Plywood decks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishjunky

Reaction score
Why are most people making their decks out of plywood?

Is it cost? Ease of machining? Cooler in the sun?

I like plywood for these reasons, but it seems aluminum sheeting is lighter and will never rot.

Total weight is a big concern for my hypothetical boat.

Thanks

Aluminum is pricey but in the long run it is best. The only wood on my boat is the transom and I wish I would have framed it and welded it out of aluminum but it will outlast me!
Check out my build, that hull with the framing and top deck is less than 500 pounds. I am going for shallow draft though.

Thanks.

Is there anything you can do for an aluminum deck to keep it from getting so hot besides wrapping it in carpet? Carpet would become filthy very quickly the way I like to fish.

How would 3/8" plywood do for a deck? I think it would be fine if it had enough support from below.

Would the additional support be worth the time when you could get a thicker plywood? The additional support vs the additional plywood thickness might be minimal weight difference. Just thinking out loud.

I haven't done the math but a couple extra pieces of aluminum square tubing should be a lot less weight than 3/4 plywood (vs the 3/8)

And I don't mind the extra time involved.... tinkering is almost as much fun as fishing :)

My tow vehicle is a 4cyl 1.8l car so total weight is a major concern.

Oh I thought you were talking about using 3/8" instead of 1/2" plywood. 3/4" I believe is overkill.

Seems like it. I've seen several build outs done with 3/4. I used 3/8" as an example because I think that's the thinnest plywood available with exterior rated glue. I could be wrong though.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=336099#p336099 said:
fishjunky » Yesterday, 14:36[/url]"]Why are most people making their decks out of plywood?

Is it cost? Ease of machining? Cooler in the sun?

I like plywood for these reasons, but it seems aluminum sheeting is lighter and will never rot.

Total weight is a big concern for my hypothetical boat.

Thanks

In my opinion, "it depends". I used 1/2" plywood in my project. Why? Two reasons. Heat and sound. Cost wasn't a factor for me. I've worked with aluminum for years, so that wasn't a factor. As far as weight, a 1/2" sheet of plywood is about 50 lbs. A 48" x 96" x.060 sheet of aluminum is about 27 lbs. The same size .100 thick is around 45 lbs.
Both materials have certain advantages and disadvantages. Is one better than another? That depends on how you are going to store and use the boat.
There are great projects on this site using aluminum and using wood. Use whatever you are comfortable with.

I've seen a couple people post a spray on product here but can't remember the name. I am only 155 lbs soaking wet and could probably pull off a 3/8" plywood. That plus the space I will be decking on my 12' boat is pretty small.

I'm doing an aluminum deck on my project and were putting marine vinyl on it instead of carpet. If it gets blood or dirt on it i'm just going to spray it off with the hose, I don't think its going to get hot at all.. at least no hotter than anything else out in the full blast Florida sun. I haven't tested my theory yet but we got a lighter color grey vinyl and i'm pretty sure it's not going to soak up the heat.

As for wood vs aluminum, I found a place in town that sells scrap aluminum based off weight. So a sheet of that vs a sheet of plywood cost wise isn't much different. If I didn't have that available then we would have went the wood rout.

fishjunky said:
Is there anything that can be done about the heat on an aluminum deck other than carpet it?
I am going with Tuffcoat nonskid coating on the deck. Check it out, cruise ships, fishing boats, water parks all use it. Tuffcoat.com

For me, it was the ease of working with wood as I am a carpenter. Aluminum channel or angle for supports and framing, and 1/2" marine plywood for floors and decks. I actually wanted a little more weight to stiffen the ride on my 1648 Alumacraft. The floor boards have closed cell foam under them between the ribs as well.

After I cut everything out, trimmed and sanded them, I took them to my local LineX dealer who sprayed the tops and edges. They'll never come apart or delaminate. You have a choice of colors also. I think he charged me $65 - $85 for the whole thing. This is the second rig I've done this to.

Plywood is easy for me to get work with and someday repair.

I do some cold weather fishing and I find a wood floor better underfoot when the
water is cold.

Hi guys, I repaired my decks in my 1986 alumacraft bandit with 3/4 home center plywood because it's easy to come by and to work and that's what the factory put in the boat and I don't know but what it's part of the design structure, anyway I put 3 coats of west system epoxy on all decks and hatch lids and then replaced the carpet because i've noticed that if you drop anything in the bottom of an aluminum boat it scares the fish in the next river anyway good or bad that's what I did.

I used 1/2" plywood and sundeck vinyl from home depot for my lower deck and it stays nice and cool,easy to scrub and cost less than 60 bucks for a 6x6 piece,and its really durable.