1981 Alumacraft F-14 Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riverrat174

Reaction score
I have had this boat for years, just had it parked getting rotten. Got the itch for a river boat and so i have started on it!!! I have torn the insides torn out and will buff her up a little bit, inside and out. I will add pics as I go. I am pretty much gonna do the same type of build as Dman did with his older boat. I have a few of my own little mods in mind, but will detail as I go. I didn't take before pictures, :cry: , and really wish I would have. O' well. All is well that ends well. Any suggestions are appreciated. I would like ideas on a jet motor for her tho. I had a 35hp Merc that flat out up & died. It got expensive changing out props on the old Merc because the Yellowstone where I fish gets pretty shallow in spots. It was an old stern drive, but I am just going to put a tiller in her. I also plan on painting her inside & out. I wont use it much for Duck/Goose, but if I do, I want to be able to be as incognito as possible!!!

Here is one question:

What is the easiest way to close all those holes from the bench rivets. I have some ideas, but would like to hear yours. I know now I should have took the benches out & left the outside of the rivet heads in, but I didn't :shock:

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 4,970
  • boat2.JPG
    boat2.JPG
    528.4 KB · Views: 4,970
  • boat3.JPG
    boat3.JPG
    511 KB · Views: 4,970
  • boat4.JPG
    boat4.JPG
    500.7 KB · Views: 4,970
  • boat5.JPG
    boat5.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 4,970
  • boat6.JPG
    boat6.JPG
    334.6 KB · Views: 4,970
Did some paint removal last night. I don't know what they use on the inside of that sucker, but in some places is is thick and takes awhile to get off. I used a wire wheel for a while until my wife went to Wal-Mart and picked up a couple hard plastic paint/rust removal wheels. That sped things up a little. I also got the big OK to buy my motor, which really gets my blood pumping. I ordered my marine grade plywood from Menards. When I go to get it, I will pick up the foam kit and some 2x4's for the floor. The winch stand & roller for the trailer, and the rear tail lights/blinkers and the wiring harness are being ordered today. I hope to have the interior of the boat stripped by this weekend, and the exterior this weekend (Ambitious Plans!!!). If things go well, I will get the trailer wire wheeled off and repainted, and get the bunks taken off, as they need to be replaced as well. I already have new wheels & tires on it (picked them up from runnings quite awhile ago). If you look closely, yo may even see my final can of thirst quencher laying in the bottom of the boat!!!! :D

Cheers

Attachments

• boat7.JPG
    boat7.JPG
    429.4 KB · Views: 4,857
  • boat8.JPG
    boat8.JPG
    376.8 KB · Views: 4,857
  • boat9.JPG
    boat9.JPG
    347 KB · Views: 4,857
  • boat110.JPG
    boat110.JPG
    383.1 KB · Views: 4,857
Ill finish taking the inside to bare metal tonight. Ill post pics tomorrow. Spent all day yesterday sanding & wire wheeling. I probably got 10 hours into the sanding. I got a 40/28 jet coming freight. Floor wood should be here late this week. I'm excited, but I have a long way to go.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=314721#p314721 said:
riverrat174 » 14 May 2013, 14:01[/url]"]Here is one question:

What is the easiest way to close all those holes from the bench rivets. I have some ideas, but would like to hear yours. I know now I should have took the benches out & left the outside of the rivet heads in, but I didn't :shock:

Looking good, and you are well on your way!

Personally, I would replace the rivets with new rivets. You can find fairly cheap on internet, use either an air hammer with punch from discount store like Harbor Freight, or ball-peen hammer and block. Aluminum rivets are pretty easy to work with since they are soft. Lots of examples out there. Otherwise you can find suggestions on aluminum welding, composites or Stainless steel nuts/bolts with sealant. Good luck, cant wait to see how you progress.

