Cashew's 11' SeaMaid

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashew

Reaction score
Well boys and girls I'm ready to start on my new to me 11 foot SeaMaid. It's not too shabby looking, got it for a song on CL. A pedal boat tagged along with it, and a 18lb TM as well. Wife not as excited as I am about it. Hopefully the photos will attach and you can see what I'm planning on doing. Max 2 occupants at a time, either myself and wife or either of my 2 sons, maybe my hunting buddy. The first 2 Occupants are on the plus size, the rest no so much. No animals for the ride, unless rescued from the water or air. =D>

I have not fished in about 12 years, so it's well beyond time to do so. I'd like to try my hand at bowfishing so we'll see what happens. I've also got dreams of taking a duck or two as well. (I know it's really small, but a guy's gotta dream).

I'm unsure of it's age, the seller said his Grandpa was the original owner so it's been All in the Family. 2 known small leaks, have not yet filled or float tested, yet. Just brought it into the garage to take my photos and plan the attack, it's heavier than I remember it being. It needs a good cleaning, and plenty of steel screws to replace.

Playing with the winch reel, it takes up more real estate than I was thinking it should. It might get deleted. The seats I might flip them and refurbish them and see how it rides. I have never seen metal flotation chambers below the seat like this.

I'd like to run a floor to level it out, unsure about bow storage, other than it won't be a casting deck. :shock: I know better.
Planning on repainting, would like to do a duck camo. Need to refinish the oars, and since I'm almost tackle less get some new Plano boxes and a couple pole/reels to feel important. I gave up most of the equipment I had, so safety gear, PFD's will be first on the list. Due to size, cooler for fish on ice, had a live well before and I like the cooler.

Will modify my HF 4x8 folding trailer to do double duty. Need to rewire trailer and plug on the Van(My covered truck). Let me see if those photos will load.

Any suggestions especially on the seats is very much welcome,
Love this site.
Cashew

Still need to power wash it and leak test, hopefully this weekend. Weather is not cooperating. I'm leaning towards removing the middle and rear bench seats and running supports from the sides across the bottom and building up the floor and pedestal style storage boxes with swivel seats. Hinge the boxes for storage but allow more floor space and inside side hull to mount fish poles. The poles would ride too high laying across the current bench seats. Move the middle seat position closer to the bow so the seat can be used front and back. Still not sure storage for bow seat, no one will be standing and casting from it.

Storage for tackle, Plano boxes to slide into the side of the seat boxes like drawers and held with small bungies. Between the seats a cooler for fish and a cooler for drinks/lunch.

Tempting to carpet flooring and seat boxes in matching carpet. I'm sure the wife would like a moderate paint vs running with camo. A camo blind would cover it all up if/when get into duck season. I heard a "Happy wife is a Happy Life". Someone's not happy at the moment, If I sell the pedal boat she might get back to smiling. :)

Unsure on motor, weighing option of an older 5-9HP outboard that might need repairs vs new lawnmower engine with longtail kit. I don't plan on running mud. Personal opinion if I don't own the land/water it's not right for me to tear through it with a prop/vehicle just not right in my book.

Opinions on motors, greatly appreciated, starting to warm up in MI and anxious to get "Fish on".

Cashew

Stripped the boat of hardware. Unbolted the transom which was rotten along with motor pad.

Will replace both with exterior plywood coated with Spar urethane. Bolts didn't want to unscrew so got the grinder out with cutting disk and buzzed through the bolts and used a screwdriver and hammer to snap the heads off. Used an old bolt to punch out the bolt from the holes. Removed all 3 seats while I was at it.

Will weigh the seats and 2 buoyancy boxes, they were very heavy. Removed the anchor winch, have not yet removed the pulleys, managed to scratch arm up on the front pulley. Thank goodness up on my tetanus shot. :p

Lightened the boat up quite a bit, will have to reinforce the seat locations as I knew I would have to. Took the boat for a ride to the car wash and cleaned it inside and out. Looks much better with the grime off, I'm still wet from the wind blowing back while spraying. Left it outside strapped the trailer to dry, will bring back into the garage to plan next stage. Will upload photos and take some more, didn't take any after it got washed.

