Trolling motor question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryG

Reaction score
I've been reading the forum for a while, just bought a 1432 Alumacraft and a bow mounted trolling motor, my question is how do you guys comfortably control your trolling motor sitting at the front bench? I've considered adding a low deck all the way back to front bench and installing a butt seat but was concerned with stability. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It's kind of tippy but not really bad. I did as you said and put a floor in the front section of my 1436. I had a transom mount trolling motor which i spun around and sat in the middle of the floor/deck and could fish relatively easy. The only thing that really sucKed was hand controlling the motor while trying to fish. I just bought a minn kota edge bow mount that I'll mounting hopefully tomorrow night. I'll try to get some pictures. I've also ordered a 25" pedestal and seat which i want to put in the middle of the front deck. That way i don't have to sit on a little fold up turkey Hunting chair.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=345522#p345522 said:
KerryG » 19 Mar 2014, 21:53[/url]"]I've been reading the forum for a while, just bought a 1432 Alumacraft and a bow mounted trolling motor, my question is how do you guys comfortably control your trolling motor sitting at the front bench? I've considered adding a low deck all the way back to front bench and installing a butt seat but was concerned with stability. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It depends if you have a hand controlled or a foot controlled motor. A low deck is fine with a pedestal seat. I originally had a low deck in my shallow v hull boat with a high pedestal. At 250 lbs I could extend it all the way up and rest my feet on the gunnels without stability issues ( I got some weird looks from fellow fisherman :LOL2: ) For hand controlled motors A Pro Kontroll handle cant be beat with 2 or even 3 T&H Marine foot switches.
ProKontroll002_zpsca4c88cd.jpg

note the handle has been modified since the original was lost
ProKontroll2001_zpsdace83b4.jpg

Go from this
ProKontroll2002_zps26d3b47f.jpg

to this in one motion
Regular handles only move the motor 180 degrees Pro Kontroll can move the motor 360 degrees ( I'm not a spokesman though when I find a good product I talk about it )

Here are some pictures of my 1436 with a floor in the front between the bow and the middle seat. It is about 3" above the the bottom of the boat.
I just finished mounting and carpeting my new bow mount trolling motor. I have to move the post in the middle seat to a base in the floor closer to the foot control. I'm thinking this will help with stability since i'm not reaching up and trying to spin the transom mount trolling motor by hand in the front and having to move my body so much.
Now I just need some Ice to melt so I can get out on some open water and try the new trolling motor and set up out.

Attachments

• BOATBOW1 (1).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 615
  • BOATBOW1 (2).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (2).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 615
  • BOATBOW1 (3).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (3).jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 615
  • BOATBOW1 (4).jpg
    BOATBOW1 (4).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 615
well i came across a good deal on a bow mount motor could yall post some pics of the way you mounted them up. My boat only has a step up front thinking of building a small deck to go on top the side rails up front to mount it on. lets see some ideas!!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=346242#p346242 said:
KerryG » 25 Mar 2014, 15:07[/url]"]well i came across a good deal on a bow mount motor could yall post some pics of the way you mounted them up. My boat only has a step up front thinking of building a small deck to go on top the side rails up front to mount it on. lets see some ideas!!

Here ya go dude... i just custom fabricated this mount for my Minn Kota Edge 45lb thrust. i have a 1432 as well and havn't designed a layout yet for a casting deck... but when i do start the install i know two things will be definite... (1) the deck will be very low...i should probably called it a "slightly raised deck" lol and (2) everything will be built with aluminum as the weight capacity in these 1432's are so minimal.

Check out my current build to see how i made the frame in my garage... aluminum = less weight

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=32343

Attachments

• image_18.jpeg
    image_18.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 462
  • image_19.jpeg
    image_19.jpeg
    107.1 KB · Views: 462

Latest posts