10' Jon Boat Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1st Class Tackle

Reaction score
Howdy,

Let me first say hello to all you great folks. I love the sight and Im very happy to be adding my build to the long list of already impressive builds. I have tried to wait the apropriate amount of time so I had done my research and so that I was truly ready to under go a project of this size. I know its not that large but with a full schedule already its going to be a stretch.

The Goal
A small boat for the family and I to get out on our local lakes with, 2 people at a time. We will only be fishing a few areas with this boat. A medium sized river area (Frio River Uvalde, TX) and a very small electric only lake (Boerne Lake Boerne, TX) we may also venture onto other waterbodies once Im comfortable with the boat.

The Boat
Im not sure of the maker but I was given a 10' Jon Boat for me and the kiddo to restore, feel free to help me out with a make. I was also given a 1970's Johnson Evinrude 3hp Fold Out Motor. I will be restoring that at the end of this project.

Here is a picture of the boat in question.
Picture007.jpg

ebc90fd7-17a7-45f7-9369-f7552d2e1e93.jpg

List of "planned" Modifications
Fresh Paint
GLUVIT at every rivit
L.E.D. Green Fishing Lights
L.E.D. Amber Interior Lap Lights
L.E.D. Navigation Lights
Carpeted and enclosed Anchor box, Tie off storage box F/R, front storage area/deck
1/4 Plywood floors with carpet
Out of the way paddle mount on the side wall
4-6 trolling/crappie fishing rod holders that fit over the rail (Any suggestions)
2 x 3 rod vertical rod racks in the rear for rod storage while traveling
Rear enclosed battery and fuel Box
Fish Finder/GPS/Air Horn/Fire Ext/ On/Off switches area
Ice Chest Bait Well
2 x Comfortable fishing seats (BPS High back tourney special seats)
Transom Mount Trolling Motor
Rebuilt Fold out 3hp Motor

So all of that sounds well and good but I need to take that first step so I can get this project underway. Please keep in mind alot of this is over kill and everything is on a micro design. With all that said here is where you guys come in. Please feel free to share your kind words of advice, encouragment and improvments.

***Note***
I was considering replacing the transom but it ahs already been replaced once and seemed fairl stought. It has already been converted to lag bolts so it would be easy to replace down the road.

Step 1
Paint

Striping
Using Kleen Strip I plan to strip the entire inside and outside of the boat. I was going to wipe down the boat in my front yard while wearing heavy yellow dish washing gloves, goggles and a cheap respirator. I heard this stuff is bad for you. I was gunna let it sit for 15 minutes and wash it off with the hose. I figure two times of this and she so=hould be ready for paint. I will sand bits if need be but Im really trying not to.

Removing oils
I was going to use a simple dish washing detergent and water to clean any grease and debrise from the boat. A simple wipe on rinse off just like the car gets. Starting with the interior and the flipping the boat upside down on saw horses so it can dry while we do the outside.

Etching the Aluminum
This step probably is Over kill but I want to do it right. I will make a 1:1 solution of water and vinegar to wipe the boat down with. Ill let it dry and rinse off the boat one last time with simple water and a rag.

Drying the boat
As a last step after it has air dried I will take a cloth and wipe any dust or debrise before spraying primer on the boat.

Gluvit
I plan to add Gluvit over every single rivit in the oat that touches water. I hope to eleminate the "slight" leaking that the previuse owner complained about.

Primer the boat
I am going to us the self etching primer in a spray can just a light coat over the entire inside and outside of the boat. Hoping 4 cans will do it.

Painting
I am going to use the regular Rustoleum Enamel paint and a spray gun. Im thinking two coats of either a blue or a red interior/exterior paint, I want something a little differnt but I want it to be managable in the Texas heat for all day lip hooking seminars. I will be adding a light color carpet to it after I finish with the wood work so it will appear as a two tone interior.

I tried to draw up my deisgn in paint but im just not that talented with a mouse, here is the best I could do.
b808470e-6e62-4085-881b-89c0fcfd6b78.png

I do have it all sketched out on graph paper and it just barely all fits in the boat. Im hoping there will still be enough load capacity for me and the kiddo or me and the little lady, at most a 330lb payload if me and the women are on baord plus all the stuff I mentioned.

Stay tuned for updates as I hope to have the boat stripped inside of 14 days and painted as shortly there after as possible. I already have all the L.E.D. Lights and Crappie season is here so its fair to say Im in a hurry. LOL

Alex R. 8)

sounds like a over kill. remember weight is a killer and a tippy boat, hope you are only 125 pounds.

I would 1st take it out on the water with two people in it like you stated and see how it feels before you deck it out. You are limited to what you can do with it since it is only 10'.

Dont worry gang, the only real weight is the livewell, cooler and bait tank. Which is only in the drawing for mock up pourposes. These item are made from medium sized ice chest's that fit the boat perfectly. However, should they be too much weight I can easily just remove them. No muss no fuss. Everything else is largly scaled down. For example 1/4" wood instead of 3/4" etc. Framing is going to be 1x1 as none of it is meant to hold weight. Its hard to describe every detail so please stay tuned and feel free to help as I move along. Ill be aware of weight limits as I move through.

I have been out in the boat once. We took it to the frio river and paddled it. The kiddo is 9 and weighs 85lbs. I am 5'8 185. Total 270lbs. I figure this leaves about

Yep, I got a title on her. :)

I bought a 10 footer last year. With two people (340lbs) a trolling motor, 24 series battery, a six can cooler (for the worms or fish if we kept any) and a tackle bag with 3 360 stowaways we were pretty much overloaded.

If you add an outboard, gas tank and live well you would add a lot weight. Each gallon of gas or water (livewell) adds 8 pounds and that adds up quickly. I would keep the gas tank as small as possible, a couple gallons should be fine with the size outboard you are talking about. If you add a live well I might consider using ice in there instead of water.

I am refurbing my old tin as well. Just finished priming her. I like the layout you have planned for yours. I'll be watching your build. Good luck!

Alex I agree with all the previous posts. The max weight capacity is probably in the 300 lb range.
I did the same thing towards the end of last summer. Mine is a fantastic 1 man boat and good for me and my 9 yo daughter as well. I think I'd be beyond pushing it with 2 adults (I'm 190), electric motor, battery and any other gear. Here's a link to mine : 10' Jon Boat .

Good luck with it. :wink:

Thanks guys.

Ill make sure to keep an eye on the weight but honestly I dont know anyone with a jon boat that doesnt overload it but we never go out with winds over 15mph and we are normally in protected areas of the lake. Ill see how it works out.

I took a chance while I was at home depot and I purchased a can of 15 minute striper to start striping the baot. I didnt see Kleen Strip so this was my only other option. I got a small amount incase it doesnt work. If it does it was cheaper then Kleen Strip.

I Finnaly decided to build a custom set of stands to support the boat. I plan on using carrage bolts and 2x4's to make a short stand that me and the kiddo can work with.

Ill psot some pics after we get it striped down.

Definetly take it out in its current configuration. I find the less I take, the better the trip. I have a 12 foot that I just finished, the guys here seem to think it will be too tippy. I would imagine a 10 footer would be even more so.
Good thing is, if it is tippy then thats a great excuse to get a bigger boat!

Latest posts