Picked up the plywood, Spar urethane, self etching primer and spray can trigger handle. Looks like the inside has a slip resistant coating, might be sand mixed with paint. Have not yet decided on paint color, want input from the wife along with seat choices. Keeping the oar locks, just in case. Will sand and urethane the oars also just in case.

Would like to replace the transom corner/handles. Not sure what they are called. Still riveted to sides, but will replace all hardware with stainless steel. The 2 name plaques were plastic that appeared to be original, but sun and weather got the best of them, wasn't able to save them. Set the rivets all the way in.

Leak test is next on the list, layout and reinforce the seat mounts. Frame out 2 seats, front storage area. New transom and motor pad.

Any comments welcome.
Cashew

New Member here, I just started cleaning up a 14' Seamaid Semi V myself. Not having much luck finding any information on them but Im looking forward to following your build.

Chad good hearing from you,I still have no more info on age or anything else about the manufacturer. But work continues. I just placed my order for 2 seats, swivels and replacement anchor pulley. I need the seats on hand to get support bases built, want them like Goldilocks, "Just right". :wink:

I'm planning on cleaning up the anchor winch and putting it back into service. Balancing house,yard work and family life so boat is getting neglected a bit. Might be able to wire wheel the hull tonight, if all goes well. Planets line up and weather cooperates.

Debating on increasing the transom coverage, just in case I decide to punch a few more holes into it to support god knows what.

Will get boat weighed at some point, anxious to see it floating with me in it.
Any comments or suggestions welcome,

Cashew

Got the scale out and each of the 2 seats with buoyancy boxes weighs in 15 lbs each, front wood seat was only 3 lbs. So 33 lbs in seats removed. Will add back some weight with support bracing and folding fishing seats and swivels. Should be Night and day difference in comfort.

Anchor winch says Crown Anchor will have to clean it more to see the rest of the lettering. Have some 3M 5200 coming as well, have quite the collection of holes to coat when replacement SS hardware gets put back on.

**Side note mixed up JB weld marine adhesive for 2 cracks in my fiberglass pedal boat, looks great so far. Lotta looky lou's keep checking it out, but no cash takers yet. I don't want to see it go, but wife would like to see it gone. Tomorrow if the weather holds off, will get the sander out again for rust removal on rudder and paddles, and a coat of paint to make it all better. I swear if I get a top coat done, it's off the market and it's going fishing. =D>

Supposed to be working on Mother's day project, should have done Sat while the family is out.

Debating on SS wire brushing hull VS Scotch pad to scruff up for self etch primer. Waiting on the seats to pick out boat color. Duck camo is out (I know better, wife is now on board and plan to keep her happy with the boat) [-X , I can add a blind and cover up the paint temporarily.

Cashew

Fedex brought the boat seats. Wise folding padded seats. Post man delivered the swivels as well. Might take a seat in to get paint color matched, 2 colors come close on Rustoleum's color chart. Might add a slip resistant additive, I know could throw some sand in there as well. Original interior paint has this finish, only the bottom has missing paint where feet were rubbing it off.

Got the pedal boat topside painted, looks awesome.

Wife said the seats are a Father's day present. I'll go with that. :D

Now just need a non-rainy day to switch what's in the garage bay so I can plan the supports. Thinking might just be good to get supports in before doing a leak test and flattening my boat due to lack of support. :p
Weekend has already been spoken for, so will sneak out to the garage when I can.

Cashew

Picked out my Father's day presents today, saving big money at Menard's. Marine battery for the trolling motor, plastic battery box. 2 Quarts each paint for inside and outside to match the seats. Metal studs and rivets to reinforce the hull where the seats came out and create 2 seat pedestals for new swivel seats. Pedestals to contain tackle boxes.

Now need to clean out the garage a bit to get the boat back on the saw horses and make it happen. This weekend is free fishing weekend in Michigan. Oh well, soon enough.....

FYI: been helping a buddy diagnose his engine, thanks to tinboats and the members for the motor manual info, was a huge help.

Cashew

Got the boat back in the lineup for working on it. Up on saw horses and a few measurements taken for the bracing. Put the oars in the oar locks, currently longer than the transom so they won't ride setup, would have to pull them from the oarlocks and plan for storage on the sidewalls.

