Pweisbrod's 79 18' mr pike DUCK conversion/rebuild

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
Pweisbrod

Big Red: MN diver hunting build

Post by Pweisbrod »

Got all the seat mounts out, all carpet off of main deck and sides, and almost have the side console out. I really need to take some pics, I'd be working on it today but its snowing!

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Took some pictures today. Got the cable pulled out of the motor so I could pull the console out (what a job, yowza.) there Is now nothing stopping me from replacing the main floor. I have a sinking feeling I need to pull the transom cap and take a look inside.... Anyway took some pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Got some time after work to fart around with the livewell lids.

Removing some carpeting.

Marked the pieces on where they go. The board Lund used is really weird. Strong, but it's pitting like particle board.

All done. not much accomplished, but I'm enjoying picking away at the project.

And a friendly remind from PB blaster: If you want to remove Lund livewell lid carpeting, remember to get your tetanus shot. :mrgreen:

walleyejoe

Post by walleyejoe »

Keep plugin away looks like a great project. I luv those old lund boat
https://
14 ft Alumacraft project www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28938

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Where is the bet place to buy cheaper carpeting? I need something khaki or grey.

Is there a best way to replace the floor? It looks like Lund used two extra long sheets, it is split down the middle the "long" way of the boat. That way the ply is supported on all ribs. I will have to Try and find some ply Long enough.

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Well it's official, the old turd on the back of big red is here to stay. Picked up one of these today...

Any suggestions as far as tuneups go?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Got some time to work on the boat while listening to the songs I'll be drumming for at church today, took off all te hardware that was on top of the carpet on the driver side of the boat, and pulled the transom end cap. I will be pulling the entire transom cap to get a look once I get my hoist from the shop for the 300lb pig on the back.

Eddie Spaghetti

Post by Eddie Spaghetti »

Wow, I have not been "lurking Tin boats for a while". But, imagine my surprise when I ran into Pweisbrod's conversion. I may have the same boat 79 Lund Mr Pike, 16.5 footer. I'm still in the conversion process myself. Mine's taken a while though. LOL. I purchased mine for a fishing boat. Hopefully, I'll get a thread up on-line one of these days. I didn't want to hijack your thread, just a before and after shot as a little incentive. I purchased my carpet from Gary's Upholstery in Tampa, and had it shipped to PA. I used Deko dots on the main deck, and carpet on the casting deck. Marine grade ply for the flooring (one short piece running length wise under the splashwell, and two full strips for the main deck). A heat gun is your friend when it comes to removing carpet glue.

As purchased

Close, but not quite finished

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Wow! Thanks for the reply, that's great! I'm hoping to have mine done in April so I'm ready for fishing season, but mine will be geared towards shooting diver ducks on big water with fishing as a secondary. Heat gun is a great idea I had never even thought of! Hope to hear more from you about that boat!

Pweisbrod

Big Red: 18' mr pike MN diver hunting build

Post by Pweisbrod »

Picked up a few things....

Also got the last bit of carpet off the railing, still have two small sections on the front deck to attend to. Will get pics when I get to work on it next.

Eddie Spaghetti

Sweet, a shopping trip. Just wait until you start stocking up on stainless hardware. Don't be like me and end up with years worth of SS fasteners. LOL

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Ha! I sure hope not to. Stainless is abhorently expensive, but it's unfortunatley what tin boats need! Hoping to get away with as few new fasteners as possible, but well see. Plan is to remove motor this weekend to get a solid look at the transom, and then start pulling up the floor and underlying foam

Scott Mac

Post by Scott Mac »

WOW! That is an awsome rig, looks great. Thanks for sharing...keep it goin'.
Golf is for those who can't fish.

My 1963 Aerocraft semi-v build
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=28345

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Scott Mac wrote:WOW! That is an awsome rig, looks great. Thanks for sharing...keep it goin'.

Thanks! Hopefully it will turn out nicely.

Eddie Spaghetti

Pweisbrod wrote:Ha! I sure hope not to. Stainless is abhorently expensive, but it's unfortunatley what tin boats need! Hoping to get away with as few new fasteners as possible, but well see. Plan is to remove motor this weekend to get a solid look at the transom, and then start pulling up the floor and underlying foam
Fastenal or McMaster-Carr are your friend! :lol: Is your foam bad? Even though my floor was crap, the foam seemed to be in decent shape, so I left it. Where is all the water coming from that ruined the foam? So, what kind of plywood you going to use? Lots of different opinions, so I say to each his own. I went with the marine grade (cha ching), and a couple coats of Boaters Choice Fiberglass Resin. If you go with the resin, FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I kind of lack in that area :LOL2:, and I learned real quick. One thing I struggled with was finding a good screw to attach the flooring to the stringers. I ended up (under the carpet) using a "coated" screw that they use when building aluminum utility trailers. We'll see how well they hold up. Where I put the Deko dots, I face screwed, and used a SS self-tapper, and a finish washer. Gotta be careful, those stainless heads rip right off! Did you find any carpet yet? Don't skimp on that or the glue. I used Henry 663. I think I got some from Ace Hardware. Get the trowel they call out as well - you get good coverage, and not a lot of "slop". I don't know if you've seen this - https://www.lundboats.com/pdfs/old-catalogs/1979.pdf. If you are not on the cover, you are on page 3 for sure. Just pretty cool to see how these looked back in the day.