New Jon Boat Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a nice job...sorry can't help you with the carpeting,yours look fine in the pictures.

As far as overpowering goes, will the boat hold it? Probably, more than likely. But, in the event of an accident where you are liable, the lawyers will have a field day. You better not value your stuff and money. Now, chances are, with a 14 foot jon, you aren't going to get into a deal where you have seriously injured someone, and will be held liable in court. Also, you may have issues with insurance as well. Most people probably won't insure a 14 foot jon, as homeowners insurance often covers it. But, if something happens, even if it is power unrelated, (someone rear ending the boat on the way to the lake) the insurance company may try to use the fact that it is overpowered to worm their way out of paying.

Your decision. I am not advocating either way, but I will say this, their may a boat or two behind my house that might be overpowered...... :lol:

You are paying through the nose for the Lowes/Home Depot aluminum angle aren't ya? If there is any sort of steelyard or metals supply place near you, I will almost guarantee that you will pay MUCH less for the same stuff. Or, some scrapyards sell used stuff, and you can find brand new, or almost new aluminum that people no longer have a use for, and scrap. There is probably 700 feet of 1 inch, by 1 1/2 aluminum angle, 1/16 thick, in 16 foot lengths, still bundled from the factory, that someone scrapped, and is now being sold for surplus aluminum price at my local scrapyard. Picked up 3 sections last week. Just trying to save you a few bucks if possible.

Jirwin, what type screws did you use to fasten the back seat mount to the existing bench seat?

Very nice work. It sure is gratifying to get it out on the water and fish don't ya think. On your back seat post mount you may find out it will not hold up mounted that way. I had this concern when I did mine so I ended up cuting a hole in the back side of the rear seat to make access underneath for a support board and so that I could put bolts thru it. This made it pretty solid and you don't see the hole unless you open the rear storage lid. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

Entire boat looks nice....don't sell yourself short on your carpeting job. I like the way the whole back 1/2 of the rear deck flips-up.....the wheels are turning :mrgreen:

ST

I think your carpet looks fine too. I'm no expert, but the trick I learned on carpet is work slow and use good adhesive. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you have invested in that front deck? I'm going to start a jon project in the near future, so I need to know now what it'll take to bribe the wife.

how stable is your boat with you in the front? Like if your standing or set the hook strong.

I've got a 1236, and it's got a pretty wide beam at the front as well, but I'm afraid to deck all the way to the top of the middle bench.

Your pictures don't show up anymore. Sounds like it was a nice boat. I'd love to see it.

Latest posts