1981 Fisher 15 ft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassinmoon

Reaction score
Pictures to come soon....just wanted to start the topic. I am new here so hoping I can come back to topic and add photos as I go. I have been waiting to build a boat now for ten years....so I have almost everything lined out in my head. I do know the color.....my daughter wants pink!! So within the next week the boat should be Pink and Black!!

Hope to post some pics today of the new boat. I am sanding now and wanting to know if anyone has an idea as to a cleaner I can use after I sand and before I apply primer? Thanks in advance.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348807#p348807 said:
bassinmoon » Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:54 pm[/url]"]Hope to post some pics today of the new boat. I am sanding now and wanting to know if anyone has an idea as to a cleaner I can use after I sand and before I apply primer? Thanks in advance.
A 50/50 mix of vinegar and water or acetone work well. Don't forget a self etching primer on any bare aluminum.

Here are some pics. It is a 1981 Fisher 15ft. It has been gutted for the most part and does not leak at all. Transom still solid, whoever had it did not use that much. I paid 700.00 cash for boat, decent trailer, a 5hp Seaking that does not run and a 10hp 1965 Johnson Seahorse that runs like a champ!! Cool looking older motor. I will be putting a bench with a seat in the back and the front will have a nice deck with all the trimmings. Putting in a live well with a couple of lockable storage compartments. The transom pics were before I cleaned up, then after I cleaned and patched some minor holes. Call me crazy, but I am painting the bottom of this boat light blue with clouds.....that is what the fish see when they look up...lol!!!

Attachments

• Transom Before.JPG
    Transom Before.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,825
Boat when I brought it home. I have since finished gutting it and getting it cleaned up for build.

Attachments

• Day1 C.JPG
    Day1 C.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,820
Looking good! I did a mod with a 1975 Fisher. (posted here) Looks like they did not change them a whole lot between 75 and 81. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Finally some pics of progress. The boat will be smoke grey with a black stripe down the middle, and the top rail will be black as well. The handles on front and back will be black.

Attachments

• Sanding C.JPG
    Sanding C.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,539
  • Flex Seal Rivets.JPG
    Flex Seal Rivets.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,539
  • Primer Coat 2A.JPG
    Primer Coat 2A.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,539
  • Rubber Coating A.JPG
    Rubber Coating A.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,539
  • Coat 1 Paint B.JPG
    Coat 1 Paint B.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,539
  • Trolling Motor Purchase.JPG
    Trolling Motor Purchase.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,539
that thing is coming along nicely! there is WAY more work in sanding one of these things down than i expected. i sanded mine and started painting then found this aircraft paint remover stuff that supposedly works pretty well and since i'm a terrible painter (turned out looking like garbage) and have a couple weeks that i wont be able to use the boat i'm going to strip/repaint soon. looking forward to more pics and progress as i have absolutely no idea what direction i want to take the interior.

Looking Awesome!!! Hopefully I can finish prepping my boat for primer & paint this weekend. One quick question what primer & paint did you use because man that thing looks awesome.

A lot of people will disagree...but if you make sure the boat is roughed up and completely clean...Use Rustoleum!! A friend of mine did it and 4 years it is still going strong. I used the normal Rustoleum white primer and Smoke Grey enamel. Then will follow up with a clear coat spray. Earlier in this thread someone told me to use water/vinegar to clean after sanding...I did that three times until there was no residue on my hand after wiping. They recommend 24 hrs I think between coats...I waited a full three days. Thanks for the compliments.

Just in case someone is following this thread...I haven't posted in a while.....but I have not given up on this!! Should be done in a few weeks. Will post some pics this week.

bassinmoon said:
Just in case someone is following this thread...I haven't posted in a while.....but I have not given up on this!! Should be done in a few weeks. Will post some pics this week.
Post some pictures when your done.

Latest posts