1991 Alumacraft Crappie Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hueydr

Reaction score
OK, here we go. My pops gave me his 1991 Alumacraft Crappie Jon with a 1991 Tohatsu 18HP outboard a couple of years ago. He purchased it new in 91 and used it up to 2004. It was sitting at his house unused and he asked if I wanted it. Of course I said yes and had new wheels and tires sent to his house so it could be trailered here (about 265 miles). Along with the new wheels and tires my Pops had new bearings and bearing buddies installed so that part of the build is already complete. My first order of business is to find out the condition of the motor. I checked the compression and its rock solid. Since it hasn’t been run for almost 10 years I wanted to do the water pump impeller and a card rebuild. The impeller is/was no problem but the carb was a different story. Parts are no longer made for the carb and finding someone with some NOS took awhile but I finally found one and I’m now in the process of doing it. You can see in the photos that I already have the lower unit off to do the impeller and that’s now complete. Once the carb is done I will try to get her running. If she runs, she will get a new paint job, new rubber, decals etc so she looks and runs like new. The idea for this boat is a complete restoration. I want to bring it back to what it was when it was delivered in 1991. Same for the motor and trolling motor (don’t know if the trolling motor still works or not). The idea is to have a “Brand New” 1991 boat, motor and trailer. I’m going to forewarn everyone by saying I am currently in the middle of building a new home so this project might take awhile. I believe this will be the first Crappie Jon done on Tinboats so I’m breaking some new ground here. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think. And as always on Tinboats, recommendations and tips are always welcome. Now let’s see if this motor runs.

FrontDeckArea_zpsff960c91.jpg

FromAftLookingForward_zpsc28cbaaa.jpg

GuideOnandWheel_zps5381a26c.jpg

AftSideofTransomeandMotor_zpsf59c06db.jpg

TransomAreaandMotor_zps17e60495.jpg

LivewellUnderDriversSeat_zps109951da.jpg

DriversSeatandMotor_zps570f0767.jpg

DriversSeatandLivewell_zps8fda742d.jpg

FromFrontSeatLookingAft_zpseb6b91e0.jpg

FrontSeatandBatteryStorage_zpse1a80321.jpg

FrontwithTrollingMotor_zps14946575.jpg

ViewFromFront_zps0634c048.jpg

1991AlumacraftCrappieJon_zps5c1217d0.jpg

The boat itself looks to be in wonderful condition! Looks like some wood and carpet work and it will be looking new again. Once you strip it down we'll have a better idea of what work will need to go into it. But awesome boat! Can't wait till shes finished

Pretty sure the floors in that boat are aluminum. They are in my 1990 alumicraft Angler. Carpet and seats along with some clean up and you should be back in business.

You have a very good foundation there. As far as the motor goes I highly recommend "Sea Foam". Follow the directions on the can. It worked great on a 1963 Johnson that had sat for nearly 25 years. Good luck!

OK the motor hasn't run in 10 years. New water pump impeller, carb rebuild, new fuel lines and new plugs. It took 4 pulls to start!! After warming up, it idles like a champ!! Shut it off and it now cranks on the first pull every time!! Time to tear her down for a good cleaning and a fresh paint job. Ordered a replica set of decals from Garzon Studio's so she should look new when done. Next step is to see about the trolling motor. More to come.

That's a nice canvas you have there to work with!
I will be watching this one.
Man those Tohatsu motors are tuff!
I bought one off a dude cheap, it was locked up.
Someone had forgot to pull the drain plug out of the boat , they laid the motor inside off it.
Long story short boat got filled with water , motor sat months under water :shock: .
After freeing up,It starts by second pull always. Only part that has been replaced is the impeller..

TxTightLiner said:
That's a nice canvas you have there to work with!
I will be watching this one.
Man those Tohatsu motors are tuff!
I bought one off a dude cheap, it was locked up.
Someone had forgot to pull the drain plug out of the boat , they laid the motor inside off it.
Long story short boat got filled with water , motor sat months under water :shock: .
After freeing up,It starts by second pull always. Only part that has been replaced is the impeller..
Yeah, my dad swear's by this motor and now I believe as well. I need to paint it but I need to know what the paint color is. I've seen several different colors listed for a 91 Tohatsu but only 1 can be right. Anybody have an idea?

It looks smoke grey to me.
I would look at Yamaha's and Nissans of the same vintage.
Ive heard they all three are very similar, some internal parts are even compatible.
I know the Nissans are for sure. Just an idea!

OK. Got the motor paint on the way and the motor tear down is under way (pictures coming soon). Was looking at the trailer and it looks like its galvanized and was painted blue and then black (without primer I think). Can I strip this down to the original finish without damaging the galvanized finish? Also, I can't read the manufacturers name but it looks like ???DOC or maybe ???DOG and the names Freeport and St Petersburg FL are visable. Anyone have any info on this :?: Thanks guys.

Can't help you a bit, I just have to comment on your name and profile pic. I am very envious. I wish like heck I could be a huey pilot. I reckon the only time I will get to spend in one will either be at an airshow or if I get a job as a tech doing refurbs on em. Good to see someone else in AL too!

Wow when you said you were going to paint it I wasn't expecting that!
Keep up the good work.
Man it's gonna look like a 1991/2013 model :!:

TxTightLiner said:
Wow when you said you were going to paint it I wasn't expecting that!
Keep up the good work.
Man it's gonna look like a 1991/2013 model :!:

Thanks. I had to replace the shift linkage boot on the bottom of the lower cowl and since I had it that far apart, might as well go full bore. At least I can inspect the entire motor because when I sell it I want to ensure that the new owner is getting the best I can deliver.

I love that boat. When I was looking that's the boat I wanted to get. I couldn't afford new and couldn't find it used. What's nice is that it's already engineered to be wide open inside so there's no compromising the structure of the boat by taking out seats or other modifications. There must be lots of floatation foam on the sides and under the floor too. I bet when you get the carpet stripped and the gunk off it's going to be pretty sweet. Post more pics soon...

bobberboy said:
I love that boat. When I was looking that's the boat I wanted to get. I couldn't afford new and couldn't find it used. What's nice is that it's already engineered to be wide open inside so there's no compromising the structure of the boat by taking out seats or other modifications. There must be lots of floatation foam on the sides and under the floor too. I bet when you get the carper stripped and the gunk off it's going to be pretty sweet. Post more pics soon...

Thanks bobberboy. I went back and looked at your mods and to say i'm impressed is an understatement :!: This boat is a refurb so I dont really need alot of vision to get it done but I hope you don't mind me bouncing ideas off of ya. I was going to start on the trolling motor next but I think i'm going to work on the boat and trailer and leave it for last.

Question. I know some older foams in the tins was "open cell" and acted like a sponge. I have removed a section of the side and found styrofoam, good ol styroform. I can feel some water in whats under the floor but the side piece I removed is dry. Will this type of foam dry out or will it all need replacement? Sorry for the poor pics. Thanks.

Foam1_zps8c0ddebd.jpg

Foam2_zpsc06dcaae.jpg

looks like a winner when you get it done. If you need or want a new TM, have a MG 43# 5 speed collecting dust in the shed that would work good on that boat. GL on the restore.

Latest posts