new to tins :)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph84

Reaction score
Hi all,

Its my first time posting on here. but have been looking over the site for some time now.

So i have decided to take the plunge so to speak.
i recently picked up 2 new boats. both for free!!! cant beat free!!! :)

my brother in law was actualy going to scrap one and the other he was using on the odd occasion but wasnt looking to keep up on the maintenance and i was in need.... so i went from 0 boats to now 2 boats!

the nicer of the them is an 1852 sea ark with the side console its in perfect shape and about 6 years on it. its total bare bones so i will be woking on it at a later date as its going to be my main boat i want to put more time in to it and probably won't start it till during the summer months.

how ever the the second boat is a 1652 its a lil beat up its going to need a fair bit more work. its been sitting up side down for a few years till now. so the inside is free and clean....for the most part and from what i can tell there are a few rivets that are going to need some work along with a few possible cracks... :( :? :shock: but thats the fun in doing this i suppose.

this is it be for getting it flipped over....
image1.jpeg
(cell phone photo sorry for the bad quality)
do you thing it sitting there like that for a long time would help keep things ok ish in there? i would like to think so...

well i will be getting them both trailered up.... and home by Wednesday afternoon. i will be totally gutting this one and bringing her back to life again. ill post photos as i go.

Just want to say thank you in advance for the help and for all of the current posts i have been reading over for many many hours. the information one can find on here is to no end. and such help!!! huge thank you.

joel.

believe I would get the 1852 ready to fish in a "barebones" manner so I could fish and work on the smaller boat as time and $$ came around.

Looks promising. Looking at the snow, looks like you have plenty of time to get'er done. Plan well and go with your gut. I completed mine last winter. Good luck. Look forward to the updates.

So got the trailer sorted out and road worthy as of monday. went over and picked up my project on tuesday... and here she is!

IMG_0167.JPG (night time cell phone photo. sorry)

so i put her out back for the night. more to come. just got to resize other photos to up load....

so i got her in to the garage . and started working her over....

started on the rear end and made my way to the bow.

here are a series of photos step by step....

transomend.jpg

Bowend.jpg

sideconsole.jpg

transom.jpg

some thinngs beel living in here.jpg

sidefoamout.jpg

deakfoamout.jpg

this part of the front deck had ply under it that was rotten. it gave me a lil extra roomabour 20" and didnt loose much stability of the boat.

frontdeck.jpg

removingonesection.jpg

frontdeck.jpg

frontdeckshort.jpg

front deck clean.jpg

aftera quickshopvac.jpg

and thats where im at!!

so far about 7 hours in to it. most of it done in the first night.

ill be doing some more tonight....

wish me luck!!!

also having difficulty trying to find out who makes this boat.

i have found the serial.... but not sure how to find out the ake /modle of boat from that?

any one have any ideas?

thanks..

Joel.

If you post the serial # the measurements (Length and the widest width) I and or others may be able to help. The number may be cross referenced to a "MIC" number the coast guard has established for boat manufactures. If it is too old other searches may be required.

not sure about the widest point ( i can get that tonight) but its 16'.

the serial is #FMC41822M78C

it was last registered in '96 but after looking hard i cant find a boat branding. its not important. but would be nice to know.

many thanks for any help on that.

cheers.

Joel.

Your number = FMC41822M78C this is the "MIC"

FMC = Fisher – 201 Starcraft Drive, box 517 – Topeka, IN

MIC: FMC Status: Inactive
Company: FISHER Company Official: DAVID FREY
Parent Company: TRACKER MARINE Parent MIC: BUJ
Address: 201 STARCRAFT DRIVE, BOX 517 City: TOPEKA
State: IN Zip: 46751
Fax: In Business: Thursday, March 16, 1978
Out of Business: Monday, May 06, 1996 Date Modified: Tuesday, May 06, 1997
Type: Outboards, Open Motorboats, Jon Boats
Additional Address:
Comments: BUILDING JON, FLAT-BOTTOM & SEMI-V BASS (PRIMARILY WELDED) AND PONTOONS AT THIS LOCATION. NORTHWOOD WAS PRIVATE LABEL MFG 1991-1993. SEE (STR) (BMD) & (BFF). LETTER FROM BRUNSWICK DATED MAY 20, 1996. BRUNSWICK HAS CEASED PRODUCTION AT THIS PLANT AS OF MAY 6, 1996. PLANT SOLD TO TRACKER MARINE (BUJ). SEE ALSO (BFF). TRACKER PRODUCES FISHER & SPECTRUM; STARCRAFT MARINE LLC PRODUCES STARCRAFT & MONARK.

41822= Hull Serial Number

M78C = 1978 Oct.

Looks like you have a 1978 Fisher boat. Try contacting Tracker Marine to see if they have the records and can tell you what 41822 means as far as model.

ok well i started looking over the transom last night.... as well im going to have to fix what is there. some serious pitting and some clearly visible holes!

heres where we stand with it now!

