77 duracraft 16ft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamensemen

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum. I picked up a sweet 16ft duracraft boat. It has a 40hp yamaha enduro tiller motor for $1500. The guy before me did a lot of work to it so it's about ready to fish my some issues need to be addressed first. The transom on the back has a 1/2 plywood that's always in contact with water and guess what.... Yup it's rotted. So question, is reason for having this in there? To me I don't think so. Also any ideas on for making a bait well? There is a wood one that's been covered in resin to water seal it but they never did the outside and you probably guessed it it's rotten as well. I'm open to ideas and suggestion new to the whole aluminum boats.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,765
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 2,765
Ok I pulled off the plywood on the back of the transom and well it's a mess. There are a few corrosion spots with pin holes in it and a bunch of holes from people drilling and adding stuff to it. Question has anyone cut the aluminum back transom off and replaced it with a new one? I am thinking of doing that and adding a thicker piece of aluminum to help strengthen the transom as well. Please help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2,740
image.jpg
that's another picture of the corrosion I have.

Ok well I did some research and found a local fab shot near me and was able to talk to the people last night about my issue I have with my peppered transom. They can cut the old transom out and replace it with a thicker piece if aluminum. It will cost me around $400 to get it done. I started counting holes on the transom yesterday and got over 70 from motor mount house to corrosion to I don't know what someone drilled in for. Hope this helps anyone that's in the same boat as me.

The reason someone put a piece of wood on the outside is because the wood inside the transom is rotted. I'd remove all that wood and replace it, but maybe after the aluminum. The wood on the outside allowed water to get between and corrode the aluminum. Holes as just that, nothing some silicone can't seal. Corrosion is much more of a problem. If the transom skin is weak I'd consider replacing it.
Once that is done you can build a new solid transom and you can get back on the water. Plus now might be the time to consider adding pods on the back, since it will be at the fan shop.
Keep the pics coming.

This is my first aluminum boat so I am new to this all. Boat pods? Are they welded on? Can you use them as a ladder? What other benefits do they have?

image.jpg
Other side with wood removed
image.jpg
One side with wood removed
image.jpg
That's after carpet is removed.

Ok I ripped the old seat and bait well that was in it and it was all rotten. So next question the 2 back corner boxes has some cut out holes in it but it's filled with foam. I'm thinking of removing these boxes completely or removing the foam and but a bait well on one side and my battery on another. Would this be a good idea?

Here's the link to my build of my duracraft. I replaced my transom with a piece of solid oak. As far as your question about removing foam I think you're ok. I removed all of mine and put it back in the form of 1" closed cell between the ribs in the floor and the gunwales. Now that I'm close to done I'm still adding it around the structure I've built inside. I'll be following your build, good luck.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26781

I've read your thread and might I say you've done some good work. What have you done about a live baitwell? I've been trying to wrap my head around doing something but just haven't put my finger on it yet. My bench seat is trashed so I'm getting the fab shop to make up a new one. I found these storage liner that I can turn into a live well https://tempress.com./#!/~/product/category=442147&id=1527538 So when the new bench it put back in I may put the love well in it and battery on the other side. I'm in a little of a time crunch to do this project bc I know I won't have enough time later except go out and fish some. My wife is due on October 25 with triplets so I'll be a busy man. Thank you for the feed back and I look forward from getting helpful tips from you guys.

For a baitwell I'm going to put a divider in the livewell. I found an aluminum tray from a military medical kit at an army surplus store that has holes in it 1/8" diameter. I'm going to slide it in like a baffle so water can still flow through but prevent minners from mingling with anything in the livewell.

Cool sounds like that will work great. I found on Cabelas a livewell model 200 I think I may use.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Dry-StorLivewells/738031.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dlivewell%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=livewell&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Quick question, I am removing the solid rivets to get my bench seat out and was wanting to know if anyone found an easy way to remove them? I started to remove them with the fork end of a pry bar and a hammer and chiseled the tail off the rivet. It works but a little of a pain.

