopefully you can get it moved a little closer to where you are staying.
Projects:
86 Johnson 30hp Rebuild

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

Got the boat in the garage: Pulled the rope and the motor started on the stand so I guess life is good! :D Working 6 of next 8 nights and Sunday is Easter and I'm having dinner with girlfriends family. Should be back at it again next Saturday if the girlfriend will let me, if not then Monday [-o< . Pictures to follow (need to get more batteries.) BoatDawg you need to stop by dude.

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

well here are some quick pics of it in it's new garage. That etching primer said gray, but it sure looks green to me. Piece of aluminum on top is center support for floor bracing. You can see the elevated light post my cousin pick up out at the dump; its off a weight lifting machine.

Top of Transom needs some stiffening up.

Winch my cousin found at the dump and welded up a post for me.
Another view

Side view of boat and trailor at this point. He extended the trailor a little over 3 feet.

Had a couple cans of Rust-Oleum Truck bedliner spray; guess I'll need a few more.

Well that's it for now; I would guess I'm about half way through this mod.

simbelle

Post by simbelle »

ok, so I'm finally starting the floor framing ( I have been wondering how I was going to do it since I started. Here's what Ive done:

1) leveled the keel
2) riveted on center/keel floor bracing support
3) attached 1st and last stringer

The rear stringer is 43", the front stringer is 26": there is 6" between them. Does 26 " sound right? I'm going to step up the deck enough for battery storage from the front stringer to about 2' from the bow then step it up again for anchor locker and TM platform, bow light and cleats. Anyway just wanted some one to verify I an at least starting the floor framing right.

Stringer may not be the correct word,but its mthe only one that comes to mind besides floor joist.

smackdaddy53

Post by smackdaddy53 »

Stringer is what I call it too!
First of all, did you level the top edge of the gunnel? It looks like your front stringer is lower than the line that runs down both sides of your boat parallel to the gunnel? I would level the sides (gunnels) first, then level the stringers ftom that. Someone else correct me if I am wrong but dont you guys think the top of the boat should be level, not the keel? It looks like the front should be as high as the aluminum brace in the last pic...
~Mac~