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0215.jpg

the motor mounts had warn right through the aluminum gonna have to cut that out and reinforce that section.
IMG_0216.jpg

as you can see a slight bend to it... have to fix that.
IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

wish me luck on my first transom fix/build!

cheers

Not sure if you are aware but pressure treated lumber is not compatible with aluminum. Something in the chemicals that are used in the treatment will pit and attack the exposed aluminum. I only found this out as I navigated this site. I believe the census is to use exterior grade plywood and treat it with "Spar" wood sealant. I would hate to see you go through all the effort to end up with a transom that has similar issues that you are currently dealing with. Good Luck on that repair.

Scott Mac said:
Not sure if you are aware but pressure treated lumber is not compatible with aluminum. Something in the chemicals that are used in the treatment will pit and attack the exposed aluminum. I only found this out as I navigated this site. I believe the census is to use exterior grade plywood and treat it with "Spar" wood sealant. I would hate to see you go through all the effort to end up with a transom that has similar issues that you are currently dealing with. Good Luck on that repair.

X2! ^^^^^^
Not to use pressure treated wood is posted all through this site.

yeah many thanks for the heads up guys. had seen this in multiple areas of different topics.

so have been doing a lot of research on the transom ideas, not sure if I'm going to go with wood again ( sealed this time - as you will see from some of the new photos from todays progress it was regular PT ply in there - that along with gas i think is what made the most of the damage.) i have seen some lovely work with aluminum stock. but its early days yet.

i did get all the transom out today!! cleaned the c*#p out of it! inside and out and now know where the problem areas are.

after i got all that out. i flipped it and made start removing the old rivets. some of them where just to far gone to save....

so far I'm up to 73 that i have taken out.

next post will be of the series of photos from the day......

cheers.

so a quick update....

managed to find a loacal shop thats willing to fab the transom aluminum cover for me for cheep! with a little bit heavier gage. so that will be nice.

i got out all the rivets and have prepped ready for new rivets that will be here on friday!

IMG_0262.jpg

i also cleand up the transom supports.
from this....
IMG_0263.jpg

to this...
IMG_0265.jpg

picked up a new compressor, and some tools that will help with this project. all new so i will do reviews on them once i have started the work ( for any one that might have interest - im new to this so its all a learning curve i would like to think that me posting this will help others out at some point)

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0269.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg

i picked up a new winch for the trailer also... the old one had seen better days.
IMG_0272.jpg

i also picked up some aluminum stock and made/copied these side transom supports. the old ones where very brittle!
i will mark and drill them as i put the transom back in...

IMG_0274.jpg

lastly i got 2 pre-cut 4'x2'x1/2" high grade exterior sheets of ply and lamed them together.
IMG_0275.jpg
had the heat on it for a short time as the cold here in NY slows things.... its now sitting in the basement drying out...

got this weekend off... but were expected to get a ft of snow! so will probably slow me down a little! but I'm sure ill get some things done!

cheers.

Joel.

The basic structure of your boat is almost identical to mine even though yours is a larger model. One structural difference I noticed is that yours had double knee braces on the transom. I see your transom looks to be in the same shape mine was. Enough holes to make you think that Bonnie and Clyde had their shootout in a boat instead of a car. Looking good so far, keep up the good work.

cheers guys.... I've been doing a few hours on it here and there.... 2 very late nights on it! 8) its my first boat since moving to the USA. saying that its my first real boat over 8ft i had dingy once! so I'm taking it all in from the site. and have to say there are some very talented individuals on here! one day at a time on it i guess! and ill see where it ends up!

@ bigwave. i gave it a little heat with the torch while i had it in the vice and bent it round. the other brackets where shot... so had to make up some new ones. the alum was solid flat stock so its not like i was reworking a bend. and i think with the little extra heat it helped it go round a bit easier actually gave it a better bent Imo! hahah!

@ Jmichael. yeah it is pretty beat! and now come to think of it!!! yeah it looks like some one had a few rounds coming at them!!!
not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet! i think I'm gonna size up the holes that i can and rivet them with the larger rivets i have on there way and weld a plate on to the back of the transom12" x 18" right over the section that has the badly pitted holes.

i dont see any other option with it at the mo!

So i got a steel on the new air compressor! but i didn't take in to account how my 2 car garage/ now shop was set up! the breaker pops under load from the drawing current when its starting ....

so i had a project with in a project!!!! hahaha

i have now got a 100A sub panel . 3 circuits independent. lights . outlets and power equipment. no more popping. hahah!

so after that... i didn't have much time to put in to the boat. but I'm off for the next 3 days.... and my rivets arrive tomorrow!!!!

i did get a sand and second coat of poly on the transom ply tho! its building up quickly! ill get it sanded again to morrow and the 3rd coat! ill also be flipping the boat also and getting it ready for the rivets!

cheers.

Joel.

Latest posts