I used a grinder to grind them down flush with the metal on the inside, hit them with a nail set or small round chisel to push the river to the outside then reshape the metal around the hole with 2 hammers.

image.jpg
That's after removing the seat and the corner box. Well it's going in on Monday to get a new transome put on the back and I was thinking if I should frame out my own rear deck (how it looked before just with aluminum) or should I get the fab guys to do it. I want to make it out of aluminum but not sure on what material I'll need to do it ( square tubing, angle aluminum, use SS bolts or rivets, ect) and how to brace it to the floor and gunals. So if someone could please give me some pointers on that and if it sounds relatively simple to do ill take a shot at it. I'm pretty good with fabing stuff up so I think I can do it just need to helpful tips. I'm doing a livewell so that's going to get put in somewhere as well not sure where. Any ideas on that? One more thing how do you seal holes from old rivets? I have a bunch of those from taking the bench seat out?

To replace my rivets I used stainless steel button head bolts, 1/4" with a nylon washer between the stainless and the aluminum so the metals wouldn't touch and stay happy longer. I used nylock nuts on all bolts and 5200 if I were close to or below the water line. As far as your framing in the transom corners goes I personally would use the horizontal and vertical holes left from the removal of the bench as anchor points for my rear deck framing. Have the fab shop weld you some tabs onto the transom to bolt framing to that way you can still design the rear deck how you want.
As far as livewell I'm not sure if you seen it or not but I used my old bench seat as a livewell, turned it upside down, a couple cuts along with SS hardware and 5200 and I have a 22 gallon livewell.

Ya I am going to use the old rivet holes to put my support angle aluminum in. I going to get the fab shop to weld me a front angle on the floor where it's not painted so I'll have a forward support on the floor. I saw the livewell you made my problem is I don't have a bench seat and I haven't been able to find one. I am doing 2 storage boxes and a front tackle tray box. I going to do a temporary livewell for now till I redo the front platform and that's where I'll put it. What size aluminum angle? I was thinking of 1/16 and 1/16 for my sheet aluminum to wrap it all then do a rhino liner. Let me know if that will be thick enough.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 2,518
For the support angle 1/16 should be ok if there's enough of it. As far as a deck surface 1/16 won't be strong enough by itself to support the weight of you walking on it. It's gonna need a lot of bracing underneath. I used road signs for my floor but I put styrofoam between the ribs first the riveted the aluminum to the ribs. It worked real good. I made a couple smaller access doors from it but they won't be walked on. The ones I will be walking on have additional support. You could always go to a thicker aluminum like 1/4"

Ill probably do 1/8 thick angle and 1/4 sheet aluminum. How has your rivets held up? I was afraid that they would end up wearing out. Where I am putting my storage boxes will be towards the back of the boat on each side. I want to do a pour in foam and found a website that does a 2 part foam. Is there anything I need to look at before doing this? Certain way I need to prep the area? What should I lay down so the foam doesn't close the floor channels to allow water to flow towards the stern? https://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html That's the website I found.

I would be careful putting a live well up front. Full of water it is going to be a lot for the motor to lift. Personally I'd put it in the back.
You don't want too much weight up front, especially since you haven't had it on the water or know how it will plane.
I think I remember this being a side console. So mount the battery opposite of where you will be seated. Mount the live well across the back. This will distribute the weight evenly.

JMHO.

The livewell isn't going all the way forward just right behind the front deck. I want it to be able to be accessible for anyone that's on the boat fishing with me. Ill remember that when putting in my battery. I was thinking of doing some led lights for the deck livwell and the compartments. What's your take on that?

I laid down a piece of aluminum to prevent anything from plugging them up. SS bolts in the rivet holes have not moved, they've got to be stronger than the original rivets. As far as livewells go I have one in the front and the rear. Huntinfool is right about the increase in weight, I personally am not too worried since I have a rear livewell and a permanent 18 gallon fuel tank too. It all seems to even out fairly well.

Latest posts