Pweisbrod's 79 18' mr pike DUCK conversion/rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pweisbrod

Reaction score
Picking this up Saturday:

100_2672_zpsca398a15.jpg

100_2668_zps428d5c41.jpg

100_2671_zps19e11cc4.jpg

18' mr pike , 1984 I believe. The motor is roughly the same vintage but the owner isn't sure. The motor has a new water pump and impeller this last fall, and the guy will be taking it out of barn storage to sell it to me. Is there anything I should check or look at before buying? This is my first remote steer boat.

Turning it into a big water duck hunting rig on a budget, any suggestions for decoy storage or hard sided blinds are welcome!

My list for so far:

1. Remove giant casting deck in rear, make something way smaller for gas and battery storage
2. Remove carpet and possibly floor if flor is bad
3. Change paint scheme to something a little more duck "friendly"
4. Remove trolling motor
5. Lengthen trailer or get a different one
6. Add in lighting and storage on the cheap
7. Build the duck blind with a spot for the heater

Anything you can think of let me know!

Paul

I would consider making the rear deck removable. I like my space when I am duck hunting and it would be nice to be able to pull out the deck during duck season. A friend of mine back in high school's dad had one just like that. Very nice boats, though I prefer flat bottom or modified v's. That thing should be great on diver hunts up there. Where are you at in the big 'Sota? I have a friend in Big Lake and then his parents live closer to St. Paul. The friend keeps trying to get me to come up and catch some walleyes.....I say any state that has a limit on catfish just isn't right! Ha ha
Chris

Thanks for the reply! Im from stillwater mn. i frequent lake of the woods for duck hunting and walleye Fishing though.

I usually fish walleye or crappie so the rear deck would just get in the way. Good idea though, maybe I can make a removable gun box. I plan on incorporating the decoy storage into the blind so it isn't the way for trolling in summer.

Is there anything I should be wary of when inspecting this boat in particular?

Paul

Pweisbrod said:
Picking this up Saturday:
Nice find love those old lunds
100_2672_zpsca398a15.jpg

100_2668_zps428d5c41.jpg

100_2671_zps19e11cc4.jpg

18' mr pike , 1984 I believe. The motor is roughly the same vintage but the owner isn't sure. The motor has a new water pump and impeller this last fall, and the guy will be taking it out of barn storage to sell it to me. Is there anything I should check or look at before buying? This is my first remote steer boat.

Turning it into a big water duck hunting rig on a budget, any suggestions for decoy storage or hard sided blinds are welcome!

My list for so far:

1. Remove giant casting deck in rear, make something way smaller for gas and battery storage
2. Remove carpet and possibly floor if flor is bad
3. Change paint scheme to something a little more duck "friendly"
4. Remove trolling motor
5. Lengthen trailer or get a different one
6. Add in lighting and storage on the cheap
7. Build the duck blind with a spot for the heater

Anything you can think of let me know!

Paul

That's a great looking boat!

Nice and roomy and it soundss like it would be a fun project with the changes.

Just an Idea for the trailer extention:

How about one of those folding toung hinges from Fulton and add in the desired length from the end that you have?
It would probably help with the control while backing it all up.

Nice boat! My cousin has a 18' lund he hunts and fishes out of. he built a gun box that doubles as a rod locker and triples as a bench haha not sure what to look out for on it other than the normal, make sure the trailer is ready to rock also its way to cold to be messing with it on the side of the road. I look forward to watching this thing turn into your own!

FishnutZ thank you sir! That is a great idea! Are those bolt on usually? I used to weld professionally on steel (no aluminum... Dang it!) but that would be great so I may actually be able to get it in the garage! I assume I want the rollers to end up right under the transom, just like bunks? I've never owned a roller trailer.

Angus, thanks man! I'm excited about it, can't wait to put my hands on it tomorrow. It might be slow since its balls cold here, but things will pick up as it warms up!

Paul,
I really like the Lund.

I usually like to run a motor before I buy, but its just way too cold for that now. Hopefully it all checks out.
This should be a fun build to watch. Good luck.

Btw, is the cat fishing good on the St. Croix?

I should be able to run it, I had him do a compression check as well: 120, 120,119,118. Looking good!

And yes, if you need a spot, I know a few good ones for cats. Good eater sized blue channel cats are common, but there are some monsters not far north of Stillwater.

Pweisbrod -

The Fulton site has all the sizes and details, but yes.....They bolt on.
I just installed my second and they are engienius.
It makes my trailer 4' shorter!

They have one model that you could just remove what you have on the end and bolt on the extention as a complete unit. There are a few holes to drill, but nothing challenging.

Thanks for the tip fish, I will definitely be looking into that and doing some measurements to see if I can get one that will work for me.

Got it home today! Turns out the boat is a 79 and the motor is a 77. I will probably be replacing the motor with something newer, not sure if it'll be two or four stroke yet. Everything pretty much checked out, the typical depth finder holes in the hull, needs a new radio antenna, and the wiring looks sub par. Lots of little things, no major flaws.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6,774
Hey guys, I didn't really find any soft spots on the floor and I tested the transom by pulling up and pushing down on the motor while it was tilted up, it didn't seem to move or be squishy. I will be pulling the carpet so I might as well just replace the floor I suppose. What's the best way to get carpet glue off? There are carpet strips on the "rim" of the boat and on top of the console that I will be able to remove and replace with the new color of carpet. After I get it stripped and painted. 8)

Anybody know the going price for a 77 Johnson 85 horse that works with controls? 1k?

Well, I got started.

Ripped out the rear platform and started taking up carpet and seat mounts on the floor. took out the floor mounted battery box. Man, the wiring ain't purdy. I will try to continue taking out the carpet tomorrow if I can get the seat mounts out...

And pictures too!

If I get off work in time! :roll:

Got all the seat mounts out, all carpet off of main deck and sides, and almost have the side console out. I really need to take some pics, I'd be working on it today but its snowing!

Took some pictures today. Got the cable pulled out of the motor so I could pull the console out (what a job, yowza.) there Is now nothing stopping me from replacing the main floor. I have a sinking feeling I need to pull the transom cap and take a look inside.... Anyway took some pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,521
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,521
Got some time after work to fart around with the livewell lids.

Removing some carpeting.
211_zps80216eb9.jpg

Marked the pieces on where they go. The board Lund used is really weird. Strong, but it's pitting like particle board.
212_zpsc5cc817f.jpg

All done. not much accomplished, but I'm enjoying picking away at the project.
213_zpsba5367e0.jpg

And a friendly remind from PB blaster: If you want to remove Lund livewell lid carpeting, remember to get your tetanus shot. :mrgreen:
214_zps8b66745f.jpg

Where is the bet place to buy cheaper carpeting? I need something khaki or grey.

Is there a best way to replace the floor? It looks like Lund used two extra long sheets, it is split down the middle the "long" way of the boat. That way the ply is supported on all ribs. I will have to Try and find some ply Long enough.

Latest posts