1996 16' Lund Laker Project

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
rscottp

Post by rscottp »

IMGP2731.jpg
Hi all, great site! I love checking out all the projects! I have had my boat for over 13 years and I love it. It had developed quite a few leaks from the pounding I have given it fishing around Martha's Vineyard and I was thinking that its days were numbered. I found this site and decided to attempt a fix. I replaced leaky rivets with SS nuts, bolts and 5200. Then 2 coats of Gluvit on the inside. No leaks! I have decided to do restoration and mod on the boat for next season.

Gluvit paint on outside, reconfigure inside(center console, rod storage, ect.).

Boat has been set up as a tiller but I am going to convert it to remote, I know I am giving up some space but after this season I knew I had to make a change. I fly fish most of the time for breaking fish. You have to drive to the fish and cast quickly, I am just getting too old to keep jumping back and forth from the back of the boat to the middle to cast. I am also sick of the twisting involved in the tiller steering. Still not 100% set on final design but this site has given me some great ideas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

Interior stripped and off the trailer. Need to get some help to flip it over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pweisbrod

Post by Pweisbrod »

Make it a forward console!

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

Thats the plan, I would like to have a small center console in front of the forward casting deck. Should be small enough so that I can get up there if I need too.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

Got it flipped today. Time to get going with the wire wheel.

smackdaddy53

Post by smackdaddy53 »

Wire wheels are fun...I got after mine with it yesterday and got a 24"x48" area down to bare aluminum in an hour. At that rate I have another 10 hours...
~Mac~

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

2 1/2 hours with the angle grinder later! Found a few areas of pitting and small holes that need to be addressed.

Ranchero50

Post by Ranchero50 »

Looks like a cool project. One thought, would it be better to have a rear casting deck on a V hull vs. the front? The rear deck is wider / stabler and easier to pop up onto. I think a setup like my jet boat console would work well. I have a small mid hull well and larger mid height decks front and rear. The center console on mine is in the middle of the boat and has a grab rail that make moving around very safe.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

Your boat is awesome. I like the console you made, grab rail is very sturdy looking. My console will be a bit closer to the front, I am going to deck over the back. There will be storage for fuel/battery and a built in cooler(made from old live well). The casting deck in the front is pretty stable but I don't really use it much, the storage under deck is a necessity. My dog Jack likes to ride up there.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

Nice warm day here in New England. Finished most of the wire wheeling with the grinder. Patched small holes and pitting with Marine-tex white, I ran a little short and need to get a bit more.

catchin1

Post by catchin1 »

Looking good.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

Weather in the mid 50's today. Just put a coat of Gluvit on the seams and rivets. I need to watch the forecast for a day warm enough for painting. I really wish I had a heated garage! I also have a space heater under the hull to add a bit more warmth.

Restrained

Post by Restrained »

Ever consider stick steering? No console taking up space and no tiller, it's something to consider.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

I did think about the stick steer but I think I have my heart set on the center console. I plan to stand 80% of the time but think I will put in a pedestal base just in case.

rscottp

Post by rscottp »

I put a coat of 1 part epoxy oil based paint on today. It claims to be waterproof and can be used on bare aluminum. I used a foam roller to apply. I will get one more coat on the bottom in the next day or so. Hope the stuff works as advertised.