1642 Landau Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsterbass

Reaction score
Picked this boat up for $1200.00. Trailer needs some work, but my main focus is the boat itself. First, I noticed that the boats outer hull is not smooth like most Jon's are it has a rough texture type feel to it. Should I just wipe down with acetone and scrub with wire brush? Suggestions please! Also, I have never removed a Outboard with a steering wheel and have no clue where to start, how hard is it? Any dos and dont's? I am looking forward to this project. Has a 28 h.p. Evinrude. Here she is...

new boat-hull.jpg

new boat.jpg

new boat 2.jpg

boat motor.jpg

Surely someone on this board has some answers to the above questions, if not guess i will go in blind and see how she turns out.

Monsterbass said:
Picked this boat up for $1200.00. Trailer needs some work, but my main focus is the boat itself. First, I noticed that the boats outer hull is not smooth like most Jon's are it has a rough texture type feel to it. Should I just wipe down with acetone and scrub with wire brush? Suggestions please! Also, I have never removed a Outboard with a steering wheel and have no clue where to start, how hard is it? Any dos and dont's? I am looking forward to this project. Has a 28 h.p. Evinrude.
Hey MonsterBass, Nice Project. Removing a motor, with controls, from a boat is not an easy job.
To begin with it is very heavy, you will need a stand of some sort to place it on and some friends.

There are three items to disconnect. Take pictures of EVERYTHING before you start.
1. Fuel line, easy just disconnect it.
2. Steering shaft, moderate. Unscrew the nut on the end of the steering shaft and disconnect it. On the Starboard side of the motor is a large coupling that connects the steering shaft to the motor, unscrew it and remove the steering shaft from the motor.
3. The throttle and shift cables are next. moderately difficult. With the shift lever on the console in the neutral position,
mark the location of the cables and brackets where they are bolted to the motor. (Photograph these for later reassembly).
Remove the cotter pins or clips from the end of the shafts where they connect to the motor. Loosen or remove the bolts from the clamps holding cables to the motor. You should now be able to remove the cables and set aside.

I got lazy and took my boat and motor to a local marina to re-install everything.
Welcome to tin boats, and be sure to fill out your profile so we can see where you are. There may be a Tin Boater near you that can lend a hand.
Hope this helps Jerry :)

I would spray the hull down with a pressure sprayer and then look into some type of aluminum cleaner. There has been several threads here of various products used to clean hulls but I can't remember what they were.

Jerry,

Thanks for the tips and no your not a thread killer, I coach/teach and I have been super busy. I think I actually may try to paint it without flipping it over oddly enough I think it's possible,messy, but possible.

Pressure washed whole boat today and started on back deck, slow progress. Pictures soon.

Latest posts