Good news thought I was short on poles, turns out forgot about a bunch in storage at my mom's. Cleaned up and put new line on 2 poles. I'm under a dozen poles, but they must of multiplied somewhere. I don't have that many reels, so might have to start looking for reels. :p

Cashew

Couple months later and I'm back at it. Had 2 months off the build to get umbilical hernia repaired and now off all lifting restrictions and feeling good. FYI: buddy's boat busted a piston and ended up selling it off at a huge loss. Feel bad for him.

Sold the pedal boat, it's a dog toy now for two dogs that like to ride on the river and jumping in and of a canoe was getting old. I think it will be well used.

Picked up metal studs and have 2 seat bases cut and riveted together, it works as a brace across the hull. Should be as strong or stronger than the benches that came out. Transom cut and 2 1/2" exterior plywood has been laminated up. Cutting more plywood for the seat bases.

Planning on checking transom fit one last time before applying epoxy finish to it. Then on to cutting angle iron and square tubing for the wheels that will get mounted to the rear transom and flip up for on water use. I saw several wheel setups and this will be an easy setup and will allow me to load and launch the boat by myself.

Need to cut down existing seat brackets to size so my new base supports will anchor in along with existing bottom bracket. Keeping weight to a minimum since the boat owner is already packing on a few too many pounds. :shock:

Not sure yet on front storage, that part will be a surprise to me, will see what happens. Oars still need some sanding and reinforce the blades a bit then new paint.

Can't believe still not been in the water, once transom is bolted in will water test it. I know it has some small leaks, 3m 5200 tube is waiting to plug them up.

Got a bit more time in on the boat. Cut the seat brackets down, cut angle and square tubing for rear wheels. Picked up rest of the bolts to hold it all together. Forgot 2 removable pins, somehow crossed off my list without buying. Picked up 2nd wheel and then ground down square tubing and 1 coat of primer on it. It's mild steel would love to cap it off but just know it will get water in and don't want to rust inside out and add weight.

While I was at it, sanded off the oars, had lots of paint. Turns out to be nice cedar oars. I think I'll Spar finish them instead of adding any paint back. Have pictures of all the above, but uploading is causing me issues. Got a 2nd coat of Spar finish on transom, I previously said epoxy but using Varathane Spar urethane outdoor UV protection Semi gloss clear. I figure I owe the old gal the best I can, should add many more years to her.

Here is the before and after on the oars.

Varnish Used, Consistency of honey.

Front bow before trimming the seat brackets.

Couple weeks ago went fishing with a buddy,sitting on a bench and this little lady goosed me. Then proceeded to sit between me and the pond and take a nap. I figure she felt safe after me telling her that she can't do that, still smile getting goosed by a duck.

Glad I could get photos rolling again.

Cool, glad to see another duck boat on the site, we will take over... eventually.

consider decking over and making cockpit coamings to keep errant waves out of the boat. Should work great for small water no matter what you do with it.

I recommend the hunters specialties flat enamels, I have had great luck with them, just get them shaken 4-5 times at the store to get all that pigment off the bottom.

Thanks for reading and the comments, will keep in mind.

Been getting more done, always more to do though. Yesterday drill press got a work out for an hour, got holes drilled in the angle and square tubing to pivot up and down, locking pin done on one side. Was pushing the bits too hard even with being well oiled and smoked a few and wasn't cutting. Picked up a few new replacement bits and will run a pilot hole and spend the time going up a step or two at a time to keep it cutting till full size holes are complete. Counting 40 holes between the 2 sets of wheels and brackets.

Spend time at the DMV and got a new Hull Identification Number that I get to engrave,or burn in or can attach plate to the transom. Might pick up a steel number set from HF and make an aluminum plate. Course I was expecting to just get my 3 yr Watercraft registration, but the State wanted it's 6% Use tax for the boat purchase. They made me include the electric trolling motor into the sale price, good thing I got a steal on the boat and motor. Funny the boat was made between 1950-1959 so after telling them I didn't have a HIN, they wanted the Water craft#, which it never had been registered, and was before HIN's were being used. They spent some time reading the vehicle code before grabbing a form to create a HIN. Kinda dumb, it's based on Local office 3 digit code and then 4 digits for month and year. So any other boats in Oct at this location will get the same HIN.