Thanks, padFried. I was thinking about welding, but the rivets will be much easier. I have made some progress, but not as fast as I hope. I decided to take out the transom and replace it too. There was some mold and soft spots when I got it out, but overall not in terrible shape. I just decided if I am going to have it all apart, once is enough. Replace everything and do it right. Like dad always said, "if your gonna do something, no point in doing it half-a@#ed. Here are some progress pics. I have had enough of the wire wheel. i bought a grinder and used a 3" wire wheel to speed things up. It worked great, but it destroyed the wheel with haste. I ended up picking the wires out of my pants, and a couple out of my hands. [-X Maybe I just got a cheap wire wheel??? It was rated for 12,500RPM, and the grinder said top speed was 11,000. O'well. Its getting there.

Attachments

• boat11.JPG
    boat11.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 4,679
  • boat12.JPG
    boat12.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 4,679
  • boat13.JPG
    boat13.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 4,679
  • boat14.JPG
    boat14.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 4,679
  • boat15.JPG
    boat15.JPG
    412.8 KB · Views: 4,679
OK, day or two off schedule, but the inside is done. I also got my winch stand mounted last night. I also learned 2 valuable lessons so far: 1.Just because a accessory fits your grinder, doesn't mean it belongs on it, and 2. Forget the drill, the grinder is THE way to go for removing paint.

Besides grinding, is there an easier way to get those decals off? They come off with the wire wheel, just slowly.

Next is the exterior. I wont get to it until next week. I have the whole grinding thing down pat now, so I am thinking I should be able to knock it out in 4-5 hours. My plan is to have it primed inside & out by Sunday June 2. Easy money. I'll also start on the transom & floor.

Have a SAFE & Happy Memorial Day. Remember to thank those that served, either in person or in prayer. Thanks to my grandpa Henry Rossol. I think about you often!!!!

Attachments

• boat16.JPG
    boat16.JPG
    377.7 KB · Views: 4,618
  • boat17.JPG
    boat17.JPG
    427 KB · Views: 4,618
  • boat18.JPG
    boat18.JPG
    436.4 KB · Views: 4,618
  • boat19.JPG
    boat19.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 4,618
  • boat20.JPG
    boat20.JPG
    449.7 KB · Views: 4,618
  • boat21.JPG
    boat21.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 4,618
Just got back from Colorado & graduation late last night. My trailer lights and wiring was here!!!! My marine grade plywood is @ Menards, but the foam kit isn't. :( I might take the wife for a hotel night out for our 10th Anniversary, so I can pick all of it up this weekend. Ordered my fish-finder, rod holders, and LED rope lights today. As planned, I will finish sanding the outside & prepping for paint this week. Sigh.......

Any idea on where to get seats, pedestals, & bases for reasonable?

Quick 2 hours and the decals are gone. Just got to flip her over and get the bottom. Slow & steady.

Attachments

• Boat22.jpg
    Boat22.jpg
    610.6 KB · Views: 4,465
  • Boat23.jpg
    Boat23.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 4,465
Floor mock up. Getting there!!!

Attachments

• Boat24.JPG
    Boat24.JPG
    673.1 KB · Views: 4,360
  • Boat25.JPG
    Boat25.JPG
    657 KB · Views: 4,360
Just a few pics of us fixing the transom. Someone had cut a section of it out to install a motor, which made is about a 17" transom. Doesn't make sense to me, because the prop hung so low from the old motor. No biggie, its done now. I'll prime & paint then get the boards put in over the next few days. Ordered seats so I can also finish the floor this week. Hopefully spray the foam into it this weekend.

Attachments

• Boat26.JPG
    Boat26.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 4,303
  • Boat27.JPG
    Boat27.JPG
    352.6 KB · Views: 4,303
  • Boat28.JPG
    Boat28.JPG
    443.9 KB · Views: 4,303
  • Boat29.JPG
    Boat29.JPG
    448.2 KB · Views: 4,303
Thanks, bigwave!!! I'm motivated for sure. I've definitely made some mistakes. I had to sand down & reprime the "port" side, because I ran out of the first primer I bought and couldn't find it at Wal-Mart [-X . My replacement didn't stick right, and cost me HOURS of time. Also got a little over spray on the Olive drab. Ill wet sand it quick, give it one last coat, and file that away as a lesson learned as well. Ive read here so many times "Don't get in a hurry." But, its part of the process. My goal is to fish a catfish tournament July 13th. Small one put on by some buddies in my hometown. Not a big catfish aficionado, but it will help keep me on track. Getting the transom back together is gonna be a BEAR!!! Not looking forward to it. #-o

