1542 Grumman Side to Center Console Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigredxlt

Reaction score
Started making some progress on a complete overhaul of a 1994 Grumman Trophy 1542 mod-v jon my brother and I bought over the winter. When we bought it everything worked fine and was definitely functional, but we want to use it as fishing, hunting, and bow fishing boat on the shallow river in the backyard. First thing that had to go was all the wood and carpet and the blue paint job. Plans are to move the side console to the middle of the middle bench and make it a center console and aluminum decking in the front and the back. Paint color will be the parkers dead grass colored duck boat paint. Instead of carpeting we'll be using the dark gray factory seconds hydro turf in 6mm thickness with 1/4 of closed cell padding underneath to make it more comfortable. As of right now it is at the welder getting some beavertail pods welded on, an additional leg for the console, and a JB weld fix taken care of. Also going to apply gluvit to all the rivets and gator glide the bottom in mud brown.

Other additions down the line:
Tempress hatches
Ipod hook up stereo
Bilge pump
LED nag lights
accessory plug
shotgun holders (along the side console)
Bow rack (front of console)
Offset pedestal mounts

Here its when we first picked it up:
IMG_1983_zpsqbf4edok.jpg

Merc 15 hp
IMG_2093_zpsh3ceuiax.jpg

I'm aware most will think the boat is too skinny for a center console. While you might be right, Im going to give it at shot. I think the grab bar on top of the console will make it possible to move around the console without falling or tipping the boat and that the float pods will help with stability. If not Ill just pop the rivets and move it to the side, but I don't think that will happen. I'm making it a center console to move the weight forward so it can run in the skinnier water and so I can see obstacles in the water ahead.

42 might be a little skinny, but I know a guy who has one and it works okay; just make a skinny center console! :shock: Keep all the weight (batteries, fuel etc) as low as possible to help keep it from being top heavy.

Battery(s) will be going in compartments cut into the benches with tempress hatches. Gas tank will be on the floor right in front of the motor. Aside from the trolling motor and passengers everything else will be pretty lightweight. No wood decks or anything. Pedestal seats and posts will stay pretty low. I think its a 13" post and I wasn't planning on using them will under way.

Another problem I am running in to with the conversion is how to deal with the motor controls. They are configured for side console with the right side mounting on to that aluminum plate. With the center console conversion my only option would be to control the throttle with my left hand or fab up some bracket so it mounts up the right way. Another member here solved that problem by building a wood addition to his console, but I am trying to avoid adding width to the console and the use of wood. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28261&start=30

What do you think just use my left hand for the throttle controls or come up with another solution?

No need for all that. I'll take a picture of mine and post it up for ya;it's pretty easy to convert, just not the best aesthetically.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349167#p349167 said:
huntinfool » Today, 21:12[/url]"]Trust Rat, he probably knows more about turning a boat over than any one I know. ;-)

True, I have been in more than my fair share of wrong-side-up boats... :shock:

20140417_234323.jpg

You can see how it is laid out in this shot. The controller is mounted to an aluminum plate with the normal holes for the controller. There is a spacer in the back that is the same width as the controller; the aluminum plate is bolted through the spacer and into my console.

Here is a quarter view from the pilots seat.

20140417_234415.jpg

A top view that better shows the spacer.

20140417_234350.jpg

And the side view that shows the bolts. The bolts on the far right go through the aluminum plate and the spacer into my console; the two on the left just hold the controller to the aluminum plate.

20140417_234441.jpg

Not very pretty, but it works great.

I'm probably going to convert to the center console option also on mine. I have been tying to come up with a way to mount the controls also . Will definitely look forward to your build.

Thanks Rat, that definitely looks like it would work. You're not kidding that aint pretty haha. Only problem is that would add an inch or two to the side of the console. Im going to have a hard time make the console any skinnier because I don't want to chop it and the grab bar. I think I'm going to have over 7 inches of flat floor space to maneuver around the console plus however much I gain by moving it on top of the bench so its going to be pretty tight. I think 13-16 inches on either side.

So I guess I will figure out a way to repurpose the existing bracket and attach it to the console. Either that or I am going to cut in to the console and try to create a slot than I can mount the throttle controls in to. I'll be sure to keep you all posted when the boat gets back from the welders.

By the way, when I dropped the boat off to get welded the guy quoted me $100 for mounting the pods, fixing a jb welded crack along one of the seams, and fabricating a matching leg for the console. Is it just me or does that seem way too cheap? I walked in there expecting to pay $300. Should I expect to pay more when I pick her up?

I wouldn't expect to pay more; if he quoted you a price that should be the price. If the job is good you might consider a tip though. 8)

If it was a one man shop I would probably consider tipping but it looked like a big construction welding shop so I probably won't even have contact with the guy aactually doing the welding. I guess we'll see.

I have a 1989 Grumman Renegade that I decided to update this winter.
One key update I did was to add a 2nd trolling motor battery so I have 2 12 volts in parallel, so far that is working very well.
Rather than replace the carpet I'm using a rubberized material in the boat floor and side areas, it called Tuff Coat. You may want to check into that for a coating versus carpet or just paint. Still used carpet on the decks. I know now that when this carpet needs replacing I will use the Tuff Coat material.
Checkout the site I created for the project I did.
The link is in my signature.

Enjoy the boat.

Picked the boat up from the welder's today. I feel like a got a great deal $135 out the door to fix the PO jb weld fix, fabricating a leg for the side console to make it a center console, and welding the pods on. Definitely aren't the prettiest welds, downright ugly in some spots but it will work and the paint will cover it up pretty well.

20140425_192535_zpsbo6xrxig.jpg

20140425_192546_zpsbje6ybs6.jpg

20140425_192552_zps3wzt8knm.jpg

Also, I wasn't specific enough where I wanted the aluminum pipe welded on so he put them pretty low. I am going to have to come up with fix for that so I am not shooting twin rooster tails up in the back. I'm thinking I either put caps on the bottom with a little chain leash on them or just cutting them.

The pipes will be used as a poor mans power pole shallow water anchor. Boat will mainly be used in shallow river so it will be nice not to have to use the trolling motor constantly.

It looks like there will be enough space on either side of the console to move around. Especially once the grab bar is installed.

Whats left of the paint is being pretty stubborn in coming off. Anybody have an advice on how to get the remnants off?

So as much as the gatorglide was advertised as going on really easily, I was pretty disappointed. I followed the directions precisely and the paint really did not want to stick at all. A half gallon later and four coats later, it at least looks like it covered the whole boat from a distance, but in reality it didn't there are still spots all over the place where the aluminum is showing through. I am not very happy considering how much that stuff cost and I had emailed gatorglide before I bought it and they assured me that a quart would be enough to cover the bottom of a 15 foot boat. Thankfully I ordered a half gallon. The stuff is crazy slick even if it didn't cover as well as advertised.

20140518_195321_zps3db4abo7.jpg

20140518_195334_zpsgwxieoik.jpg

20140518_195338_zpsvvxwhgvo.jpg

20140518_195349_zpssw57leq8.jpg

20140518_195509_zps1fhwdth9.jpg

20140518_195521_zps2aessn4x.jpg

Latest posts