So when asked the year, I dubbed it a 1950. So it is from this day forth. =D>

Now can order the Watercraft numbers so once it's been painted can run it legal. Still not quite water ready. Getting closer though.

If you've got the paper work with the registration information, you should be able to legally put her in the water as long as you keep copies of the paper work with you in the boat.
And I believe, according to the US Coast Guard, all boats that require a HIN and those with older boats that want one, they MUST be a unique individual HIN. No duplicates. If there are then the USCG will make them re issue new ones.

There is an extra digit that is on the paperwork so the HIN will be unique after all. Just didn't look like it at first.

Spent some time this morning drilling and figure the angle iron might have either been hardened steel cuz it wasn't drilling for nothing. After breaking 2 bits, put the metal aside and ran to the metal dealer and got some mild 1.5 inch steel angle. Only took a few minutes to cut it to size, sanding mill scale always a fun time. [-X But needed to be done.

Then spent several hours starting over and lost track of the number of holes drilled. Each hole used 4 bits to get to size, counter sinking was done as well. Will get some photos in a bit, taking a bit to rest and plan out dinner. Just need to trim the length on my wheel brackets and then they will be ready to spray some primer on them. I showed the wife, she was mildly impressed.

Seems like it should have taken a lot less time, but drilling was slow but I still got all my digits. :D

I even made a metal tag with the HIN , embossed steel with 1/4 inch steel stamps. Could have been straighter but now looks the part of being from 1950. :p

Photos are now Finished showing rear and side view of my fold down wheels.

1.5 Inch square tubing for wheel support, HF dolly wheels with 1/2" bolts,nuts and washers. 1.5" angle for mounting to transom and plenty of holes for the pivot point and removable pin for down and up positions. 1/4" bolts for pivot and attaching to transom.

Coat of primer sprayed on and now I feel accomplished.

The wheels on the boat go round and round. One up and one down.

Here is an inside shot showing seat bases before they get tied in and covered in plywood.

Was nice to see it outside and it pulled easy with the wheels, sealed up 13 holes so I could drill another 12 for the wheels. Actually reused one hole so it was 12 for 12. 3M 5200 is runnier than I thought. New SS bolts got filled with 5200 as well.
Wanted to make sure I mentioned cut 1/8" plexiglass as a buffer between the transom and the steel angle and square tubing. Should keep electrolysis from eating up the boat.

Side view, trying to get on level ground to finally do my leak test.

Had to get the sawdust out before the water.

Close up with the wheels out.

Previous owner dropped it from his truck and it's got a beauty mark. The fishy's wont mind.

Leak test, I marked port transom corner, and both sides bottom seam meeting the sides had minor leaking. Quite frankly was expecting worse. I was informed it had leaks, will clean and apply 5200 in and out.

Back on the trailer, it's upside down but it's going to rain soon and it's already had enough water. Will let it side out tonight, clean up garage and get the seats further along. Hope to get more time this weekend. Hmm might have to take more vacation to play with it. =D>

Last night sealed up the inside bottom seam with 3M 5200, today flipped it over and sealed the bottom outside seam. Boy lifting the bow and wheeling it outside, flip the wheels and roll the boat over and wheel back in the garage just got a whole lot easier. Especially since didn't have to ask for a hand to move it.

I'm now out of 5200, I'll need to order another tube. I did notice 2 steel bolts I missed on the top rail the are for the anchor pulleys. Will have to cut them off, replace and seal up.

Will let it cure a bit before flipping over and getting back to the seat bases.

Well it's official it's definitely fall almost winter weather here in Michigan. I put the boat up for the season, along with the trailer. But I kept the seat bases out, so god willing I'll get them 100% done and come spring just bolt them in. It's too cold to paint properly so I can put it all on the back burner. Will order the graphics closer to spring, so they are fresh and less likely to misplace them. :oops:

I'm hoping to pickup a 5hp outboard over the winter/spring to get it ready for next year. I'm anxious to fish,but know it'll be worth the wait for some serious crappie and bluegill's from my own little dinghy.

I'll keep reading up on other's build's and will update once I have something else to show.

Cashew

Latest posts