Operation REVIVE!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AF1Sgt

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I just joined this site today and acquired a dead 12' Jon Boat today as well for $70. The boat needs some serious work. I plan to REVIVE it by spring 2015 by turning it into a nice comfortable fishing machine with at least 2x swivel seats, plenty of hidden storage for tackle trays and what not, install some rod, oar and net holders, carpet, lights, a fish finder, a powerful trolling motor and battery, and whatever other ideas I get along the way from you all. I've never worked on a boat so this is all new to me. I will be reading all the older posts and probably asking you professionals some questions along the way. Anyway, I'll attach pictures of it, which is how I received it today. Please follow the thread for routine updates and or to see if you can help me bring this thing back to life. Thanks for allowing me to join the forum. I look forward to chatting with and learning from you all.

v/r
AF1Sgt

Attachments

• IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,863
  • IMG_3478.JPG
    IMG_3478.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 2,863
  • IMG_3479.jpg
    IMG_3479.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 2,863
  • IMG_3481.jpg
    IMG_3481.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 2,863
  • IMG_3488.jpg
    IMG_3488.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 2,861
  • IMG_3505.JPG
    IMG_3505.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 2,861
  • IMG_3509.JPG
    IMG_3509.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 2,861
  • IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 2,861
  • IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,861
  • IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 2,861
Some more pics...

Attachments

• IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,859
  • IMG_3511.JPG
    IMG_3511.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,859
  • IMG_3508.JPG
    IMG_3508.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 2,859
  • IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,859
  • IMG_3501.JPG
    IMG_3501.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 2,859
Welcome to tinboats & thank you for your service!

That's a pretty good deal for $70. There is lots of 12 ft builds here to get ideas from so search away & enjoy the process.

Thanks for the welcome RStewart. I hope to be holding a bass like you are in the pic this coming Spring. Thanks again.

HA HA HA!!! It does have an awesome camo look huh? All that rust and rotten sealant is an excellent visual concealment, but it leaks. We'd be drowned before we could pop off 3 rounds!

It looks like you have a lot of work to do. Do you need a title in your state and did you get it?

Got the bill of sale today and headed to DMV Monday to get the title. Unless I'm missing something extra I need, I think I'm set. Is there something else do I need? Thanks!

Depends on your state and how their laws work. Im in FL and my jon boat I had previously was given to me by a buddy who had the boat for over 10 years. He never had the title so I had to take in a bill of sale and a letter signed by him stating they never registered the vessel as it was used on private property. That was all it took to have a new title created. Only issue I had was that the boat was originally a 1960's era vhull Grumman and they listed on the title 1999 homemade aluminum because there was no HIN on the boat anywhere and they could only verify ownership back to 99 with my friends letter I had.

Good to know. I think all I need is the bill of sale to get the title here in VA. We'll see how it goes. Thanks.

Hey all, here's a photo update on what I did to the 12' Jon Boat today. Hope you enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_3538.jpg
    IMG_3538.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3540.JPG
    IMG_3540.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3542_2.JPG
    IMG_3542_2.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3545.JPG
    IMG_3545.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3546.JPG
    IMG_3546.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3553.JPG
    IMG_3553.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3560.JPG
    IMG_3560.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3562.JPG
    IMG_3562.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3563.JPG
    IMG_3563.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,792
  • IMG_3572.PNG
    IMG_3572.PNG
    256.8 KB · Views: 2,792
Have you heard the saying?
The operation was a success but the patient died.
I highly recommend you get another boat.

After seeing these pics I'm not sure if I would proceed with this boat anymore. You can work with it but it's going to be a big job.

Ahhhh c'mon, where's the faith guys? I'll be fishing off this dead patient in a few months and there will be pics of it in this thread.

Do you know what a painters car is? Once a house painter gets a car for work it's not going to be good for anything again. That boat looks like it was used to paint other boats in salt water. Honestly look around for something better.

:WELCOME:

I too share the sentiment of, thank you for your service =D> .
Now onto your boat...
I've looked at all the pics & all I can say is...YIKES! #-o
You sir, have got a HELLUVA a lot of work ahead of you
(boat builders version of Navy Seal Training if you will :lol: ).
The only boat that possibly would require even more work than yours would be an older wooden runabout boat.
Some here are suggesting starting over with a different boat in better shape & I don't think that's frivolous advise at all.
But, if you have your heart set on conquering the beast, I seriously suggest for starters that you find a good capable guy who can weld aluminum at a great price & go from there.
Good luck.

1sgt, if you already have a sentimental link to that guy, then you have to keep it. I think you'll find it to be WAY more work than you want but, you can use it as a learning tool. You already know what dissimilar metals, treated lumber, and it looks like salt water, can do. Keep your eyes open for a more seaworthy hull while experimenting on the old one. Maybe learn to weld, rivet aluminium. If you can get it to hold the water out long enough, and it looks like it may take a 'full hull condom' to do that, you can learn about the stability of small hulls. You can place enough water containers in the back to simulate the weight of the motor you want, and see how it sets. The worst you can do is sink it, (grinning) it appears that it's been on the bottom before....for awhile!

(early 70's Hurlburt Fld and RAF Welford)

I'm committed to it. I don't have high hopes of turning it into a racing boat or plans to take it out on the ocean just in the shallow waters around Ft Belvoir, VA with a 50lb thrust Menn Kota. It's been a rough past few years so the time I spend working on projects is really more for my resilience than anything else. I appreciate the advice from you and everyone else and will definitely take my time and use this opportunity to learn to braze aluminum and rivet. I'm absolutely certain it will be functional, sturdy and have no leaks when I'm done. I have some materials and welding/brazing supplies on the way. Next step is to sand it down and expose the metal to get a good look then start repairing. Just so everyone knows, the pics of the rusted holes and bad parts of the boat are high above the water line. Although the pictures makes the inside of the boat look like it's rusted through, it's actually old paint, rubber, mud and other stuff that should not be there. The bottom of the boat looks good and solid. I will leak check it once I get it cleaned up and before painting. Headed to the hardware store now to get some marine quality supplies and will provide an update soon as I make some more progress. Thank you and everyone else for the encouragement and advice. Happy Holidays!

V/r

Get the boat all stripped out before spending any money. Make a budget and stick to it! There's no point in spending as much as a new boat the same size would cost or even half the cost.

Hold off on the title until it is seaworthy. Might be wasting the money. Anything is possible but I would suggest you find a bigger boat in nicer shape which should be just about any other boat you look at. That thing is just too corroded, repairs will cost more than it is worth.
Tim

Latest posts