My motor is being shipped via FedEx freight. Counting down the days!!!! I got my tuff coat, live well pump, seats, bases, and pedestals yesterday. Live well & new fuel tank should be here soon. I have a little more work to do on the paint job on the bottom, and need to finish painting the trailer to match. I have it torn down & primed in my garage. Just need to get new leaf springs and U-bolts. The older bolts were twisted something awful. Also, the bunks were rotten to the core. I snapped them in two with one swift kick. (Actually, I sat on them to eat lunch and they broke :oops: :LOL2: ) Once I get the trailer put back together, I'll flip her over and start painting the inside!!!!!! I'll post more pics of the trailer & bottom side finished tomorrow!!!

Attachments

• Boat30.JPG
    Boat30.JPG
    269.2 KB · Views: 4,149
  • boat31.JPG
    boat31.JPG
    316.4 KB · Views: 4,149
  • boat32.JPG
    boat32.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 4,149
Looking good, heck I have already got lots of scratches on my boat due to barnacles on the pilings around here. Man I would have loved to see you break the boards just by sitting on them.....I picture you in that fur coat and speedo enjoying your samwich.......that avatar makes me laugh every time..... :lol:

If it makes me laugh, it's good!!! I didn't get much done last night. I'm a little frustrated, but also trying to move a little slower. I might be hurrying a little, and I don't want that.

Quick question for you guys. I cleaned the hell out of it, and out of all the square footage i have primed and painted, its just that one side that is giving me trouble. I removed, re-cleaned, primed, and repainted that whole side. I thought it was the primer not sticking to the aluminum, but then if find this. The paint did the same thing the primer did. The primer stuck well, the second time, so I'm not sure what im doing wrong. Maybe putting the coats on too fast? Any ideas?

Attachments

• boat33.JPG
    boat33.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 1,356
Oh man this is one of those brainteasers! I've had this happen before and I'm trying to remember how and why. Let me ask this, did you wet sand the primer or how long did primer sit before final paint? Reason: is it possible the surface in this area was damp/wet prior to final coat. I'm assuming final paint is an oil based enamel.

I basically roughed it with a scotch brite pad. And I didnt wait 24 hours, if I was supposed to. I had a feeling I put the paint on too soon, but didnt notice anything ugly when I roughed the surface.

What are you wiping down with right before paint/prime? I used whats called a tack rag and some dupont quick prep product I believe it was called from a body shop. Guess all I was going towards was maybe that the rag or something had some oil or contaminant in it? :?

Good looking build can't wait to see the rest after you get rid of your paint gremlins. =D>

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=318728#p318728 said:
DOBSONFLY » Yesterday, 22:45[/url]"]What are you wiping down with right before paint/prime? I used whats called a tack rag and some dupont quick prep product I believe it was called from a body shop. Guess all I was going towards was maybe that the rag or something had some oil or contaminant in it? :?

Good looking build can't wait to see the rest after you get rid of your paint gremlins. =D>

Thanks dude.

I did use shop rags, I thought they were clean.... :roll: Anyhow, I got it green again and it is all good. I just need to get the other side of the bottom done tonight, and finish the trailer. Then I can flip her back over and start work on the floor/interior.

On a positive note, my motor is sitting on a pallet in a FedEx warehouse waiting for me in Minot!!! =D> =D> I am just trying to line up a time to pick it up tomorrow!!!! I am getting excited again after my little pitfalls. Everything except my livewell struff is sitting in my garage waiting for me to get my poop in a group and get moving!!!! Thanks for the suggestions, everybody!

Latest posts