Renovating a 2004 Tracker Pro175

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPI

Reaction score
I bought this last Sunday as a boat my daughter and I can use to fish out of. It's been about 20 years since I owned a boat and this is the first restoration I have attempted.
I have some years building and upholstering custom furniture so I thought I would attempt this as covering the panels with carpet is similar to upholstering furniture.

I got most everything apart this morning and now I'm trying to get the adhesive off. This is where I can use some help.
What can I use to remove the adhesive?
Can I use the same remover on plywood and the metal?
How much residue needs to be removed? Does it have to be down to the paint or can there be a thin layer of residue left on the paint?

I don't have a before picture, but it looked similar to this:

IMG_0285.JPG

Now it looks like this:
IMG_0274.JPG

DPI - welcome aboard.

you have a great start !!
one of the biggest differences between furniture and boat decks is that
the boat is exposed to some pretty harsh elements.
the wood must be preserved and waterproofed appropriately prior to covering.
if the existing adhesive is like Weldwood Contact Cement, I would leave
the old adhesive (if it is sound) and just glue over it. It could be outdoor carpet adhesive - who knows.
if you want to try the removers - do the test patches first and proceed from there.
on flat smooth surfaces, some heat from a high power heat gun and scraper may work fine.

how is that foam ? nice and dry and solid? or wet and soggy like an old mater samich.
Tracker.JPG
Read, Understand and Follow all instructions and safety precautions on any products you use.

Thanks for the welcome and the information. I found no soft foam. It all seems to be fairly firm.

I'm sorry thing about replacing the plywood decking with 1/4" aluminum. Do you see drawbacks to this? Or should I stick with the correctly prepped plywood?

You can test the foam by making a coring tool from a piece of pvc pipe. Take a length of 1.25" pvc and cut teeth into one end and push/twist it through the foam to the hull. This will let you know the condition of the foam at it's lowest point.
1/4" aluminum will be very heavy .125 should be plenty.

Did a few spot checks and found no soft foam. From what you can see, should I add foam anywhere?

I layed out the old carpet. This doesn't include any of the panels or the main deck.
IMG_0109.JPG

And I started glueing in the new stuff:
IMG_0110.JPG

when a boat is stored outside under a good tarp
or - in garage or covered shed out of the weather,
there is usually no foam-water issues.

when the boat is stored outside in the weather,
over the years, the foam will degrade with age
and soak up rain or melted snow water like a sponge.

so - if you are confident your foam will last a few more years
if protected properly, there is no need to add to what is there
unless you want to.
drainage is the issue....... the last bass boat I bought was stored outside
under a cheap blue tarp that leaked pretty bad.
then, when water got under the plywood deck, there was no drainage
on top of the foam. so the water had no place to go but "through"
the 20 year old foam. if you see places where a small hole would provide
drainage, I would do it just for insurance. build it and enjoy your boat !

in these two photos, you can see where I would drill drain holes above the floor.
if the foamed compartments are not watertight as in the second photo, I would drill the
drain holes lower. but water will only infiltrate the bottoms of the compartments
if the boat holds a lot of water. Proper drainage is the key. Provide a path of least
resistance for any accumulated water to escape.
foam drain.JPG
compartment.JPG
Tracker.JPG

how willl you store it 99% of the time?

I appreciate you taking the time to help with this. The drilling of drainage holes and the new construction foam wasn't something I thought about. I am adding this to my to-do list. On image #2, if this holds water, you would drill holes there instead of higher on the panel? Or is it better just to drill a few extra to cover the bases?

I'm not sure if the boat has been covered much of its life or not. It was under a carport when I bought it, but you could tell there was some standing water on the floor at one time. The only area that seems musty/damp was under the seats and the PO tried to use contact cement to hold the carpet down, that didn't work.

The boat will be stored in my shop unless it's on the water somewhere.

Another question. Would there be any issues with installing 120 lbs of trolling motor batteries in the bow or should they stay in the original location at the stern?

#1 - personally, i feel that the more drainage you can provide
will save you much grief in the future. IMO, internal vertical
sheet metal structures have nothing to do with water integrity.
so when a compartment is filled with pourable or spray-in
polyurethane foam, it is usually "watertight" with no drainage.
thus the accumulation of any water getting under the decking
will seap into, and be retained, by compromised foam when it dies of old age.
so the more drainage you can provide = the better.
holes at the bottom edges can only be an advantage.
(just don't drill into the hull itself).

Edit: if there is evidence of standing water at one time, and the foam-filled
compartments are not watertight at the bottom seams, this could provide
an avenue of water penetrating - thus "maybe" saturating the bottom of the foam.
I like the idea that lckstckn2smknbrls mentioned of taking a core sample
with the pipe. If you can get hold of a piece of 1/2" rigid copper pipe, I would
run the pipe down the inside corners and remove that plug of foam. Then drill a hole
from the outside that can connects to the void you just created for drainage.

#2 - as for the batteries, I have very little experience in that area.
This issue has been addressed several times in past threads.
maybe someone else can provide you with that information.

good luck in your build !

that looks very similar to what you see in a restaurant.
if you can provide a size that you need, maybe the gallery can help.
(probably cheaper than a marine supply store).

insert.JPG
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/steam-table-pans.html
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/14-x-13-x-5-plastic-white-storage-box/407PLMB.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=CPKG7pW4-dECFQVZhgodPiEJsw

Try TrackerBoatParts 518-562-2628 att- Tammy, have your Vin # ready to you hull.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably try to find a factory replacement if available.

The stern deck is coming together slowly.

IMG_0310.JPG

If you try that number I gave you that is Tracker Boat Parts original from tracker give them your whole Vin number and they can send you the exact band that goes back there

I am going that route. I sent them a message on their website with my vin and pictures of what I am looking for. If I don't get a response in the next couple of days, I will call them.
Thanks

$51 for the storage bucket and $20 for shipping. I'm going to find something else!

I did finish the stern deck(almost). There is a small cover on the starboard side that covers the rigging. That will complete the deck.

IMG_0318.JPG

IMG_0317.JPG

Finished installing one upgrade. All the fuse connectors were loose and corroded and made poor connections for the circuits. I took the old fuse block apart and tried to clean and reset the clamps but they still wouldn't hold the fuses securely. So I got the new fuse block and a cheap water resistant box and mounted them were I can access and remove the fuse panel without removing the helm and the carpeted panel. This will make it a lo easier to install new circuits.

I went from this:
IMG_0190.JPG
IMG_0328.JPG

To this:
IMG_0327.JPG

I filled some imperfections in the existing decks and reused them. Both were structurally sound with no rot or soft spots. Then I sealed both sides with 2 coats of polyurethane.

IMG_0357.JPG

IMG_0358.JPG

I am getting close and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
IMG_0361.JPG

Well this is good. Mine next lol. How soon can you start [emoji23]

Latest posts